At the end of our Journey Cruise

woodlander1

We are currently sitting in the Living Room enjoying a small libation with the skyline of Dubai in the background. :D:D Dinner in the Patio restaurant shortly.

We disembark tomorrow after a fantastic cruise from Athens to Dubai - what sights we have seen and the Journey, Captain Magnus, Eric and all the crew have looked after us exceptionally well as ever.

Thank you Azamara

We are currently sitting in the Living Room enjoying a small libation with the skyline of Dubai in the background. :D:D Dinner in the Patio restaurant shortly.

We disembark tomorrow after a fantastic cruise from Athens to Dubai - what sights we have seen and the Journey, Captain Magnus, Eric and all the crew have looked after us exceptionally well as ever.

Thank you Azamara

We agree, it was a fabulous cruise - we had a ball!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we get back to the UK later this week I will post a bit more of our journey on the Journey! If you have any particular questions I will do my best to answer.

We are on this cruise next year, can you clarify the security arrangements, during the 4 days at sea after the Suez Canal Transit? Is it possible to sit on your balcony during the day, I know at night you are in blackout conditions but are not clear if you are able to use the balcony during daylight hours.

We are on this cruise next year, can you clarify the security arrangements, during the 4 days at sea after the Suez Canal Transit? Is it possible to sit on your balcony during the day, I know at night you are in blackout conditions but are not clear if you are able to use the balcony during daylight hours.

During the day there are no restrictions, they come into force at dusk. Even than you can still sit on your balcony so long as you don’t have the balcony light on and the curtains are closed. You can even get onto the pool deck after dark, and the view of the stars is amazing! (You can only get via the ‘smokers’ door near the pool bar.)

Grandma Cruising is quite right no restrictions during daylight hours. From sunset External lights are switched off and there is no access to Deck 5 & 10. You can access the pool deck but there is minimal lighting - great for stargazing!

The black out lasted for 6 nights.

Hope this helps

Did they bring on extra security like former soldiers with weapons?

Kathy

A security force is brought on the ship. They have always been British and ex-forces personnel when I’ve done this trip. I’ve seen the team when they’ve left the ship by motor launch and always with a large box. Make of that as you will! In addition to the security force there is 24 hour watch performed by them and crew and such things as water hoses positioned on the Promenade Deck. The ship travels at near maximum speed through the pirate area. There will be an Operation Safe Haven drill performed for guests after the ship sails and before it enters the area.

Measures are robust. I’ve never felt unsafe and yes. It’s great for stargazing!

Phil

A security force is brought on the ship. They have always been British and ex-forces personnel when I’ve done this trip. I’ve seen the team when they’ve left the ship by motor launch and always with a large box. Make of that as you will! In addition to the security force there is 24 hour watch performed by them and crew and such things as water hoses positioned on the Promenade Deck. The ship travels at near maximum speed through the pirate area. There will be an Operation Safe Haven drill performed for guests after the ship sails and before it enters the area.

Measures are robust. I’ve never felt unsafe and yes. It’s great for stargazing!

Phil

And some onboard eye candy from our boys with their toys.

In many ways probably safer then than many other times in our lives

As Excitedofharpenden says, the security guys on this cruise were British ex Service personnel. They loaded their ‘equipment’ on board from a small ship in the middle of the Red Sea. It was unloaded in Muscat and they told us it goes straight to a secure building there. They kept watch on Deck 11 aft every day, all day. As everyone said, we felt very safe. No small ships came anywhere near the Journey during its transit of the Gulf of Aden.

Um, candy...love candy;):')

I do as well, but is there a serious equity issue here?

Were all of the ex-service male?

If so, when we undertake this itinerary I must insist, solely to right past wrongs, that all be female.

I’ll check with my wife, but I’m certain she will support this important matter of principle!

And some onboard eye candy from our boys with their toys.

In many ways probably safer then than many other times in our lives

Cool....................Maybe bring one home as a souvenir..............In my dreams maybe................lol

Since I am in an aft cabin hopefully I will get to see them or at least one of them.

Are you permitted to talk to them? How many are there about?

Kathy

Edited by rabin1

Cool....................Maybe bring one home as a souvenir..............In my dreams maybe................lol

Since I am in an aft cabin hopefully I will get to see them or at least one of them.

Are you permitted to talk to them? How many are there about?

Kathy

Absolutely you can talk to them as long as you aren’t disturbing them from their duties. Same with crew on lookout. There’s usually around five or six of them.

Phil

So, trying to change the thread of this thread ;)

Ports of call from our personal view point-

Crete - we opted to do our own thing - a gentle start to the trip

Suez Canal - top top - get up early and watch the sunrise over the desert - one thing we weren’t expecting was acrid air pollution at the start of the transit - gets in the back of your throat but clears as the day goes on.

Safaga for Luxor- our recommendation would be do an overnight tour if possible. We did a private overnight one but I know the ship did an overnight trip as well. The journey to and from the ship is long and certainly the last stretch of road between Luxor and Qena (pronounced Kenna) is hard work - zillions of speed bumps as well as buses, donkey carts, pedestrians etc etc.

However certainly Luxor is a highlight and not to be missed

Aqaba- another highlight. We did a private day tour to Petra with a trip to the Wadi Rum on our way back to the ship. Top tip -either leave ship early (our pick up was 6.30am) or stay in Wadi Musa - nearest town to Petra overnight. We were on our way back from Petra and we saw ships tours on their way there!

4 sea days very welcome after busy tours to Luxor & Petra.

Salalah, Oman - not a great deal to see but nice introduction to Oman and good to get off the ship for a few hours.

Muscat, my personal favourite apart from Luxor and Petra. A real surprise - has managed to keep the balance between old & new. Very clean and friendly people.

Dubai - big, bold and brassy! Enough said!

I do as well, but is there a serious equity issue here?

Were all of the ex-service male?

If so, when we undertake this itinerary I must insist, solely to right past wrongs, that all be female.

I’ll check with my wife, but I’m certain she will support this important matter of principle!

No, no, no! No principle here. Eye candy is always male. Always has been, always will. I'm sure your wife will support me. Men looking for "eye candy" is kind of creepy. Women looking is just eccentric and "courgar-ish" and totally exceptable. Trust me.

Woodlander1, we agree with your review of the ports. We would add the following:

Crete - there was a lovely little land train that did a very nice 70 minute tour out of the town and up to high point with some wonderful views.

Suez Canal - varies more than you expect, with the odd town from time to time. Interesting to see the vessels going the other way at the crossover point.

Safaga - we did the private overnight tour too and it was excellent. Not only was it cheaper than the ship’s tour, but we saw Karnak by day as well as at the Sound & Light Show, while those on the ship’s tour only saw it at the show. The hotel used was excellent too.

Aqaba - we did the ship’s one day Petra tour which was fine, but the group was too big, so we ended up walking on our own. Wonderful to see Petra, amazing place.

Salalah - we didn’t go ashore as the town was quite some distance by taxi and the ship’s shuttle only went just outside the port gate.

Muscat - lovely town. Ship’s shuttle dropped off at the Mutrah Souq which is huge and very interesting, especially if you get away from the main drag (where all the souvenir stalls are) and see the side alleyways selling local goods.

Dubai - ship’s shuttle takes you to the Dubai Mall. It doesn’t look far but takes up to 50 minutes, depending on the traffic (very heavy in the late afternoon when we went).