STAY AWAY from diapered Monkeys!

growinassets

We just returned from the NCL Dawn cruise to St. Kitts. Even though we've heard about the monkey scam that locals pull, we were surprised to learn of how organized they've become at the game...

It starts usually with the eye contact and watching you look at the little monkeys. One local with a diapered monkey approaches you and then another local with a monkey will have the monkey jump on your shoulder. While they talk very fast and intentionally non-understandably, one will tell you that they'll use your camera to take a picture, then if they get their hands on your camera they'll snap off three or four pictures. While you might refuse, they will continue and then demand $20 (or more). Typically, they will not negotiate a price and you never knew how much they were going to 'charge' until after they've taken the pictures. You won't get your camera back until they see the cash. AND in one case the monkey even gets involved with distracting you while the local takes a look in your pockets.

This scam took place with more than 15 cruisers on our ship and every case was inside the shopping area right at the port. A couple of folks even said that the security guard was in on the scam because they approached them and told them that they had a 'verbal contract' and that they were obligated to pay up or face arrest. The cruise lines didn't seem to have a comment on this scam and most people were not aware that they did this in St. Kitts.

SO, BEWARE OF THE DIAPERED MONKEYS!!!

Well, that is horribly agressive, so it's nice of you to post the warning.

I do have to wonder though why anyone would let a stranger take their camera before they fully understand the consequences and cost. The person could be a potential thief. They are a stranger after all.

I tell you, those guys better not just let their money jump on me without my permission! (which I won't give. I don't agree with this sort of amimal exploitation for profit). I'll say no thank you politely, but if they so much as try to reach for my camera I will scream "thief" and call for the police.

Twice I've been there. Twice I've seen them with the monkeys

and twice I've ignored them and walked straight past

- but then I'm an island person from Barbados

where we have the same silly monkeys

and similar scams and tricks.. ;)

We just returned from the NCL Dawn cruise to St. Kitts. Even though we've heard about the monkey scam that locals pull, we were surprised to learn of how organized they've become at the game...

It starts usually with the eye contact and watching you look at the little monkeys. One local with a diapered monkey approaches you and then another local with a monkey will have the monkey jump on your shoulder. While they talk very fast and intentionally non-understandably, one will tell you that they'll use your camera to take a picture, then if they get their hands on your camera they'll snap off three or four pictures. While you might refuse, they will continue and then demand $20 (or more). Typically, they will not negotiate a price and you never knew how much they were going to 'charge' until after they've taken the pictures. You won't get your camera back until they see the cash. AND in one case the monkey even gets involved with distracting you while the local takes a look in your pockets.

This scam took place with more than 15 cruisers on our ship and every case was inside the shopping area right at the port. A couple of folks even said that the security guard was in on the scam because they approached them and told them that they had a 'verbal contract' and that they were obligated to pay up or face arrest. The cruise lines didn't seem to have a comment on this scam and most people were not aware that they did this in St. Kitts.

I agree, stay away from the monkey guys at the ship port.

We had something like that happen to us.

A guy walks up to my wife, hands her a monkey to hold and as soon as she takes the monkey, he demands $20.00.

The guy was very loud about her ripping him off and as we walked away the guy continued mouthing off.

He didn't get any money for his efforts.

OSJ

I'm so sorry to hear about your monkey experience. I have a friend named Ricky who has a sweet little monkey named Cindy that he takes to the beaches on cruise ship days. She is a member of his family, treated with love and respect. If you are looking to interact with a monkey she is the one to meet. I love her to pieces. I'm a huge animal lover and hate to see animals mistreated in ANYWAY, I assure you she is not. She is well loved and cared for.

I agree, stay away from the monkey guys at the ship port.

We had something like that happen to us.

A guy walks up to my wife, hands her a monkey to hold and as soon as she takes the monkey, he demands $20.00.

The guy was very loud about her ripping him off, and as we walked away the guy continued mouthing off.

He didn't get any money for his efforts. ===> He's an extortionist!

OSJ

Sounds to me like the Port Zante Authorities or the Basseterre Police Force

should do something about these extortionist kids before things get worse??

We did this at Cockleshell. The guy brought the monkey to us to get photos with us and he asked for a tip is all, he never demanded 20 bux from us. I gave him 5 bux after my wife and I both had him on our shoulder and we layed with him for a little. It was worth 5 bux to us.

• 6 years later...

My husband and I had the same experience at the port. They literally shove the monkey into your arms. I immediately gave the monkey back and asked him where the baby monkey's mother was. He said something rude and walked away. The monkey was very cute and I felt bad for it. A guy with a monkey was also at the beach but he wasnt pushy at all.

Oh just great. We will be in St Kitts next month and my 7 year old loves the monkeys that we have come across at the various places we have visited (places that are an AI and you don't pay extra to hold them). I will have to make something up to tell her, like these monkeys bite, ahead of time so she won't stand around begging to hold them the minute she sees them.

They definitely won't get my camera from me. It has a strap that tightens around my wrist. So if they go to grab it, they will be pulling my wrist with it.

Thanks for the warning. I will have to keep my eyes out for this one.

It kinda makes me nervous that someone also reported they have one at Conkelshell too, since this is where we are going for the day. :(

Oh just great. We will be in St Kitts next month and my 7 year old loves the monkeys that we have come across at the various places we have visited (places that are an AI and you don't pay extra to hold them). I will have to make something up to tell her, like these monkeys bite, ahead of time so she won't stand around begging to hold them the minute she sees them.

They definitely won't get my camera from me. It has a strap that tightens around my wrist. So if they go to grab it, they will be pulling my wrist with it.

Thanks for the warning. I will have to keep my eyes out for this one.

It kinda makes me nervous that someone also reported they have one at Conkelshell too, since this is where we are going for the day. :(

The guy with the monkey at cockleshell was not like this when we were there. (last week) The monkey stayed on his shoulder and he walked around asking if you wanted to pay to hold it and take pictures. It was $5. He didn't budge on price. The man was not super friendly but he was nothing like the person this reviewer described at the pier. We didn't get pictures. But it sounds like the person at the beach is not the same as the person the pier.

Edited by brookeq

The guy with the monkey at cockleshell was not like this when we were there. (last week) The monkey stayed on his shoulder and he walked around asking if you wanted to pay to hold it and take pictures. It was $5. He didn't budge on price. The man was not super friendly but he was nothing like the person this reviewer described at the pier. We didn't get pictures. But it sounds like the person at the beach is not the same as the person the pier.

Thanks for the info. That makes me feel a "little" better. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I'm so sorry to hear about your monkey experience. I have a friend named Ricky who has a sweet little monkey named Cindy that he takes to the beaches on cruise ship days. She is a member of his family, treated with love and respect. If you are looking to interact with a monkey she is the one to meet. I love her to pieces. I'm a huge animal lover and hate to see animals mistreated in ANYWAY, I assure you she is not. She is well loved and cared for.

:rolleyes:

Why would he take the monkey to the beaches on cruise ship day? Not buying it.

• 7 months later...