Celebrity Infinity - South America - 2/16/14/ - Pied Piper Group

JohnKeyWest

Hi,

My partner and I recently got married and are celebrating by going on this cruise with the Pied Piper Group.

I realize we'll meet lots of "family" on this cruise. Just wondering if there are any other Cruise Critic members sailing with us.

Cheers!

John

My partner and I, both from Argentina, are also taking this cruise. We just booked it through our travel agent in Buenos Aires. It will be nice meeting you all. I did not know there was a Pied Piper group on board. What a nice surprise! Do you know how large de PP contingent is? The more the better! Hope to hear from you!

Marcelo and Jorge

Hi Marcelo and Jorge,

Thank you for finding and responding to my post.

I am not exactly sure how many are in the Pied Piper Group - but I'm going to guess it could be anywhere from 50 up to 100.

My partner and I initially booked this cruise directly with Celebrity and then, when we found out about the group, we had PP take over the reservation.

We will be in BA for four nights prior to our cruise and are really looking forward to seeing the city. We've been wanting to go to BA for ages and it's finally happening.

So, any tips on sights, restaurants, bars, etc. would be MORE than welcome. I love getting hints from locals.

Would love to chat with you more in the next few weeks!

Cheers!

John

Edited by JohnKeyWest
change

Hi Rambo,

Thanks for responding to my post.

Are you traveling with the Pied Piper Group or own your own?

We will be in BA for four nights prior to the cruise and really looking forward to it.

Look forward to chatting with you more and meeting you onboard!

Cheers!

John

Hi Ray,

I usually suggest that those of us who have "met" here on this board get together for a drink upon embarkation so we can meet each other in person and it's a great start to onboard friendships.

Steven, my partner, and I are staying at the Miravida Soho Hotel in the Palermo district.

Where are you staying?

Hi John:

I am also looking forward to meeting everybody.

Buenos Aires is a great city and has lots to see. I will be happy to answer specific question you might have, but off hand, I can't tell you about everything that needs to be seen, because I don't know what you are interested in.

Recoleta is a nice area to stay and Palermo is the new trendy area to visit. What I do suggest is not to miss the San Telmo flea market, and take a look at the exquisite antique shops in the neighbourhood, before boarding the ship. The market is very colorful and only open on Sundays. It is a very interesting place full of people.

Any question you might have, I will more than glad to answer.

Take care, you all!!!!!:p

Rambo:

Welcome to the thread. I noticed you are going to the Iguazu Falls! Simply spectacular place on earth! You will certainly enjoy it!!! Not to miss is a trip they organize there with a high speed motor boat that takes you right underneath the waterfalls on the Argentine side!!! You get wet, but it's a lot of fun!!!! Well worth it! Are you traveling solo?

JORGE

Hi Jorge

I've read good things about the falls and the pictures are amazing. Looking forward to it.

Yes I'll be travelling solo. Looking forward to meeting you on board.

It will be an amazing cruise

Yeah! I'm sure it will! Actually I might be traveling solo also. Probably Marcelo won't make it because of family problems, so if I don't find a friend who wants to come, I'll be alone in my cabin, though I am travelling with my sister and a friend of hers in another cabin. It looks like we are the only ones in this thread not travelling with Pied Piper. I am sure there'll be lots of ibteresting people! Take care!

I doubt the two of you will be the only gay guys on the ship not with the group.

Celebrity usually has LGBT gatherings plus our group will be roaming around so you will, no doubt, meet a lot of family.

Hope to meet both of you as well!

Cheers!

John

You are right, I am sure there will be more. Nobody on CC though! It's strange that Pied Piper members have not checked this board either! Maybe there won't be that many. Maybe there will! Who knows!!! JAjaja!

Anyway, let's get together for a drink on the first LGBT, Friends of Dorothy or whatever they call it meeting! Looking forward to meeting you!

Whatever info you need about BA, please don't hesitate to ask!

JORGE

It never ceases to surprise me how many gay cruisers we meet that know nothing of cruise critic.

We must have a fairly decent sized group because we have a host from Pied Piper onboard the ship. They only do that if there's enough people to warrant the expense.

I always go to the first LGBT/FOD meeting. Sometimes Celebrity schedules them at odd times but I always go to at least the first to meet and greet.

I don't know if Pied Piper is doing anything for sail away but it's always fun to meet on the deck of the ship with guys we've met on here for a toast so perhaps we can do that. We generally pick a designated spot on deck.

We generally don't sail Carnival. However, that being said we took a cruise on the new Carnival Breeze last year just because the price was too good to pass up. Surprisingly, the ship was beautiful and tasteful - nothing like their past ships. They advertised the FOD meeting at one of the bars on the aft pool deck - great location. A group of us met there every night and would drink and swim and use the spa since they were steps away from the bar. A few nights into the cruise we found out that this bar became known as the "gay bar" among passengers. We thought it was great and the bartenders didn't mind at all.

I do have one question to ask you about BA. We are staying at the Miravida Soho hotel in Palermo. Is that a good area to stay in? Do you know of any gay bars in the area that men past 40 would be comfortable in? I did read about one bar called Zoom - that sounded quite interesting :)

Cheers!

John

Hi Ray,

Yes, the FOD/LGBT meetings are usually held every day starting with the first night of boarding.

We've been on several of the Solstice class ships and they have held it at the bar near the what they are now calling the "Molecular" lounge. It's a very awkward location as it's in the middle of two traffic areas,near the art auction display and shops. The only seating is at an elongated bar and maybe a few high tops so it's not conducive to meeting people and conversation, more conducive to just staring at each other. Plus, the drinks were very unusual and I personally found them too sugary sweet and over the top.

So, what we've done in the past is, meet there the first night and see who shows up. Then we moved the gathering spot to an area that is more intimate where we can move comfortable chairs around cocktail tables - such as the martini bar or one of the other lounges.

Thankfully, the Infinity does not have this bar so they will have to use another one for the FOD/LGBT meeting.

When you board the ship, make sure and get a copy of the "Cruise Daily" and look over the activities for the day. I found a copy online of an example from the Infinity I've posted below.

You'll notice that it's advertised as Friends of Dorothy and it's at 7:45 in Michael's Club. Actually, that is a great location for the meeting. Hopefully they'll use the same lounge on our cruise. Although, as I mentioned, the time of the meeting listed may vary from day to day. Generally after the first night our past groups have met for pre-dinner cocktails.

What dining time did you select? My partner and I chose the late dining.

ci121408b.gif

Hi John

Thanks, I'll be sure to get a copy of the cruise daily.

I've always meant to go, but always find the meetings are on when I am doing other activities.

I'll make an effort to attend them this time.

Thanks.

Ray

Hi

It pains me to say this but I am cancelling this cruise.

My father has been in hospital since before christmas and although he is on the mend he will still be there whilst I am away and I wont be able to rest and enjoy myself so I have taken the decision to cancel the cruise.

I know I will go on this cruise one day, but it wont be for a couple of years.

I cant wait to read your reviews and see the pictures. I hope you all have a wonderful cruise and safe travels.

Regards

Ray.

Ray,

I am so sorry to hear about your father. I send you wishes for his full and swift recovery.

You're a good son to cancel your cruise - family is more important than anything in this world.

There will be many more cruises in the future for you to select from, for sure.

Cheers!

John

Yep - it sounds like it will be a great trip. I did Pied Piper in Asia last year and it was great. There were enough of us that the Martini Bar was quite the "gay bar" on many nights!

Staying at the Hilton a couple of days before. Looking forward to meeting everyone.