Just off the Indy .....

Just off the Indy, ship loaded with "spring breakers" made it impossible to purchase a drink without a long wait. Especially by the pool, there were always 7-8 people deep all around the bar. Hardly any waiters walking around pool area. Spring breakers took over every bar on the ship! They also set 30 or so off in Jamaica for breaking rules and misbehaving. Unfortunately, that was the first port they could remove them (day 4 of our 5 day cruise)!

Sorry, that stinks! That's why I never sail during school holidays if at all possible. How stupid do you have to be to do something that will get you kicked off a ship, and have to get home at your own expense. Bet there were some angry parents having to send money to their kids.

Sorry to hear that. It's hard to avoid spring break since there are so many different weeks when school and colleges take their spring break, it's not one set time like Thanksgiving or New Year's. How did you like Independence otherwise? We just booked a 4 night cruise on her in early December, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so hopefully we're avoiding the holiday rush.

They had a large spring break group booked on there through a vendor. They were promoting just such a type of vacation. Always check for groups, especially during spring break!!!!

Edited by 9876

We had the same thing happen to us on a 4 day last year in early March. I think my daughter, 16 now, learned a lot though watching the pitiful behavior of some of the students. Also had a huge quinciniera (sp?) group on a cruise once that made some activities difficult on the cruise.

I have started to search potential ships and dates online to make sure I don't have some kind of organized group I don't want to work around on a cruise. And the shorter cruises tend to have these issues more than the 7 plus day cruises.

Just off the Indy, ship loaded with "spring breakers" made it impossible to purchase a drink without a long wait. Especially by the pool, there were always 7-8 people deep all around the bar. Hardly any waiters walking around pool area. Spring breakers took over every bar on the ship! They also set 30 or so off in Jamaica for breaking rules and misbehaving. Unfortunately, that was the first port they could remove them (day 4 of our 5 day cruise)!

How was debarkation? What method did you use?

Sorry to hear that. It's hard to avoid spring break since there are so many different weeks when school and colleges take their spring break, it's not one set time like Thanksgiving or New Year's. How did you like Independence otherwise? We just booked a 4 night cruise on her in early December, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so hopefully we're avoiding the holiday rush.

Loved the Indy! Such a beautiful ship!

They had a large spring break group booked on there through a vendor. They were promoting just such a type of vacation. Always check for groups, especially during spring break!!!!

We booked way out, and there were not any groups booked for this cruise then. Never thought to keep checking if any groups did book. Not sure I could of arranged a different cruise at that point. I think they advertised near the end to fill the ship. I was checking for price drops and the price soared about a month before sail date.

Sorry, that stinks! That's why I never sail during school holidays if at all possible. How stupid do you have to be to do something that will get you kicked off a ship, and have to get home at your own expense. Bet there were some angry parents having to send money to their kids.

Unfortunately, mix alcohol with a large group of college kids who "feed" off of each other's immaturity and that is what happens.

We've cruised spring break last three years. But two were out of San Juan and the last one Celebrity Reflection. Didn't notice any difference from January cruises. I assume 4-5 nighters from Florida are much more likely to attract the college crowd.

Sorry you had such a bad experience...We have cruised out of FLL a few times for the eastern caribbean during spring break but always doing the 8 nighters and never had a bad experience....The length of your cruise may have made a difference. Glad you enjoyed the INDY (all things aside) she's a favorite of ours.

Sorry you had such a bad experience...We have cruised out of FLL a few times for the eastern caribbean during spring break but always doing the 8 nighters and never had a bad experience....The length of your cruise may have made a difference. Glad you enjoyed the INDY (all things aside) she's a favorite of ours.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes we did enjoy the ship, and the cruise for that matter. There were also a lot of polite respectful young people on the ship too. More of the drunk and obnoxious, but it did make for good "people watching"!

I learned a valuable lesson about 4-5 day cruises out of Florida. In the past, we took 7 days cruises over Easter with our kids and never encountered this. First cruise without our kids (26, 23 and 20 years old) and ironically we end up with more than a 1000 20 year olds!

We've cruised spring break last three years. But two were out of San Juan and the last one Celebrity Reflection. Didn't notice any difference from January cruises. I assume 4-5 nighters from Florida are much more likely to attract the college crowd.

Probably because of the air fare to San Juan. Oh well, live and learn! Lol

We booked way out, and there were not any groups booked for this cruise then. Never thought to keep checking if any groups did book. Not sure I could of arranged a different cruise at that point. I think they advertised near the end to fill the ship. I was checking for price drops and the price soared about a month before sail date.

I noted the booking as of the Fall of 2015. I am sorry you had that experience. If a group is so big that it basically 'overtakes' the ship it should become a charter. Cruiselines really need to make that adjustment. In all fairness, individual bookings should not have to take on that responsibility to identify such sailings.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes we did enjoy the ship, and the cruise for that matter. There were also a lot of polite respectful young people on the ship too. More of the drunk and obnoxious, but it did make for good "people watching"!

Ahhh Yes :eek: The "people watching" many times much of the entertainment for our cruises have been provided by them, but luckily they have always been in the minority...but you do want the option of turning that off....Sorry you couldn't...but I'm sure you have some interesting stories to tell and laugh about in hindsight :D

I noted the booking as of the Fall of 2015. I am sorry you had that experience. If a group is so big that it basically 'overtakes' the ship it should become a charter. Cruiselines really need to make that adjustment. In all fairness, individual bookings should not have to take on that responsibility to identify such sailings.

Just so I know in the future, where did you note the booking being advertised as a group event? I would like to know different places to check this in the future. I work for a school and usually I can only go in March or April.

I totally agree they should of given us some type of warning for this many kids on the ship. It was easily over a 1000 if not more! In Labadee, we stood for over an hour trying to get a drink, then just gave up and boarded the ship. It was the only time we could enjoy the pool without the crowds!

It is funny you bring this up. I'm on the boat now. Our waiter was telling us he had kids climbing in the table.

I think that group is on this cruise as well if memory serves. Different passengers, but same charter group and therefore same target audience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk