Do RC ships hold a minutes silence during Remembrance Sunday ?

I was appalled on a TA cruise on Liberty in 2011. The loud commentary of an event around the pool area continued with no silence mentioned. Many people were wearing poppies during the day and were equally annoyed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't recall one on the 2 cruises I have been on over 11th November but each ship is different.

I agree, we've had several transatlantic cruises during that time and never had it observed.

We done a 14 night on Explorer 2014, On remembrance day, the Captain made an announcement before early seating, he gave a speech, called a minutes silence, and a bugler played the last post in the centrium, it was quite a moving speech and everyone observed the minutes silence,

wendy

x

I think it can depend on the ship, the captain, cruise director's staff, itinerary, etc.

It is definitely more of a British tradition. In the US it's referred to as Vererans Day. It is a celebration/time to remember all veterans. I don't often see the "11th day, hour, minute" moment as when I lived in England. The US has so many time zones perhaps that makes a difference.

We done a 14 night on Explorer 2014, On remembrance day, the Captain made an announcement before early seating, he gave a speech, called a minutes silence, and a bugler played the last post in the centrium, it was quite a moving speech and everyone observed the minutes silence,

wendy

x

We were on that repo cruise and I remember something like that. Never seen it observed anywhere (in the US) before.

I have sailed on many Transatlantics during November and the 2 minute silence was only observed once, on a Carnival ship and British cruise Director.

The problem I find is the different cultures. The Veteran's Day in the US is celebrated as a big party RA RA RA ( I had to walk out once). The Remembrance Day for Canadians /British is a more sombre time.

I do wear my poppy with pride and am always amazed that so many Americans don't know what it symbols.

Actually in Canada it is Remembrance Day on the 11th November (not the Sunday) and it is a Public Holiday.

Edited by maryann2

I have sailed on many Transatlantics during November and the 2 minute silence was only observed once, on a Carnival ship and British cruise Director.

The problem I find is the different cultures. The Veteran's Day in the US is celebrated as a big party RA RA RA ( I had to walk out once). The Remembrance Day for Canadians /British is a more sombre time.

I do wear my poppy with pride and am always amazed that so many Americans don't know what it symbols.

Actually in Canada it is Remembrance Day on the 11th November (not the Sunday) and it is a Public Holiday.

I am well aware of the difference between Rememberance Day and Veterans Day - see my post above and wanted to respond. I have never thought of Veterans Day as "RA RA RA." Here there might be a short parade to honor the veterans, the flag, etc., but it always respectful. Local stores and restaurants often have a "free dinner or drink for all veterans," many veterans speak at schools, and local American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars have special events.

I think in the United States Memorial Day, which is celebrated in May, is more like Rememberance Day. Memorial Day honors those who have fallen and Veterans Day honors those who served.

The RA RA part was a bit uncalled for.

Americans may or may not know much about your observances but we have respect enough to not walk out of any trumpet ceremonies and honorings.

We are proud of our veterans and very respectful of yours.

I was appalled on a TA cruise on Liberty in 2011. The loud commentary of an event around the pool area continued with no silence mentioned. Many people were wearing poppies during the day and were equally annoyed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on that sailing. If I recall our CC group did observe moment's silence on our own.

I am well aware of the difference between Rememberance Day and Veterans Day - see my post above and wanted to respond. I have never thought of Veterans Day as "RA RA RA." Here there might be a short parade to honor the veterans, the flag, etc., but it always respectful. Local stores and restaurants often have a "free dinner or drink for all veterans," many veterans speak at schools, and local American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars have special events.

I think in the United States Memorial Day, which is celebrated in May, is more like Rememberance Day. Memorial Day honors those who have fallen and Veterans Day honors those who served.

The RA RA part was a bit uncalled for.

Americans may or may not know much about your observances but we have respect enough to not walk out of any trumpet ceremonies and honorings.

We are proud of our veterans and very respectful of yours.

I do deeply apologise for the RA comment. I did not mean to upset anyone and of course I also honour all veterans. I should have said it felt like a party atmosphere to me..

My father was killed in action in 1945 and Remembrance Day to me is remembering all those who have died.

Every RC cruise that we have taken in November has done a service. The larger ships, Independence and Navigator, had the ceremony in the theatre. Very well attended, passengers dressed appropriately, and was conducted by some of the officers onboard who served in their respective countries military. Afterward they all stood at the exit thanking everyone for their attendance. It gave you the opportunity to thank *them* for their service.

Another one was out by the pool on a Radiance class ship. Veterans onboard were asked to gather around, there were prayers and a moment of silence.

If I were you, go ask at guest services as soon as you board. If the ship hasn't thought of it ahead of time this will give them an opportunity to arrange something, even if it is just a moment of silence throughout the entire ship.

Teri

We were on a TA on Adventure a few years ago and they did have a minutes silence. The cruise director and many of the passengers were British, so maybe that is why they did it. We've been on other ships since and no mention of it.

Julie

If I were you, go ask at guest services as soon as you board. If the ship hasn't thought of it ahead of time this will give them an opportunity to arrange something, even if it is just a moment of silence throughout the entire ship.

Teri

This is a really good suggestion.

Not sure if such a thing is necessary any-more - put it to rest!

I think having a ceremony somewhere on the ship is fine - but having everybody to be subjected to such an act is not!

I thought it was called Armistice Day.

Commemorates the end of WW1.

Very popular with French welders. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Very popular with French welders. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

That is exactly the problem - today all kind of weird groups take advantage of these out-of-date ceremony's - using them for their own purpose!

They should not be celebrated publicly any more - I am with the FIFA on this one!

Just wondering to RC ships hold a minutes silence during Remembrance Sunday or 11hr of 11th day of 11th month ? to remember those who fought in WW2

I will be in the middle of the Pacific on the 11th Nov

As others have noted, I would not expect a British/Canadian/elsewhere in the Commonwealth style Remembrance Day commemoration other than on itineraries that depart the UK or Commonwealth countries.

In the U.S. November 11th is Veteran's Day (formerly Armistice Day in the U.S.) and is traditionally a celebration of of all veterans, living and dead, rather than the somber event it is the UK.

Our equivalent of Remembrance Day is Memorial Day, which began in the 19th Century following our Civil War.

So if your cruise departs the U.S. or is predominately occupied by Americans, I wouldn't expect much in the way of a commemoration.

If you will be in the middle of the pacific (not atlantic) I would not be surprised, especially if people ask at guest services early. Probably depends on the demographics of people on board. We were on an April cruise from Sydney to Hawaii (Rhapsody) and someone organised a dawn service for ANZAC day on the pool deck, complete with a lone Saxophonist playing the Last Post. It was noted in the cruise compasses and was very well attended, including many US service people and families. It was amazing watching the sun come up with the 360 degree view.

It's going to depend on the cruise line, CD and Captain honestly. As an American I wasn't even sure what you were speaking of.

As for Veterans Day and Remembrance Sunday. In the U.S. Venterans say is to thank those who served and do serve. Memorial Day, which is in May, is to remember those who died. I was actually at the American cemetery, very special day that was.