"service" animals-where do we draw the line?

ozarkmama

The Americans with Disabilities Act acknowledges service dogs for PTSD and they fall under their rule and regulations, so they are far ahead of the VA with regard to this.

Yes, the VA is behind. There are organizations all over the country that match dogs to veterans. We've had several success stories from our local shelter.

The process is nothing like the "emotional "support" scam, where a doctor's note or an internet certificate are easily obtained.

PTSD dogs. First, shelter dogs are evaluated, and in have had the pleasure to be part of that. If the dog is deemed a good candidate, it goes for training. If it passes the training, the dog is matched with a human, and then the team is trained.

One aspect of all this support dog conversation has not been mentioned: tax deduction. All expenses incurred in caring for a service (or working) dog are deductible. My GSD wears a vest that says, "Working Dog in Training. Do not pet." I could get away with deducting all my expenses, but I won't. He only wears the vest to keep stupid people from approaching him without my permission.

Maybe someone should start a "pet friendly" cruise ship.....bet it would sell out fast. However I would not want to be a cabin steward on that one! Clean the toilet and change the litter? No thanks! Maybe that's where they threaten to send stewards who misbehave? They could call the ship Noah's Ark!;)

I always remember this spoof of "Whatever happened to Baby Jane". ""Ya want Sympathy, Blanche? Why, you can find it right in the dictionary...Between Suicide and Syphilis!"

Had a boss that used to say that all the time . Only he used a different "S" word than Suicide , *LOL*

• 2 weeks later...
The "fly in the ointment" here is that therapy dogs do wonders for our servicemen and women who have PTSD.....that's not BS.

PTSD is considered a legitimate ADA Disability...They are considered service dogs not therapy dogs

I just came back from a flight and the women in front of me had a lap that whined and had a long enough leash to be in the isle ! She said after getting a certificate online and now her dog gets to fly for free .She she used the money to upgrade at the airport !! One hour into the flight my allergies went off I sneezed for the next hour and half.I had to approach her an did tell her how selfish she was to not care about everyone around and think everybody would love her dog like she does.The stewardess said she could not do anything but knew it was not a service dog .Keep your dog in the carrier or leave them at home!!

I just came back from a flight and the women in front of me had a lap that whined and had a long enough leash to be in the isle ! She said after getting a certificate online and now her dog gets to fly for free .She she used the money to upgrade at the airport !! One hour into the flight my allergies went off I sneezed for the next hour and half.I had to approach her an did tell her how selfish she was to not care about everyone around and think everybody would love her dog like she does.The stewardess said she could not do anything but knew it was not a service dog .Keep your dog in the carrier or leave them at home!!

And unfortunately her "service dog" trumps your allergies..

Ok, I have been resisting but I can't resist anymore... I fully understand the value and need for legitimate service animals. I also get really fed up with people who abuse the rules and bend them to fit their own desires. That includes someone who "needs" to bring their pet on a cruise, someone who sticks on an ace bandage to pre-board a flight etc...with all of that said, I will keep all of you safe from donaldsc's service lion, I am getting a service elephant to keep me safe from anyone who brings peanuts on the ship....

I am kidding about the elephant, I am not kidding about the abusers

It reminds me of a story I saw about Disney

Disney used to have a policy whereby disabled people could go to the head of the line....makes sense right???

Until some people that were considered technically disabled thought of the idea of renting themselves out to families that wanted head of the line priveledges

Now Disney is being sued over the change in policy that know has disabled guests schedule their time for venues rather than just show up

Another example of a good idea that got ruined by people who only think about themselves

There's no "we" but the cruise lines have to suck it up towards no dogs. A DF is highly allergic to dogs so those that take "muffy" along needs to stay at home.

I partly agree with this point and it hinges around the issue of how needed a service animal is, a guide dog for example would not cause an issue in my book, emotional support is much more difficult.

The needs of those of us who are allergic should also be considered, last week I had cataract surgery, I am only 60 years old and the surgeon believes the cause was two doses of oral steroids taken in 2014 due to severe asthmatic response to an unavoidable close contact with a particular breed of dog.

Whose needs trump whose?

Disney used to have a policy whereby disabled people could go to the head of the line....makes sense right???

Until some people that were considered technically disabled thought of the idea of renting themselves out to families that wanted head of the line priveledges

Now Disney is being sued over the change in policy that know has disabled guests schedule their time for venues rather than just show up

Another example of a good idea that got ruined by people who only think about themselves

Disney has made new rides or retrofitted many of their rides so that the people in wheelchairs get in the regular lines. This covers ADA

I've been a licensed mental health professional for 13 years. I strongly believe in emotional support animals, and would help a patient with this legitimate need if they met the criteria under the law. I believe that mental illness is a legitimate disability. However, most of my patients have animals, and I've never had someone ask me for a letter declaring their need for an emotional support dog. I've spoken to colleagues about it and most of them say the same thing. At least it does seem that good therapists are not the ones who are pushing this issue. I did have a relative call me once to ask me if I could write her a letter so that she could travel on an airplane with her emotional support dog at no charge, and I refused. I know that her dog helps her with anxiety, but she isn't disabled, isn't under my care, lives in state that I am not licensed in, and in my state I am not able to provide treatment to people who I have a relationship with outside of my therapy office. This person has been treated by her PCP with anxiety medications, so I referred her to him for a letter. He would only write a letter stating that he had prescribed anxiety medications, and of course that is not what is required.

I think that licensed physicians and mental health professionals need more education on this topic, as most will not bother to do internet research to find out who qualifies and what needs to be documented.

I partly agree with this point and it hinges around the issue of how needed a service animal is, a guide dog for example would not cause an issue in my book, emotional support is much more difficult.

