Best Beach on Tortola????

kltcruiser01

Would love some opinions on the best beach on Tortola?

Best in what way? A nice beach with all the amenities you want and easily accessible by taxi like Cane Garden Bay? A more secluded beach where you bring your own food and drink but probably will not see a fellow cruise ship passenger like Smuggler’s Cove, Long Bay (Beef Island) or Marina Cay? Or something in between like Brewers Bay or Long Bay, West End?

Edited by blue_water

I just love hearing everyone's opinions. We are there from 7 am - 3 pm so was just looking for a beach that has a little of everything. Thanks to everyone so far for giving me their honest opinion. Last time I was in Tortola I was on crutches because of a accident on an excursion a couple of days before so I really don't remember much at all. Looking forward to visiting again!!

Would love some opinions on the best beach on Tortola?

Agree with Brewer's.

Rate the view out to sea as one of the best in the Caribbean. (There will be a sigh)

Snorkel around the rocks to the left of the beach in front of the beach bar.

Be in the sea when the Pelicans dive for fish around you. You'll be astonished as to how big the sack gets under the Pelican's bill. (Underwater camera?)

If you are lucky, you could catch a sighting of the famed Tarpons.

Lastly, as this is a very small business hit bad by hurricanes, your spend on beds and in the bar will be greatly appreciated,

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive

Yes Tortola was devastated by Irma, and Nicole’s beach bar sustained major damage but I’m reading they are back up.

Another snorkeling site is Smuggler’s Cove which is our favorite beach. It is more secluded and the road is unpaved, and there may or may not be a vendor selling food & drink, or a portapotty. But another gorgeous beach. We’ve not snorkeled there personally, friends said it is good, we just love the quiet beach and view. If you were renting a vehicle you could hit both, but Brewers is so much easier and is the best choice. It shouldn’t be crowded unless a large group from the ship goes there.

Luckily we are the only ship in port that day so we should good! Are taxi's easily accessible at the port?

Yes, both private and shared shuttle taxis (small minivans).

Your outward taxi will be happy to be your return at a time you select.

Beds are reasonably priced - Beach is long.

Enjoy your day.

Yes as mentioned the shared safari taxis transport 20+ passengers for $8pp or less each way and there will be taxis stopping to take you back to the port. Some folks prefer a “private” taxi for just a little more. You won’t have a problem with taxis.

Yes, both private and shared shuttle taxis (small minivans).

Your outward taxi will be happy to be your return at a time you select.

Beds are reasonably priced - Beach is long.

Enjoy your day.

Addendum

If interested, on your return allow about 45 minutes to make a stop at the working Callwood Rum Distilery, at Cane Garden Bay (on the route back). Take a quick tour, take 4 good different Rum samples for $1.00, take a bottle home (most expensive is the 10 year at about $20.00). They'll be pleased to see you.

The Callwood Distillery is reportedly the oldest continually operating distillery in the Carib and is a stop when taking an island tour. It is located in CGB, the busiest Tortola beach destination by far, and you would have allow for time to taxi there and then taxi back to port. With just 8 hrs in port we would just enjoy Brewers and leave time to hit Sunny Caribee near the port for some spices. But if it’s a rainy day ☹️ you could run over the hill to CGB.

If you do decide to make a stop somewhere, I would strongly recommend Bananakeet on Windy Hill Road from r the spectacular panoramic views of Carrot, Apple, and Long Bays as well as Sandy Spit, Jost, and STJ. If there when open Bonky’s signature drink, the Bananakeet, is delicious! A private taxi back would stop for a small fee or tip.

😉!

I just love hearing everyone's opinions. We are there from 7 am - 3 pm so was just looking for a beach that has a little of everything. Thanks to everyone so far for giving me their honest opinion. Last time I was in Tortola I was on crutches because of a accident on an excursion a couple of days before so I really don't remember much at all. Looking forward to visiting again!!

