What is your favorite dish to order on an Azamara cruise?

SuzCruise

We depart on our first Azamara cruise in 3 weeks and I am enjoying scheduling tours and activities for our cruise. First we have a trip to New Orleans, which means I have food on the mind as well. We've cruised a bit in the past, mostly luxury lines, and have a few favorite dishes on different ships. I'm eager to hear what I should not miss on the Quest. Please help get my mouth watering by sharing your favorite dish to order when onboard. If you happen to have a favorite bartender or location on the ship to get a manhattan or old fashioned, you'd make my husband very happy, as well.

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Susan

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They move bartenders and waiters around each cruise. Until I get on I am not sure who,is there. But if you can find Ruby or Maria tell them how you like your drink and it will be prefect. If willing to upgrade even more so.another favorite will be on holiday. I need to see who is there.

The Sunset Bar is lovely in the late afternoon, and also a nice place to take your buffet meal ( if you can find a table).

It’s very difficult to choose a dish, they’re all lovely. However a few of our favourites are : corned beef hash at breakfast in Windows buffet, escargots on the everyday starter menu in Discoveries, Chateaubriand in Prime C.

Aldin is our favourite barman, he works in various bars.

Another vote for cheatubriand in Prime c, it is a sharing dish, if one person likes more meat than the other then it works fine.

Guess who gets the biggest portion.

Also love the sole boned at the table in Aqualina.

Edited by Bloodaxe

The Goat's Cheese Soufflé and Lobster Ravioli appetisers in Aqualina. Then the Dover Sole without the Puttanesca sauce....just lemon and butter is perfect. The Veal in Aqualina is great too. In Prime C it would be a Filet Mignon with Steak Fries and Peppercorn Sauce. Followed by a Soufflé ...on the cruise last week they did a few fantastic special soufflés. The White Chocolate and Cappucino ones were memorable. Also the Mango Creme Brûlée is lovely.

The soups are delicious, particularly the Pumpkin Soup and the Lobster Bisque soup. I have a friend who is very partial to the Pea Soup as well.

We never miss Italian Buffet in Windows. Last week it was excellent. Also I love Indian Buffet night too, but sadly my friends don't like curry. If you like Indian food then it is fantastic. The burgers in the Patio at night are great quality and I never usually eat burgers.

Now I'm hungry just thinking about all that lovely food!

Edited by Lottie A
Forgot the soups.

Where to start

Tapas in the Living Room is a great place for a snack

Veal chop (served one evening as a special in Discoveries

Seafood Platter another special - but this time from the Patio

The food where ever was excellent :D, my jeans can testify to that :D

Thank you everyone for ruining my diet, I mean, getting me excited about the food on our cruise! Aqualina is definitely part of our plans after reading about your favorite dishes there. Is there any way to make sure we book that on a night that won't be the Indian buffet in Windows or the lobster, scallop and risotto in the MDR or the seafood platter on the patio? I don't want to miss a thing! And we have the Azamazing Evening, the White Night party and a night in Havana when we'll eat off ship. Too many meals, not enough nights!

You can ask when booking your specialty restaurants when the Indian Buffet will be held. I agree, it's a must. Also ask when the Jazz Brunch will be held so you can plan pre/post meals accordingly. It's quite a fantastic spread.

Love the escargots in Discoveries. And really enjoyed the shrimp cocktail a few times this past cruise.

Sushi in Windows is good, as is the selection of salads.

IMO Azamara excels at soup. Every day we had fantastic soup choices in Windows and Discoveries. Don't shy away from the consomme as they are divine.

For breakfast I enjoy the Swiss muesli and various stewed and fresh fruit. The made to order omlettes are always a treat.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. I've got a follow up, but related, question. If we eat at the Patio or the outside area of the buffet, are shorts appropriate for my husband? This is the Caribbean and it will be hot, and sweaty is just not a good look on anyone outside of a gym. But I'd love to enjoy dining al fresco if possible.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. I've got a follow up, but related, question. If we eat at the Patio or the outside area of the buffet, are shorts appropriate for my husband? This is the Caribbean and it will be hot, and sweaty is just not a good look on anyone outside of a gym. But I'd love to enjoy dining al fresco if possible.

No problem wearing shorts in the Patio, Sunset Bar or even inside Windows. It’s only in the MDR and speciality restaurants where shorts are not permitted at Dinner.

No problem wearing shorts in the Patio, Sunset Bar or even inside Windows. It’s only in the MDR and speciality restaurants where shorts are not permitted at Dinner.

Wonderful! That was my assumption based on the language of the dress code and the temperature on this itinerary, but wanted to make sure before we packed with that expectation. Thanks for the help!

Thank you everyone for ruining my diet, I mean, getting me excited about the food on our cruise! Aqualina is definitely part of our plans after reading about your favorite dishes there. Is there any way to make sure we book that on a night that won't be the Indian buffet in Windows or the lobster, scallop and risotto in the MDR or the seafood platter on the patio? I don't want to miss a thing! And we have the Azamazing Evening, the White Night party and a night in Havana when we'll eat off ship. Too many meals, not enough nights!

The first day’s newsletter sets out what sort of food is on the buffet for each night of the cruise, so we always keep it for the whole of the cruise - we stick it to the stateroom wall with a magnet, for easy reference.

The first day’s newsletter sets out what sort of food is on the buffet for each night of the cruise, so we always keep it for the whole of the cruise - we stick it to the stateroom wall with a magnet, for easy reference.

We keep it, too. It also has all time changes, docking vs. tendering info, arrival/departure times in ports, White Night and Azamazing Evening dates, and probably more that I'm forgetting.

We keep it, too. It also has all time changes, docking vs. tendering info, arrival/departure times in ports, White Night and Azamazing Evening dates, and probably more that I'm forgetting.

That is all great to know. I don't recall the other lines we've sailed putting so much info in the first days schedule. In the rush to unpack and the excitement of exploring the ship, it would be easy to overlook. Thanks so much for that tip!

Not true based on our recent cruise on Quest (October). I just took at a look at The Insider from the first day on board, and it only details the buffet for that night. It did note when the White Nights, Chocolate Buffet and Azamazing Evening dates. Each following Insider only noted that night's buffet feature.

Also did not have any of the other information noted above - changes, docking vs. tendering info, arrival/departure times in ports, etc. Important information specifically for that day, yes, but not for the entire cruise.

Not true based on our recent cruise on Quest (October). I just took at a look at The Insider from the first day on board, and it only details the buffet for that night. It did note when the White Nights, Chocolate Buffet and Azamazing Evening dates. Each following Insider only noted that night's buffet feature.

Also did not have any of the other information noted above - changes, docking vs. tendering info, arrival/departure times in ports, etc. Important information specifically for that day, yes, but not for the entire cruise.

That is a shame, as I've already noted my Travel Diary to look out for The Insider on the first day on board. Passengers like to be able to plan ahead, especially if tendering is involved where tenders dock.

On this cruise, I think tendering is only at Ko Samui and Halong Bay.

The cruise itinerary will be clearly noted on the Azamara website. It will note if the ship is docked or tendered and name of the port.

Your can find out more about ports in Asia here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Or go to the specific Trip Advisor Forum for that local. Here's the link to Ko Samui - Azamara does tender here:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g293918-i7560-Ko_Samui_Surat_Thani_Province.html