Century Pricing Nearly Doubled

sandyss

and that's it for you folks? nothing additional?

I've asked my attouney overe here: within Germany situation is different:

we do have a binding contract and x is not allowed to quit exept, something is going wrong like ship sunk, earthquake at vaccation loctation or so.

If the really quit, a german guest is entiteled to book a cruise at a differnt line and x has to compensate the additional cost, or if you have booked flights and hotel to cover these cost as well.....

we do have a binding contract and x is not allowed to quit exept, something is going wrong like ship sunk, earthquake at vaccation loctation or so.

If the really quit, a german guest is entiteled to book a cruise at a differnt line and x has to compensate the additional cost, or if you have booked flights and hotel to cover these cost as well.....

I haven't the slightest idea what X will do. I was just making a cute comment.

I am a retired attorney. The principle that you mentioned is Force majeure. This involves unavoidable events, Act of God strikes. If course, the law that applies would depend on the lexi loci, or law of the place the contract is made. Probably, the fine print in your booking contract provides for what law applies. I don't know if you booked through a European company. I know that people in the UK book through a UK company.

It may be that EU regulations apply. I don't have a copy of the contract, but I would advise you to take a look at your contract.

Celebrity's website has a choice of laws provision for use of the website:

Governing Law

The Company is headquartered in Miami, Florida U.S.A., and most of the Company Websites reside on servers in Dade County or Broward County, Florida U.S.A. You agree that these terms of use shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Florida without regard to its conflict of law provisions.

You consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts in, and agree that any action at law or in equity arising out of or relating to these terms shall be filed only in, the state or federal courts located in Dade County, Florida. You hereby consent and submit to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for the purposes of litigating any such action. If any provision of these terms shall be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from these terms and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions. This is the entire agreement between us relating to the subject matter herein and shall not be modified except in writing, signed by both parties.

Any personal data you transmit to a Company Website by electronic mail or otherwise will be used by the Company in accordance with the privacy policy of the Company which you can access by clicking here. That privacy policy defines what is considered to be personal data. Any other communication or material you transmit to a Company Website, such as questions, comments and suggestions, will be treated as nonconfidential and nonproprietary. The Company shall be free to use such communication or material, including any ideas, inventions, concepts, techniques or know-how disclosed therein, for any purpose without any obligation to you.

This would apply to matters related to the use of the website.

The ticket contract on the US website provides:

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/Celebrity_CTC_Eff_08_01_10.pdf

The terms provide the carrier (Celebrity) with broad powers on cancellation of the contract.

You would need to determine if your contract included such terms.

I've had this game in 2011 ...booked flights, hotel.... total cost in the 5k/pax

From my point of view: more than "just a cruise":mad:

Had I booked flights, it would be a much bigger issue; but flights for this particular cruise can't even be booked until May 2014. But if you feel like it you should sue, by all means have at it.

I do hope that the issues surrounding "Century" will soon be resolved! We were planning to book a BtB in April 2015 but were still hesitating because we didn't really want to be on the very last cruise before she was sold away from the fleet. So we decided to wait a few more weeks before booking the cruise - but now bookings aren't available until the one for April 17 and this one is listed as "sold out". The last available/bookable cruise is March 8th., 2015.

I somehow think it must be my fault :eek: this is the second time in two months something like that happened to us: the first time was a cruise on RCL "Rhapsody" we planned to book for spring 2015 - we even had decided on a specific cabin - when the cruises from Sydney to Vancouver first disappeared for a week or two ("sold out") and then were cancelled and the ship seems to be redirected now towards the Asian market. After that disappointment we changed our cruising plans to a ship we had heard so many positive things of and places we have not visited yet - the "Century" and Japan . Now I fear that a similar thing has happened with Century . Let's hope that she will be allowed to stay in the fleet !

Check this new thread:

Century being rerouted through Suez Canal April 2015

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1957965

My thought is it's her final voyage back to an X home port where they can clear off all the collateral and branded materials before passing on to new owners.

Speculation, of course....

Check this new thread:

Century being rerouted through Suez Canal April 2015

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1957965

My thought is it's her final voyage back to an X home port where they can clear off all the collateral and branded materials before passing on to new owners.

Speculation, of course....

Curiouser and curiouser.:rolleyes:

I just got off the phone again concerning our Century Back to backs.

Our new booking confirmation has us arriving in Athens April 17th and leaving Tokyo on April 17th on another confirmation listed now as code red.

I expect it will be cancelled or replaced by a short cruise in the Med.

I just got off the phone again concerning our Century Back to backs.

Our new booking confirmation has us arriving in Athens April 17th and leaving Tokyo on April 17th on another confirmation listed now as code red.

I expect it will be cancelled or replaced by a short cruise in the Med.

Either that or they are including the flights for everyone and for the ship as well.:eek:

I've been following all the news about Century with interest as we have just booked to sail on her in February 2015.

I have to ask Cruisenut - will you do the new itineraries despite them being totally different to what you had planned?

I've been following all the news about Century with interest as we have just booked to sail on her in February 2015.

I have to ask Cruisenut - will you do the new itineraries despite them being totally different to what you had planned?

I doubt they can do that itinerary as he stated.:D

I am booked on the 17 April Cruise, having never been in this situation before, if the cruise is cancelled what will happen?

Will Celebrity transfer us to the cruise which has replaced the round Japan one, or will they compensate us?

