Is it time for 70's Party to be replaced?

LMaxwell

I agree it's getting a little worn but that being said the Royal Promenade was absolutely packed both weeks. As others have said maybe add more to it. 50's, 60's 70's and onward, lots of great music in every decade.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think the 70's party is really a disco party. Never liked disco. There was a lot of other great music in the 70's. I would like to see some good classic rock, British rock, or even a doo-wop party. My kids are in their early 30's and like all the music from previous decades. Anything would be better than disco.

Edited by gaylemh

I like the 70's party, but think an 80's party could be a real hoot if the CD and staff get all dressed up like they do at the 70's party.

Can't you see them dressed as Madonna? Michael Jackson? Culture Club? <insert your favorite hair band here>?

Edited by Cruzin-K

Music in all decades, maybe a blending of the two would be nice. I was at Sams club yesterday and for some reason, they were playing "Staying Alive" of course this means something since it is near a Large retirement village, LOL, but many people old and young were singing and sort of dancing to it. The same thing happened when a bar played some old big band stuff, especially "In the Mood" had every one young and old enjoying the music.

I will agree a change is needed and what great choices to add to a music party.

I disagree! We went to the 70's party on Explorer, in the Promenade, and it was packed. You could hardly move.

RC won't please everyone and I think they are looking at upbeat music with some humor. The Village People provide that.

I would enjoy the 60's music, the British Invasion.

Perhaps they need to have a "Music" party with all kinds of dance music.

And to please most of the people they would need to provide different shows depending on the demographics of the cruise.

I totally agree!! Love the 70s party! Personally . . . I hate the msic of the eighties . .. can't we just skip that decade??

Why does it have to be a change from a 70's to 80's? I love both decades and the music made was better than some of the music of today. I'd like it better to get rid of the Frank Sinatra or even the 50's era parties and have both 70's and 80's. Our family ages range from late 40-early 50's (DH and me and friends) to kids around 20's and we all love 70's and 80's music.

Having said that, I have to say that we all still enjoy the 70's party along with everyone else of all ages that pack the promenade to dance and shake their booty.

When my DH and I started cruising after our 1977 wedding, we were annoyed that the ships played big band music from the 40s all the time....now I feel old, because I enjoy the 70s music! There are enough nights in a week that the ship could have an 80s night without eliminating the 70s.

I hear what you are saying...fewer and fewer people who have lived in the 70's cruising so it should be passe right? Well, actually, not! My teen daughters loved the 70's party in the Centrum on Jewel! And there were quite a few ladies of a "certain age" still getting their groove on;)

If it was the only party they held, I'd agree with you, but the cruise line has stayed very current with white parties, glow parties, and even the silent parties (with everyone in headphones) being held on board. They seem to have a nice mix!!

If we wanna complain about parties...here is mine... I know why...it's cheaper in licensing fees; but I don't love that they don't play the most current club music and that they have such a small playlist that you keep hearing the same stuff over and over. ("it's gonna be a good night..." "They musta got a great deal...whoo hooo!";) )

My second peeve? Why does ever dance party have to be turned into a line dance by the cruise staff? Ok it works for the 70's party, but for the more contemporary parties? No nightclub I've been to has everyone out "line dancing" together:rolleyes: DH says they do it because it looks great on the cruise in review video;) I wish they would just let everyone dance!

My theory about line dancing is to get more participation -- most people don't participate as in the sailaway party etc. I haven't seen it in clubs, I have seen canga lines though. I get tired of it too.

I also have to tell you that my mother who is 81 years old who loves to dance after retiring decided on a second career as a line dance instructor. I say a career...because it is one -- I didn't realize they have special workshops, competitions worldwide. She has traveled to China to an international workshop. She choreographs her own dances and has learned how to use computers/ipad and downloads her music. She finds the dances on cruises to be very basic but still participates because she is very active and loves to dance. BTW, she doesn't charge for the classes, she holds beg, intermediate and advanced classes for any senior citizen over the age of 55. You should see those ladies putting on a show at different events. SO line dancing may be more popular than you realize.;)

I hear what you are saying...fewer and fewer people who have lived in the 70's cruising so it should be passe right? Well, actually, not! My teen daughters loved the 70's party in the Centrum on Jewel! And there were quite a few ladies of a "certain age" still getting their groove on;)

If it was the only party they held, I'd agree with you, but the cruise line has stayed very current with white parties, glow parties, and even the silent parties (with everyone in headphones) being held on board. They seem to have a nice mix!!

If we wanna complain about parties...here is mine... I know why...it's cheaper in licensing fees; but I don't love that they don't play the most current club music and that they have such a small playlist that you keep hearing the same stuff over and over. ("it's gonna be a good night..." "They musta got a great deal...whoo hooo!";) )

My second peeve? Why does ever dance party have to be turned into a line dance by the cruise staff? Ok it works for the 70's party, but for the more contemporary parties? No nightclub I've been to has everyone out "line dancing" together:rolleyes: DH says they do it because it looks great on the cruise in review video;) I wish they would just let everyone dance!

I would have to disagree with you regarding the line dances. Line dancing is a great way to pack the dance floor. It allows shy people and solos to join in on the fun when they otherwise wouldn't. There are at most about 4 line dance songs they play. That doesn't seem like very many for an entire evening. I, for one would be very disappointed if they no longer played the line dances. I'm out there for every single one. If you try it you might like it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

The disco night gets old but it's new to new cruisers. We just don't go to some of the older things. Would like to see that replaced with something else that is upbeat and fun. Also would like to see some new Production Shows. RC encourages repeat cruisers but bores us with the same things over and over.

Never go. Grew up in the 70's and couldn't handle disco then. Why would I start now? A "discussion" my wife and I have on cruises :)...

Given that the 70's produced, among others:

Dark Side of the Moon

Darkness on the Edge of Town

Sticky Fingers

Exile on Main Street

Rumors

London Calling

The Wall

Houses of the Holy

Greetings from Asbury Park

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust

Wish You Were Here

Quadraphenia

Born to Run

among others.

Last year on our 12 day on Jewell to Saint Petersburg, they did a British Invasion party, and it was a blast! But PLEASE, no more Village People!

Nope, Keep the 70's parties, they are the best night of the cruise. Since most cruises have about half new cruisers , it's new to them. Those of us who grew up with the 70's music have the money to spend on cruises, I suspect that they will be around for quite a while. It will be at least another decade before we are replaced. ;)

I don't believe that people are tired of a 70's disco theme; it is just that any repeated show would get somewhat stale. I have found that the 70's night is extremely well attended and enjoyed on all the cruises we have taken - and by all ages. The floor is always packed with 15 - 35 year-olds. I didn't find the 80's to be a particularly riveting decade. I can imagine how fast people would tire of a repeated 80's show.