Hmmm .. Would you choose the Grandeur over the Celebrity Silouhette even at $80 more?

I'm a Royal fan but this one didn't make much sense in my mind. I was wanting a 12 day Southern for 2020. Something longer that went to St Croix, St Lucia, Barbados, etc..... Both Royal and Celebrity, which I've never been on had one that fit. Royal has the Grandeur out of Boston in April, 5 ports, family of four (2 kids), 12 days, premium balcony and drink package for DW and I . Celebrity had it's 12 day in April out of Ft Lauderdale. 7 ports (2 more), 4 people, premium balcony, and 2 classic drink packages for DW and I. The X Silouhette is a fancy and much newer ship versus the old Grandeur. The cost, although small, was $80 more on Royal. I don't get it .... Why are Royal prices going sky high and on old ships like the Grandeur. I love Royal but there wasn't a thing that helped me lean towards Royal on this one. I was surprised that the Celebrity ( a small step up) would be cheaper in this case. It's a real eye opener on what is going on at Royal. Which would you have chosen and why?

I'm a Royal fan but this one didn't make much sense in my mind. I was wanting a 12 day Southern for 2020. Something longer that went to St Croix, St Lucia, Barbados, etc..... Both Royal and Celebrity, which I've never been on had one that fit. Royal has the Grandeur out of Boston in April, 5 ports, family of four (2 kids), 12 days, premium balcony and drink package for DW and I . Celebrity had it's 12 day in April out of Ft Lauderdale. 7 ports (2 more), 4 people, premium balcony, and 2 classic drink packages for DW and I. The X Silouhette is a fancy and much newer ship versus the old Grandeur. The cost, although small, was $80 more on Royal. I don't get it .... Why are Royal prices going sky high and on old ships like the Grandeur. I love Royal but there wasn't a thing that helped me lean towards Royal on this one. I was surprised that the Celebrity ( a small step up) would be cheaper in this case. It's a real eye opener on what is going on at Royal. Which would you have chosen and why?

What time of year? If it's winter, I would favor cruising out of Florida as opposed to the Northeast.

The Grandeur is out of Baltimore, not Boston. But where you're leaving from and where you live matter quite a bit. There's far fewer choices out of the northern ports, and demand for the cabins can raise the prices. Supply vs. demand. :) I can drive to Baltimore in a few hours. I'd have to fly to Ft. Lauderdale. Roundtrip airfare, airport parking or transportation and all that amounts to a lot more than $80. If you have to fly either way, leaning towards the Celebrity cruise is probably reasonable.

Um...……...no.

Baltimore.

Don't scare us like that! :eek:

Hmmm .. Would you choose the Grandeur over the Celebrity Silouhette even at $80 more?

I wouldn't pick Grandeur even if Silhouette was $80 more. There is no comparison between these two ships. I'm not saying Grandeur is bad but Silhouette is that much better in every category.

Have sailed several times on Grandeur including 12 nights back in February. Haven't been aboard Silhouette yet, (have sailed her 3 S class sisters) but am booked on her for 11 nights in March 2020.

IMO Grandeur is a nice old girl who's main attraction is she's convenient for cruisers living in the mid-atlantic states that don't want to fly. She has little of the kid friendly features of the newer ships.

Celebrity S class provide a low key, relaxing experience with definitely better food experience. Also not a lot of kid features (how old are your children anyway?).

Why not also to take a look at Explorer's 9 day sailing on 4/3/20 out of Miami. Really enjoyed Explorer when she sailed from NJ. She's a bit newer and larger than Grandeur and has Flowrider, rock climbing and ice show. That sailing goes all way south to the beautiful ABC islands plus a beach stop at Labadee

I have sailed on Grandeur. I have sailed on Equinox, Silhouette's kissing cousin.

There is no question that I would choose Silhouette.

I assume that your children are quite small, since you are looking at 12 nights.

(please correct me if I am wrong about that)

Silhouette all the way.

:)

It's been a number of years, but I have sailed on both. Had a wonderful memorable cruise out of Baltimore on Grandeur with great friends; however, I would choose the Silhouette if deciding which ship. Service and food are so much better, I feel, on Celebrity. However, we did immensely enjoy our piano player on the Grandeur..............30 foot seas and all!!!

Royal has the Grandeur out of Boston in April, 5 ports, family of four (2 kids), 12 days, premium balcony and drink package for DW and I . Celebrity had it's 12 day in April out of Ft Lauderdale. 7 ports (2 more), 4 people, premium balcony, and 2 classic drink packages for DW and I. The X Silouhette is a fancy and much newer ship versus the old Grandeur. The cost, although small, was $80 more on Royal.

Celebrity absolutely. The fact that the Grandeur costs slightly more is really an accidental consequence of the laws of supply and demand. I am certain that if you looked at ocean view cabins instead of balcony cabins, you would find that the Celebrity Silhouette costs substantially more than the Grandeur. However, the price of balcony cabins on the Grandeur (and the other Vision class ships) is inflated because those ships do not have very many balcony cabins. The Grandeur has only 122 balcony cabins (excluding suites) while the Silhouette has 747 (which grows to 1160 if you include the Concierge Class and Aqua Class balcony cabins). Therefore, there is a huge gap between the price of Ocean View and Balcony cabins on the Grandeur but a much smaller gap on the Silhouette. If a non-suite balcony balcony cabin is what you want, you get much more for your money with the Silhouette.

We cruise Grandeur frequently, because we don't have to fly.

If we had to fly to cruise, Celebrity would win.

We love Grandeur, but Celebrity was our first love.