I appreciate nobody will truly know until Celebrity annouce what is happening to the Century.

Thanks

[quote name='Rambo1985']I am booked on the 17 April Cruise, having never been in this situation before, if the cruise is cancelled what will happen?

Will Celebrity transfer us to the cruise which has replaced the round Japan one, or will they compensate us?

I appreciate nobody will truly know until Celebrity annouce what is happening to the Century.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I think you will get a full refund and $200 compensation (has been what they offered in the past) but until they announce anything, who knows. Good luck and remember that you will never walk alone.:D Edited by MicCanberra

[quote name='Bobal']

I have to ask Cruisenut - will you do the new itineraries despite them being totally different to what you had planned?[/QUOTE]

That is a very good question.
We picked Century for the unique itineraries including the Circumnavigation of Japan.

The opportunity to sail through the Suez on a Celebrity ship is unlikely to happen again.

The ports however are not as imaginative as we would have liked.
I'll be waiting for Celebrity's call about the cancelled Japan cruise which is obviously impossible.

I've just spoken to my ta and they spoke to Celebrity, according to Celebrity the sailing is going ahead and they have stopped advertising the Japan cruise.

Although i have booked many cruises with my ta, i dont believe it although they are only relaying the information from Celebrity.

Its a farce, how can Celebrity advertise a new cruise but still stay the existing one is going ahead. Guess we will have to see how this one plays out.

Celebrity Millennium has a transpacific cruise from Shanghi to Vancouver 26 April 2015 that stops in Korea and three Japanese ports. This might be a substitute for the Around Japan cruise.
Still, I have been to Shanghai and don't look forward to going through the Chinese visa process again just to sail out of Shanghai.

[quote name='4774Papa']
Still, I have been to Shanghai and don't look forward to going through the Chinese visa process again just to sail out of Shanghai.[/QUOTE]

It's been a few years since I've ben to China on a VISA.

As I recall all I used to need is a letter of invitation from someone (celebrity would provide I assume), proof of travel, maybe a passport photo - i can't remember, I may have also got a multiple entry visa, - and the application and mailed it to the Chinese consulate in DC, and was all mailed back a week or so later.

Has the procedure changed? Appreciate the heads up.

We and 4 friends had booked the B2B starting on 4/5 in Shanghai. I spent many hours researching possible excursions in China, and then booked 9 days pre-cruise and 3 days in Beijing.

Does Celebrity reimburse us for trip insurance purchased on 2 cruises that they canceled?

Moreover, I am not happy that they essentially lied to me Wednesday morning when I called and inquired about our reservations.

I don't care for the new itinerary because we just did Dubai to Rome 7 months ago with Oceania, and it was a much better itinerary with stops in Petra and Luxor.

Its official received email from my ta, the cruise is cancelled.

Celebrity have given me 3 options

1) rebook on a century or millenium cruise from the 4th January through to the 12th April
2) re-book any other sailing
3) cancel and receive a full refund

If you choose to rebook you get $400 obc if in a suite or $200 obc if in a inside, balcony, outside.

[quote name='Rambo1985']Its official received email from my ta, the cruise is cancelled.

Celebrity have given me 3 options

1) rebook on a century or millenium cruise from the 4th January through to the 12th April
2) re-book any other sailing
3) cancel and receive a full refund

If you choose to rebook you get $400 obc if in a suite or $200 obc if in a inside, balcony, outside.[/quote]
I had a voice-mail from Celebrity yesterday. Called back this morning. Took five minutes to get someone, then took another five minutes on hold to get someone from the resolutions department that knew the score for this cancellation.

We were in a veranda and the $200 OBC offered is nothing, since we booked on board and had $200 OBC that we will lose by the cruise cancellation. Also, we can book any cruise on board Infinity in January.

Celebrity could have handled this much better by sending out emails with the offer and being more flexible. Why limit rebooking to Millennium or Century?

I still love Celebrity, just not their website or the way they have handled this.

[quote name='4774Papa']I had a voice-mail from Celebrity yesterday. Called back this morning. Took five minutes to get someone, then took another five minutes on hold to get someone from the resolutions department that knew the score for this cancellation.

We were in a veranda and the $200 OBC offered is nothing, since we booked on board and had $200 OBC that we will lose by the cruise cancellation. Also, we can book any cruise on board Infinity in January.

Celebrity could have handled this much better by sending out emails with the offer and being more flexible. Why limit rebooking to Millennium or Century?

I still love Celebrity, just not their website or the way they have handled this.[/QUOTE]

So sorry that your cruise got cancelled. As far as only booking Century & Millie, isn't option #2 to cancel & book any cruise?
How else could they handle it? Email, voice mail, phone call are all pretty much the same. Also, can't you just transfer your booking to another cruise& not lose your original OBC? Just an aside, but I had to cancel a cruise booked using a Passages booking due to a death in the family, & our TA gave me a contact at Celebrity, who agreed to let us keep the OBC from our cancelled cruise on another future booking (same ship/itinerary, different sailing). So don't write off the OBC without at least asking.

Since the cruise is over one year away, I think the compensation is fair. Personally, after reading these boards regarding the unknown future of Century, I doubt that I would book a once in a lifetime cruise that will take place way over a year in the future on her- way too risky.
I sincerely hope that you are able to find a replacement sailing that fits your needs. Edited by richsea