Just off the Grandeur Feb 22-March 3

Were the desserts on the dinner menu, on the right in their own column, or did your waiter bring a separate dessert menu after dinner?

We were given a separate menu for dessert.-- 2 main choices, one sugar free and about 6 all the time desserts.

Cheers

Len

:D Giantfan13,

"We just got off our sailing on the Grandeur. Being on this site for a while, the Grandeur doesn't get as much love over here as she should. She is about the oldest ship in the fleet, but she is continually sold out and sailing her is like being with an old friend. This is our second time on her and it was a wonderful experience.

Our itinerary wasn't the best, Charleston, Port Canaveral, Bahamas and CoCo Cay..."

:cool: Hey Len, thanks for your comments!

I'm going on GOS in late May and you have answered a few questions I had. However, I was wondering when you said, "you'd been on her twice", was the first time to Bermuda? If so, how did you like that itinerary and how were the seas when you went? :confused:

Also you said,

We ate as many meals in the MDR as possible. Again, we are salmon freaks and for the most part it was always overcooked. The rest of the meals were fine, with a good variety and still have those delicious cold soups.

Sounds like we eat like you do, fish and veggies. So, I was wondering if you happened to look at the buffet before going to the MDR. If so, was the food at the buffet any better as far as variety, quality, temperature, and such? :confused:

Thanks ahead of time, Peace!!

:D

Thanks for the review! We'll be on the ship for the first time next week, so we really appreciate the timely review.

Can you come back and post a review after you go next month? :ship:

I'm going in May so maybe you can give us the lowdown!:confused:

:cool:Thanks...Peace!!

Oh excellent news! I adore Captain Ante! And yes, he is hilarious. Also, I loved when were on Grandeur and were going to be experiencing extremely rough seas the next day, he came on the PA at noon and advised passengers that, if they are prone to motion sickness, they should start taking their medications immediately because once the serious wave motion starts, it is too late. So happy that it appears he will be the Captain on our April sailing. YAY!!!

Hi, I'm curious...when did you sail?

Thanks...Peace!! :cool:

No we did not do the Bermuda run. We happen to be on her for a 12 day Caribbean, Dec 2016 just when the Grandeur was celebrating her 20 anniversary of her inaugural sail. Don't know if it is exactly the same as she does now for her 12 day run, but it was a much better itinerary than the 9 day we just did. At that time of the year, we had a very quiet cruise as far as weather and seas are concerned.

We may look at he buffet, but we always eat in the MDR for breakfast and dinner and lunch on sea days. On days the ship is in port, the Dining room isn't open for lunch. So we did eat a few lunches in the Windjammer--pizza was poor, but the fish wasn't bad. If you are a buffet person, you will probably like it, but we just like to be served and eat a bit more formally.

In the MDR except for the way they cooked the salmon, the other fish, that was on the menus, were pretty good. Since the Salmon is on basically every day as the 'Catch of the Day' we think it may be precooked a bit and then just heated up. But it is put on a very warm plate and that further cooks it. Some days it was better than others, but it was always a bit overcooked. (The veggies were always a bit hard also), but we sure didn't starve.

On a note, if they have Eggplant Parmigiana on the menu-avoid it at all costs, it is just not very good.

Cheers

Len

Hi, I'm curious...when did you sail?

Thanks...Peace!! :cool:

The last time was October 28, 2017 and the time before that was March 27, 2017...both with Captain Ante. I think it was October when he came over the PA system to tell passengers to start taking their seasickness meds for the rough seas the next day, but honestly it could have been the March-April cruise. I can't remember. :)

The last time was October 28, 2017 and the time before that was March 27, 2017...both with Captain Ante. I think it was October when he came over the PA system to tell passengers to start taking their seasickness meds for the rough seas the next day, but honestly it could have been the March-April cruise. I can't remember. :)

Odd, Thor was on February 26th 2017 and July 13th

Odd, Thor was on February 26th 2017 and July 13th

I'm not sure why that is odd; maybe they switch off when someone is on vacation? Delta, you were on both the March 27, 2017 and October 28, 2017 cruises as well. Wasn't it Captain Ante on both of those? Or am I just having a "senior" moment?

We were also on the Feb 22nd sailing..since we live in Baltimore County we have been on Enchantment & Grandeur many times. This time we were in The Royal Suite, a treat for my daughters birthday.

Just wanted to say a few words about the Royal Suite just in case anyone is considering booking it.

Royal states that it can accommodate 4 or 5 passengers.

Personally I would not do this. This suite has only 1 toilet "room", with a bidet & a basin. The steam/shower ( which was not working). Has a bathtub with jets ( which was not working).

Edited by aftermidnight
Not finished

Thank you for the Review. We will be sailing Grandeur for our 2nd time in December. You mention that she was getting some rehab...does anyone have any information on this?

As far as the menus....its definitely time for RCCL to change up a bit.

Thank you for the Review. We will be sailing Grandeur for our 2nd time in December. You mention that she was getting some rehab...does anyone have any information on this?

As far as the menus....its definitely time for RCCL to change up a bit.

The rehab was nothing major. Looks like they redid a lot of the carpeting, the theater and some deck chairs, but overall, the Grandeur still shows it's age both inside and out. We sure didn't mind though. She is a wonderful ship, and the service can't be beat.

Cheers

Len

No we did not do the Bermuda run. We happen to be on her for a 12 day Caribbean, Dec 2016 just when the Grandeur was celebrating her 20 anniversary of her inaugural sail. Don't know if it is exactly the same as she does now for her 12 day run, but it was a much better itinerary than the 9 day we just did. At that time of the year, we had a very quiet cruise as far as weather and seas are concerned.

We may look at he buffet, but we always eat in the MDR for breakfast and dinner and lunch on sea days. On days the ship is in port, the Dining room isn't open for lunch. So we did eat a few lunches in the Windjammer--pizza was poor, but the fish wasn't bad. If you are a buffet person, you will probably like it, but we just like to be served and eat a bit more formally.

In the MDR except for the way they cooked the salmon, the other fish, that was on the menus, were pretty good. Since the Salmon is on basically every day as the 'Catch of the Day' we think it may be precooked a bit and then just heated up. But it is put on a very warm plate and that further cooks it. Some days it was better than others, but it was always a bit overcooked. (The veggies were always a bit hard also), but we sure didn't starve.

On a note, if they have Eggplant Parmigiana on the menu-avoid it at all costs, it is just not very good.

Cheers

Len

Thanks Len. I appreciate your feedback. We don't like buffets most of the time!! Also like you, we won't go hungry.:D

Featfan22:cool:

We were also on the Feb 22nd sailing..since we live in Baltimore County we have been on Enchantment & Grandeur many times. This time we were in The Royal Suite, a treat for my daughters birthday.

Just wanted to say a few words about the Royal Suite just in case anyone is considering booking it.

Royal states that it can accommodate 4 or 5 passengers.

Personally I would not do this. This suite has only 1 toilet "room", with a bidet & a basin. The steam/shower ( which was not working). Has a bathtub with jets ( which was not working).

Hey Aftermidnight,:D

I was wondering, you said that you were in a Royal Suite. What was the cabin number? I'm in a Premium Suite in May!

Thanks.:cool: