Flights from NCL via LHR to Miami

I night overnight

Free excursions each day if wanted

Free drinks etc

Price per person

£3799

2: Azamara Quest

Spa suite 357 sq ft

£8847 PER PERSON NOT INCLUDING FLIGHT etc.

I think most people would guess which option I will be taking.

I wonder if Azamara are really in the game any more but would welcome any ex Silversea guests would comment on my decision process.

I have 2 choices for March cruise ex Miami

1: Silversea Silver Muse

Vista Suite 345 sq ft

Flights from NCL via LHR to Miami

I night overnight

Free excursions each day if wanted

Free drinks etc

Price per person

£3799

2: Azamara Quest

Spa suite 357 sq ft

£8847 PER PERSON NOT INCLUDING FLIGHT etc.

I think most people would guess which option I will be taking.

I wonder if Azamara are really in the game any more but would welcome any ex Silversea guests would comment on my decision process.

Not much of a dilemma, the answer seems obvious.

This really is a complete no brainer. I have sailed Silversea often.

Silver Muse is a beautiful new ship and the food and included perks on Silversea are wonderful. Much as I love the onboard experience, I think Azamara have lost the plot with their future cruise pricing. They are not in the same class as Silversea when it comes to a luxurious onboard experience and they are charging more than double for a similar itinerary, not including flights! Yes, you will miss the special Azamara officer and crew interaction but it is pretty good on Silversea too.

Enjoy your Silversea cruise. 😄

This really is a complete no brainer. I have sailed Silversea often.

Silver Muse is a beautiful new ship and the food and included perks on Silversea are wonderful. Much as I love the onboard experience, I think Azamara have lost the plot with their future cruise pricing. They are not in the same class as Silversea when it comes to a luxurious onboard experience and they are charging more than double for a similar itinerary, not including flights! Yes, you will miss the special Azamara officer and crew interaction but it is pretty good on Silversea too.

Enjoy your Silversea cruise. 😄

I agree that Azamara appears to be non competitive with equal or more premium lines. However this, I believe, is coming directly from their parent company. Once I researched RCL's double/double program that was instituted in 2015 and heard the recently released quarterly report touting record profits, the success of the program is apparent. As a shareholder, I love it. As a cruiser, not so much.

As long as people are willing to fill the cabins regardless of the increased pricing and cut backs, they'll continue. Until RCL, Celebrity and Azamara cruisers find other lines to sail, RCL companies will continue grabbing profits for the stock holders not the customers.

I would really like to sail Azamara again but won't be able to until they bring pricing and perks competitive with the value of other lines.

In isolation it’s hard to generalise. I’m not sure of the itineraries of these comparative cruises. I’d agree that Azamara have increased their prices over recent months, but overall from what I’ve seen Silversea are a lot more expensive (as they should be for a luxury line). If you can get the comparative SS cruise at this price advantage then I say go for it. I just did a price comparison for a January 2019 cruise I’m booked on with Azamara. No comparison. SS are WAY more expensive and personally I don’t have to cruise in a large suite.

Btw, I’m not quite sure what your LCV membership in the title has to do with it.

Phil

In isolation it’s hard to generalise. I’m not sure of the itineraries of these comparative cruises. I’d agree that Azamara have increased their prices over recent months, but overall from what I’ve seen Silversea are a lot more expensive (as they should be for a luxury line). If you can get the comparative SS cruise at this price advantage then I say go for it. I just did a price comparison for a January 2019 cruise I’m booked on with Azamara. No comparison. SS are WAY more expensive and personally I don’t have to cruise in a large suite.

Btw, I’m not quite sure what your LCV membership in the title has to do with it.

Phil

In our Canadian market as well, right now you are absolutely correct re: Silverseas and its prices.

If the reference is to the March 9 Azamara cruise, if interested I would be checking with my travel agent. In comparison with the next two cruises, that fare is wildly out of line.

And an on-line agent has it listed as "sold out".

I expect both are mistakes.

As Nordski says I think you need to speak to your agent because there’s a lot not correct with what you’ve been quoted not least the cruises are in April not March.

A very well known UK agent who packages flights into quotes is showing Silversea at £6899 - the cheaper cabins are sold out. It’s also a northerly crossing which personally doesn’t appeal so much.

The same agent is showing Azamara including flights for £3549 in a suite - but no availability I suspect because there’s a price glitch and that’s the cruise only fare. I can see you can get your preferred Owners Suite for £7395 direct from Azamara the spa is actually sold out though you would have flghts to add. Azamara is doing a better crossing in my view your suite far bigger than the Silverseas one you quote.

As Silverseas would actually be £7598 to go Business class you’ve plenty to play with to go cruise only on Azamara and do your own flights in a Club continent suite which is a more valid comparison anyway.

I’m assuming you told us your status to illustrate the Azamara prices had a 5% discount? If not as Phil says status is irrelevant but if you are regularly booking Azamara at home rather than onboard it’s a good idea to always have one certificate- we get one onboard just in case if we’ve used up all ours back home.

But first and most important you should rechecks these prices and availability and comes back and tell us the actual figures and availability as I’m sure you’d want both cruise lines correctly represented here.

As Nordski says I think you need to speak to your agent because there’s a lot not correct with what you’ve been quoted not least the cruises are in April not March.

You were very kind in not pointing out that I was looking at the wrong cruise.

I thought it was March 9 because of the clearly incorrect Azamara pricing. That was a too hasty assumption.

I also very much appreciate the information we receive here concerning the UK market.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We haven't cruised with Silversea for a number of years but they used to describe all their staterooms as suites. A Vista suite is an ocean view (no balcony) albeit on Silver Muse they are about twice the size of those on Azamara and with a bathroom and walk-in wardrobe. Other than in size I doubt that it would be comparable to a spa suite.

Thanks Ann,

Just checked Azamara prices today 10.00am and Spa suite is showing availability in 9002 at £17962. 9 March

Not sure what you meant re Northerly crossing as this is a Cuba cruise for Azamara.

The main point obviously is to shop around

The point of discoverer Plus was to show my "loyalty" to Az.

After my last experience when AZ "forgot " to book our connecting flight back to NCL and Az customer services calling 3 hours of frustrating time with customer services to sort it out as they would only deal with my travel agent despite being stuck at Rome airport, a "slight inconvenience" I am not too impressed at the moment.

As bloodaxe says at least the share price is good news!!!

My apologies I thought you were referring to the transatlantic cruise.

Regards flight bookings - rule no 1 always check the flights that have been booked and your travel agent let you down as they too are responsible for checking. They should give you the airline booking reference as well so you can double check.

Also are you sure Azamara were responsible for the flights and it wasn’t a bundled package favoured by certain uk agents where they do the flights on behalf of the cruise line

People can of course be discoverer plus with no loyalty to Azamara but in your case if you’re not going to be able to love them and with a price difference plus the recent baggage that could be an issue then Silverseas and no balcony it is

Edited by uktog

Thanks Ann,

Just checked Azamara prices today 10.00am and Spa suite is showing availability in 9002 at £17962. 9 March

Not sure what you meant re Northerly crossing as this is a Cuba cruise for Azamara.

The main point obviously is to shop around

The point of discoverer Plus was to show my "loyalty" to Az.

After my last experience when AZ "forgot " to book our connecting flight back to NCL and Az customer services calling 3 hours of frustrating time with customer services to sort it out as they would only deal with my travel agent despite being stuck at Rome airport, a "slight inconvenience" I am not too impressed at the moment.

As bloodaxe says at least the share price is good news!!!

As another discoverer plus I know what you mean with price increases with Azamara. Enjoy your Silversea cruise.

Ann

Thanks for tip re airline tickets etc.

Sadly this was of Azamara's doing as we always use a local travel agent who books flights etc through Az.

I know it may be more expensive but it does mean that he and we can discuss our requirements exactly.

We had BA ref etc but on booking in at Rome they could "see" we had booked Club Europe seats but had no "ticket" number. so unable to process onward booking.

On trying to book in on ship the second portion i.e. LHR to NCl had shown "unable to book in at this time" so no alarm bells until arrival at airport.

Geoff

PS Silversea price is for balcony as well

A very well known UK agent who packages flights into quotes is showing Silversea at £6899 - the cheaper cabins are sold out. It’s also a northerly crossing which personally doesn’t appeal so much.

The same agent is showing Azamara including flights for £3549 in a suite - but no availability I suspect because there’s a price glitch and that’s the cruise only fare. I can see you can get your preferred Owners Suite for £7395 direct from Azamara the spa is actually sold out though you would have flghts to add. Azamara is doing a better crossing in my view your suite far bigger than the Silverseas one you quote.

As Silverseas would actually be £7598 to go Business class you’ve plenty to play with to go cruise only on Azamara and do your own flights in a Club continent suite which is a more valid comparison anyway.

I’m assuming you told us your status to illustrate the Azamara prices had a 5% discount? If not as Phil says status is irrelevant but if you are regularly booking Azamara at home rather than onboard it’s a good idea to always have one certificate- we get one onboard just in case if we’ve used up all ours back home.

But first and most important you should rechecks these prices and availability and comes back and tell us the actual figures and availability as I’m sure you’d want both cruise lines correctly represented here.

Can you explain what the 5% discount is about? We are also at that level and I've not heard of that before.

If you book onboard you receive a discount based on your loyalty level.

If you are not able when onboard to make a choice and commit to a booking you can buy a future cruise certificate. The cost is effectively a deposit and you apply the certificate/deposit to a later booking you make with your travel agent. By this method you also get your loyalty discount which is actually 7.5% if you are discoverer plus.

On board bookings also get OBC but future cruise certificate do not. The benefit is in addition to anything your travel agent gives you and your onboard booking can be linked to your travel agent when you make it they look and see who you booked that cruise with and ask you do you want to use them or someone else. A third option is you make it as a direct booking with Azamara and you can then transfer it to an agent later. In the UK we have a time limit for that but it does allow a few quick calls to see who might give us most for the booking.

If you are not able when onboard to make a choice and commit to a booking you can buy a future cruise certificate. The cost is effectively a deposit and you apply the certificate/deposit to a later booking you make with your travel agent. By this method you also get your loyalty discount which is actually 7.5% if you are discoverer plus.

On board bookings also get OBC but future cruise certificate do not. The benefit is in addition to anything your travel agent gives you and your onboard booking can be linked to your travel agent when you make it they look and see who you booked that cruise with and ask you do you want to use them or someone else. A third option is you make it as a direct booking with Azamara and you can then transfer it to an agent later. In the UK we have a time limit for that but it does allow a few quick calls to see who might give us most for the booking.

Thanks! I guess I wasn't aware of the discount because I've never booked on board (yet).

Not that it makes a huge difference, but it’s 7% for Discoverer Plus. 5% for Discoverer, 4% for Explorer, 3% for Adventurer and 10% for Discoverer Platinum.

Phil

I was informed on board that the certificate cannot be used with special online offers or other discounted offers that travel agents might have.

Hi TravelBerlin,

Some agents, more so overseas it seems to me, have negotiated special fares (aka Net Fares) so that they can then include add-ons such as inclusive air that their market may expect or even require. These are what our T&Cs refer to as restricted fares, also Interline rates or TA rates do not combine. But otherwise I believe our Azamara Passages (aka Future Cruise Certificates) combine with just about every offer. But, as T&C's state, best to check prior to purchasing one onboard.

"The Azamara Passages Offers are combinable with Azamara Club Cruises general marketplace offers, back to back savings, and single supplement savings. The Azamara Passages Offers are not combinable with certain restricted fares. For combinability rules with other programs not mentioned above please consult your Onboard Cruise Sales Manager."

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/int/le-club-voyage/terms-conditions

Not that it makes a huge difference, but it’s 7% for Discoverer Plus. 5% for Discoverer, 4% for Explorer, 3% for Adventurer and 10% for Discoverer Platinum.

Phil

That seems to have changed very recently on the UK website https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/cruiseagain

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi TravelBerlin,

Some agents, more so overseas it seems to me, have negotiated special fares (aka Net Fares) so that they can then include add-ons such as inclusive air that their market may expect or even require. These are what our T&Cs refer to as restricted fares, also Interline rates or TA rates do not combine. But otherwise I believe our Azamara Passages (aka Future Cruise Certificates) combine with just about every offer. But, as T&C's state, best to check prior to purchasing one onboard.

"The Azamara Passages Offers are combinable with Azamara Club Cruises general marketplace offers, back to back savings, and single supplement savings. The Azamara Passages Offers are not combinable with certain restricted fares. For combinability rules with other programs not mentioned above please consult your Onboard Cruise Sales Manager."

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/int/le-club-voyage/terms-conditions

Thanks very much Bonnie for this Information. I would verify what the restricted fares mean.