Earliest flight time out of BCN?

rusty2

We are on a Journey cruise in Oct 2018 ending in Barcelona. Ship itinerary says arrival in Barcelona at 7:00. Is there enough time to make a flight to ATL out of BCN at 10:30? Or should I schedule a later flight? Thank you.

We are on a Journey cruise in Oct 2018 ending in Barcelona. Ship itinerary says arrival in Barcelona at 7:00. Is there enough time to make a flight to ATL out of BCN at 10:30? Or should I schedule a later flight? Thank you.

I'd schedule a later flight... I generally stick to the noon recommendation.

I've had 10:30 flights home and been OK. Request first group off the ship (usually around 8 am). Getting bags shoreside and thru customs is usually not time-consuming, and there'll be a lot of taxis outside. It's a half hour max to the airport. Should be there before 9, which is OK for a 10:30 flight.

Noon would be very conservative (and safe), but you'll probably wind up cooling your heels in the waiting lounge for a couple of hours.

I'm on the same sailing and hoping to make my 10:55 to EWR. I'll be packed and at the door at 7am.

Personally I'd allow more time, although I caught a flight at 1010 last week after disembarking from Quest at 0815, we had actually planned to catch the 1145 to London. Remember that the current fluid situation in Catalonia means that there are sometimes demonstrations and strikes which could throw your plans into disarray if for example the roads are blocked or the ship docks later than planned - it depends on your attitude to risk I suppose. I am quite risk averse in these situations, for example I always arrive into a city at least the day before I'm due to sail (unless I'm driving there) but I know others are happy to fly in and go straight to the port .

Personally I would go for a later flight. The last time we flew out of Barcelona we nearly missed our flight as we waited almost an hour to get through passport control at the airport. We ended up having to ‘bunk’ the queue. That was flying to UK.

I would DEFINITELY leave more time! We flew out of BCN recently and we had 3 hours and still nearly missed the flight. Things are crazy there right now and we were told it was because of the political situation. The line for security was ridiculous, they were moving slow, I was tagged for an extra search, which took forever, I would be happy to never fly out of that airport again. EVER!

You have me defiantly worried about making my 10:55 flight out of BCN. I didn't consider the latest situations there. We are spending time in Rome before the cruise and I would have liked to just head home after.

But here is my question, I was in Barcelona twice earlier this year ( before the problems), each time no matter how early I got to the airport the Intl. counters didn’t open until 8 am. Is that still the case? If so, what is the benefit of getting there before then?

We disembarked Quest for a 7.15 coach to Barcelona Airport a couple of weeks ago. Our flight was at 11.20 and we had AGES to wait at the airport at that time in the morning. Everything was very smooth at the ship's end and also at the airport.

You have me defiantly worried about making my 10:55 flight out of BCN. I didn't consider the latest situations there. We are spending time in Rome before the cruise and I would have liked to just head home after.

But here is my question, I was in Barcelona twice earlier this year ( before the problems), each time no matter how early I got to the airport the Intl. counters didn’t open until 8 am. Is that still the case? If so, what is the benefit of getting there before then?

If your flight is 10:55 am, check in is open from 7:55 am to 9:55 am. There’s no use coming earlier. You’ll easily make it.

If your flight is 10:55 am, check in is open from 7:55 am to 9:55 am. There’s no use coming earlier. You’ll easily make it.

I agree you will easily make check in - it’s security and passport control where the delays are which are after check in.

I'm sorry but you cannot make that definitive a statement. In normal times yes but I would be less sure at the moment. Yesterday for example the road between Barcelona and the airport was closed for some time by demonstrators, three weeks ago my daughter was returning from Barcelona and had to walk more than 2 miles with her luggage in order to catch a bus to the airport because some of the roads downtown were also blocked off and many taxi (and limo) drivers were striking and the airport bus was running a limited amended service.

I reitterate, you may make it in time for your flight but you might not so the longer you have to get to the airport the better, even if you get there before check-in opens or have to hang around before the next flight - unless of course you have a fully flexible ticket. If you have a restricted ticket then the airlines have no obligation to carry you on a later flight at all, even if there is any space, even if the reason for missing the flight is down to extraordinary circumstances.

I’d really like to get home the day we arrive in Barcelona. I understand all the problems that can occur, but one can’t really plan for some of the things that have been noted. Even if I were to stay an extra day in Barcelona, what time should I leave from the hotel to BCN for a 10:55 flight, 6 am..5am?

I found a 1-stop (MUC) to EWR that leaves at 11:55am, maybe I’ll take that and give myself another hour cushion. I’ll have a beer and pretzel on the stopover!

I'm sorry but you cannot make that definitive a statement.

Nothing in life is 100% certain. I have been taking 200+ flights a year for the past 15 years and have never missed a flight. I could try to plan for the worst case scenario every time I travel, but that just makes zero sense to me. I disembarked Seabourn at 7:30 am in Barcelona 5 weeks ago and easily made my 9:30 am flight. I even had time for breakfast at the airport.

Nothing in life is 100% certain. I have been taking 200+ flights a year for the past 15 years and have never missed a flight. I could try to plan for the worst case scenario every time I travel, but that just makes zero sense to me. I disembarked Seabourn at 7:30 am in Barcelona 5 weeks ago and easily made my 9:30 am flight. I even had time for breakfast at the airport.

I travel often for business, but mostly within the US. If I had to leave time for every worse case scenario I'd spend all my time in airports. I'm trying to talk myself into sticking with the first plan...the 10:50 flight!

I would be more inclined to take an early flight if I had priority, either flying in business/first class or elite status with the airline. We arrived around 8:00 am for our flight home the day after we disembarked and there was an impressive crowd waiting to check in (there were 5-6 ships in port that day). The priority line had one other party in front us and there was also a separate priority security line that was virtually empty. I'm not sure if our airline elite status would have gotten us into that line, but I think so.

We had a problem once in Barcelona docking late due to high winds, so we always stay an extra day. I don't think that there would be any demonstrations that early in the day, but you never know.

If you are talking about the sailing starting 6th of October and ending in BCN 15th October the azamara departure transfer program says earliest guaranteed departure are flights after 11:00

Thanks for the information..... I'm so close!!

I’d really like to get home the day we arrive in Barcelona. I understand all the problems that can occur, but one can’t really plan for some of the things that have been noted. Even if I were to stay an extra day in Barcelona, what time should I leave from the hotel to BCN for a 10:55 flight, 6 am..5am?

I found a 1-stop (MUC) to EWR that leaves at 11:55am, maybe I’ll take that and give myself another hour cushion. I’ll have a beer and pretzel on the stopover!

We had a 10:00 am flight and left our hotel on La Rambla a little after 7:15. It was a Sunday morning, no traffic and our cabbie, Mario Andretti himself:eek:, got us there in about 20 minutes. For a weekday I would allow a little more time.