New to Royal ???about grandeur

sailing july 14 on grandeur in grand suite

We are driving to port and my papers say to check in after 1100.

1. Will my suite likely be ready?

2. Best bet for a relaxing lunch?

3. Is there a separate breakfast place for suite guests?

4. I seen a lot of talk about reservations for shows but I don’t see any options in my cruise planner. Is that because there aren’t any or not enough interest to need reservations

This is only my third cruise so I’m still rather new

Your suite will be ready at the same time as other staterooms, around 1pm.

Park Cafe in the Solarium will likely be less crowded than Windjammer.

No show reservations on Grandeur, all shows are first come, first served.

Lunch in the MDR was actually pretty good. They have a "make-to-order" salad bar every day, as well as a regular lunch menu. It was never very crowded. When we went to the Windjammer for lunch, we always sat outside on the pool deck. It was easier to find seats out there.

There are usually 2 showtimes for each show, so most weren't crowded.

MDR is not available on embarkation day. We always go to Windjammer.

There is a separate breakfast restaurant for those in a GS or higher and pinnacle members. If I remember correctly, it’s in Chops but they’ll be location info in your stateroom.

One benefit we always enjoyed was a private get together (GS and above and Pinnacle) with the ship officers. They’ll offer food; sometimes lunch, and alcohol of your choice. The officers walk around the room and talk with the attendees.

They’ll be a special section of the theater reserved for the same group of passengers. It’s usually the first 2 rows of the balcony.

Lunch in the MDR was actually pretty good. They have a "make-to-order" salad bar every day, as well as a regular lunch menu. It was never very crowded. When we went to the Windjammer for lunch, we always sat outside on the pool deck. It was easier to find seats out there.

There are usually 2 showtimes for each show, so most weren't crowded.

Is lunch available in the MDR everyday or just on sea days?

• 1 month later...

This will be our ninth cruise, our first on RCCL and I am so disappointed to learn that the main dining room does not serve lunch on embarkation day. The first thing we usually do upon boarding the ship is head to the MDR for a quiet, relaxing lunch while waiting for our stateroom to be readied. I guess we'll have to come up with a plan B.

This will be our ninth cruise, our first on RCCL and I am so disappointed to learn that the main dining room does not serve lunch on embarkation day. The first thing we usually do upon boarding the ship is head to the MDR for a quiet, relaxing lunch while waiting for our stateroom to be readied. I guess we'll have to come up with a plan B.

This is standard on ALL Royal Caribbean ships.

MDR is not open for lunch on embarkation day.

Depending on the ship, there may be a specialty restaurant (extra cost) open on embarkation day.

I have never seen the MDR open on any ship, on any cruise line I have been on, on embarkation day

Yes, one of the MDRs on Princess for a specified limited time and quite nice too! That said, we also enjoy the Windjammer on embarkation day and enjoy the excitement and anticipation of fellow passengers as we begin a cruise. The OP may enjoy it even more as a suite passenger by dropping carry on baggage in the Concierge Lounge if they arrive before rooms are ready. Have a great cruise!

Edited by Colonialdame
Awkward phrasing.

I have never seen the MDR open on any ship, on any cruise line I have been on, on embarkation day

NCL too...unless they did away with it. Definitely was like that when I sailed Getaway and Escape within the last 3 years.

Hmmm, last year on Anthem, the had the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day. I remember getting on the ship and they were encouraging people to go there for lunch. We ended up going upstairs to the Windjammer instead. I remember this because I knew it was odd for the MDR to be open for lunch on embarkation day.

The OP already cruised. :D

But:

We are driving to port and my papers say to check in after 1100. You can arrive earlier and check in, but you will sit and wait until boarding.

1. Will my suite likely be ready? Boarding starts around 11AM, cabins are available around 1PM

2. Best bet for a relaxing lunch? Your only choices are the Windjammer (buffet) or light things at the Park Cafe in the Solarium. If you arrive after 12 noon, you may have trouble getting a tabel in WJ. So show up earlier, or after 1PM.

3. Is there a separate breakfast place for suite guests? On Grandeur last year it was in Giovannis, the Italian restaurant.

4. I seen a lot of talk about reservations for shows but I don’t see any options in my cruise planner. Is that because there aren’t any or not enough interest to need reservations Grandeur does not have show reservations. And they do not need it. Always seating. But, for full suites (Grand Suite or higher), there is a reserved section, in the back under the balcony. It is opened to all about 10 minutes before the show.

We always eat n MDR on the holland ships we have sailed on embarkation day-Caribbean and Alaska cruises

Hmmm, last year on Anthem, the had the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day. I remember getting on the ship and they were encouraging people to go there for lunch. We ended up going upstairs to the Windjammer instead. I remember this because I knew it was odd for the MDR to be open for lunch on embarkation day.

There was probably a luncheon for the consecutive cruisers in the Chic dining room. And then there may have been a panicked phone call from the manager of the Windjammer that they were swamped, and this solution was agreed upon. It's certainly not standard.

Park Café is open for lunch on embarkation day. Usually less crowded than WJ....but now that I've posted this, that might change by the time we all sail.

Also a very very very limited menu.

• 2 weeks later...
sailing july 14 on grandeur in grand suite

We are driving to port and my papers say to check in after 1100.

1. Will my suite likely be ready?

2. Best bet for a relaxing lunch?

3. Is there a separate breakfast place for suite guests?

4. I've seen a lot of talk about reservations for shows but I don’t see any options in my cruise planner. Is that because there aren’t any or not enough interest to need reservations

This is only my third cruise so I’m still rather new

Relaxing lunch ,if you board early ,the WJ