The needs of those of us who are allergic should also be considered, last week I had cataract surgery, I am only 60 years old and the surgeon believes the cause was two doses of oral steroids taken in 2014 due to severe asthmatic response to an unavoidable close contact with a particular breed of dog.

Whose needs trump whose?

Then contact your city, state and federal government and complain about these people that are lying about having a disability just so fluffy can go with them. This is the only way we can stop the comfort/emotional support dogs.

It really depends on the disability and whether or not the person is suffering pain or discomfort by waiting in line, but they don't distinguish and lump all disabilities together.

Years ago there was a period in my life when I needed to use a wheelchair.

Whenever I was in line for anything, people would urge me to go to the head of the line. While I appreciated the offer, it made no sense to me.

I had a comfortable seat while waiting in line, not even needing to hold my bag, which hung on the wheelchair handles, while they were the ones who needed to stand and carry their belongings.

There was no logical reason why I should go ahead of anyone else, except that they felt sorry for me.

(At places that provide wheelchair pushers, the logical reason for taking people in wheelchairs to the head of the line is to save the time of the employee pushing the chair, enabling him/her to go back and assist others. But when I was maneuvering the wheelchair on my own, there was nobody else involved.)

Since then, while standing in long lines I have often thought about that.

Believe me, I am grateful that I am able to walk and no longer need a wheelchair, but it really was much easier and more comfortable waiting in long lines seated in a wheelchair.

Edited by varoo

An emotional support animal is NOT the same as a service animal. People that abuse the system are not being fair to the legit people in need.

https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

My husband is disabled with a serious mobility issue (1 fused ankle, 1 replaced ankle and a hip. One leg is shorter than the other, so he has to throw a leg out and around in order to walk). His service dog is trained to support his balance during his walk and to help him keep his gait. Yes, he could sit in a wheelchair, but he isn't paralyzed and walking is healthier for him. The service dog is so quiet that people forget she is there. She is docile and calm, and has even been stripped of all leashes and halter to go through security (not supposed to do that, TSA!) without moving until she was commanded to go through the metal detector.

This is a sign of a service dog. It is trained to perform a task, it obeys and it is quiet and docile. They are well groomed and clean. If you encounter a fake, usually they try to play it off as a therapy dog. These dogs are required to submit in advance a letter from the treating professional to the commercial carrier. Also, if they fail to obey, bark or show aggression, they lose their privileges.

So, if you encounter a service dog working or therapy dog and they are failing the rules, you should speak to a supervisor. It is not the fault of the ordinary disabled person using a service dog, it is the failure of companies to train their staff to recognize fakers.

Finally, allergy sufferers, I apologize, but cruises and airplanes are considered common areas and you have willingly accepted these terms when you board. My husband has a right to walk and that means a service dog. He does everything according to the law. Most people are kind, a few are rude.

We will be aboard the Summit in October 2016. Consider yourselves warned.

My cousin had guide dogs from early 1940s to 1990. All were superbly trained, peaceful dogs that you never knew were there unless they needed to be of service to their human. Unfortunately, I recently had the experience of a "service" dog in the bulkhead seat next to me on a really long flight. The dog was a standard poodle, about 75-80 lbs, that refused to sit. She tried to climb into my lap. I'm a dog lover, but I had to speak up. I asked the woman what type of service her dog performed, & how long had her training been, oh & by the way, where was her service dog vest & special harness. She said Sophie was her emotional support "friend" & she'd had all of 6 weeks of training (my dogs all had longer obedience schools!) & she didn't like the harness or vest. I told her (didn't realize at the time that the flight attendants were standing beside my husband listening avidly to my every word) that a vest & harness are required when a dog is on duty. She got huffy, I stared her down, & she put the harness & vest on the dog. The dog did settle down some. The flight attendant asked me if I'd like a Bloody Mary or other beverage of my pleasure (her treat). The person departed at her location moving rapidly. We continued on our flight the rest being very uneventful.

Had a boss that used to say that all the time . Only he used a different "S" word than Suicide , *LOL*

Yeah, heard that one,too. Only issue is "S" is not really close to Suicide & Syphilus in the dictionary.

I trained service dogs for many years. The training was intense and the dog HAD to have the correct temperament or he was not placed as a service dog, end of story. Now sometimes when you sent the dog off with the new handlers (disabled person) the training was not kept up and the dog began to see what it could get away with. You can encourage the new handlers to keep up with training but people are people and some don't.

What I personally believe should happen is that Service Dogs should be licensed. They should pass through a legitimate training program or if owner-trained should be certified through a training program to prove they are fit to preform in public. I also believe they should have to be re-certified at least every couple of years to prove the handlers have kept up the training or they lose their public access rights.

Dogs do not currently have to wear a special harness, collar or any type of identification. I think they should have to carry their certified credentials when out in public.

I don't like the idea of random people asking what someones disability is or what the dog does for you. Can you imagine strangers asking you about YOUR medical conditions every time you go out in public? Well if there was a certification process then all the person would have to do is hand over this instead.

I fear the "fakers" are going to make life very difficult for those who have legitimate service dogs. I absolutely abhor those who abuse the system.

:mad:

Please, at the very least, if you are going to "fake" a service dog, make sure he is well behaved and causes no problem for those who really do need one.

The biggest reason that so many people abuse the service animal rules is because the people who allow them in are afraid to challenge them in any way and are forced to accept anything they are told. If someone walks into a hotel holding their cute little poodle wearing a "service dog" vest you can bet that no desk clerk will ever challenge them or ask for a letter. In most cases they have been told that it is against the ADA rules to do that. It really tends to be a slap to those who actually need the service animal.