Here is an older thread with brief descriptions of the more popular beaches to give you an idea of the amenities at each -

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2451323

This was for someone looking for a beach without the steep and winding drive over Ridge Rd -

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2613557

But with an 8-hour stop Brewers would be a great choice, whether snorkeling or just staring at that gorgeous view...easy taxi and no worries! :)

[EDIT] Get there healthy! ;)

Edited by blue_water

We absolutely love Brewers Bay.

Hey blue_water, it’s been a while since I got over here to post. I hope all is well with you. I have been trying to follow the recovery in Tortola and send my prayers and best wishes to all the locals affected who are still trying to rebuild. Here in the Houston area things continue to get better but it will take generations to realize recovery for many who lost literally everything. We still use the “Houston Strong” mantra and with the anniversary of Harvey having just passed me and my family are grateful for all we have and our ability to help. I hope to see Tortola again soon and experience to beauty of the island and the love and hospitality of her people. Until then, “Tortola Strong”!

Thanks for your post lifes-a-beach! I was actually thinking about you recently because we are going to Texas (San Antonio) this week for the first time. Seeing updates on the anniversary and being reminded of the utter devastation and how so many people are still homeless is very hard. Our upstate NY town was devastated by Hurricane Agnes in 1972 and never really fully recovered after...

We definitely share your love of Tortola and her wonderful people, and also hope to return soon.

“Tortola Strong!”

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...

Heading to Tortola for the first time in November and looking for suggestions on which beach?? We are thinking about staying on the island, so would love suggestions. Any beaches with other activities available (have 2 older teens) and restaurants/bars....assuming transportation will be available at the pier or close by?

Thanks!! :D

Heading to Tortola for the first time in November and looking for suggestions on which beach?? We are thinking about staying on the island, so would love suggestions. Any beaches with other activities available (have 2 older teens) and restaurants/bars....assuming transportation will be available at the pier or close by?

Thanks!! :D

Cane Garden Bay would be the best choice for a family looking for beach restaurants/bars and water toys. Several group safari taxis will be waiting at the pier to drop visitors st CGB for ~$8pp each way. It will be crowded and there are several places renting lounges/umbrellas and serving lunch, our fav spot is Myett’s since Stanley’s (Tony’s) is no longer there.

Do you mean you are also looking for suggestions for where to stay on a future land-based visit? If so there are several options from beach hotels innCGB like Myett’s to mountainside villas or a hotel like Heritage Inn or more upscale hotels like Sugarmill. You could take a private taxi and stop by these places if time allows. The Tortola forum on trip advisor would be a good place to start you research, and TTOL is another great resource for all things BVI -

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/7/1/british-virgin-islands.html

Hi, we're a group of 10ppl. mostly senior from 60-70. We just want to go on a nice clear water beach and maybe some snorkeling where it's easily accessible by taxis. Any one has recommendation?

Also, how does taxi work? how much ?

Thanks

Definitely Brewers Bay. Safari taxis transport groups of 20+ passengers for ~$8pp each way and will return to pick you up. You can also take private taxis for just a little more.

You will probably need your own gear.

Cane Garden Bay would be the best choice for a family looking for beach restaurants/bars and water toys. Several group safari taxis will be waiting at the pier to drop visitors st CGB for ~$8pp each way. It will be crowded and there are several places renting lounges/umbrellas and serving lunch, our fav spot is Myett’s since Stanley’s (Tony’s) is no longer there.

Do you mean you are also looking for suggestions for where to stay on a future land-based visit? If so there are several options from beach hotels innCGB like Myett’s to mountainside villas or a hotel like Heritage Inn or more upscale hotels like Sugarmill. You could take a private taxi and stop by these places if time allows. The Tortola forum on trip advisor would be a good place to start you research, and TTOL is another great resource for all things BVI -

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/7/1/british-virgin-islands.html

Thank you so much!!! Just the advice we were looking for!! :D