Computer Workshop

Occy

Have been on several cruises that have a Computer Workshop. The last one on NA several months ago, concentrated on photo storage etc. Unfortunately they were fully booked. Have an upcoming cruise with lots of sea days and we wld like to join this class. When and where do you book a spot ?

TIA.

The best bet is to get in line early. If the class is full contact the instructor after the class and find out if that class will be given again. On the cruises we've been on, the introductory and a couple of the most popular classes were offered a second or third time.

Curious : are there any onboard classes for apple products?

No, but you could talk to the instructor....he/she might be able to offer other possibilities.

As far as photo managing, my opinion of Apple is rather low...they keep moving the goal posts and insist that their way of doing things is the only way.

There is no way you can sign up for the classes before your cruise.

Also no way to sign up for the classes once you are on the ship.

We have seen people standing in line 1/2 hour or more.

The classes are repeated throughout the cruise so you may want to plan ahead. Maybe at the end of a class that you are interested in and couldn't get in, you could talk to the teckie and ask when that class will be repeated.

Curious : are there any onboard classes for apple products?

As they are sponsored by Microsoft, no.

The instructors really need to flush the classes. Get everyone out and start over. The same people show up , sit through all the classes and play games on the computers. Lots to be learned but way to many people hog the puters. Then there are the people that insist upon asking Mac questions in a Windows class. Good instructors can help you, some can't.

Can you imagine spending your cruise day waiting in line for the next class ? Again and again and again,,,,

As they are sponsored by Microsoft, no.

The instructors really need to flush the classes. Get everyone out and start over. The same people show up , sit through all the classes and play games on the computers. Lots to be learned but way to many people hog the puters. Then there are the people that insist upon asking Mac questions in a Windows class. Good instructors can help you, some can't.

Can you imagine spending your cruise day waiting in line for the next class ? Again and again and again,,,,

I haven't been to a lot of the classes, but I've never seen people playing games during the classes. A good instructor should walk around to see if people have any problems. While doing that, the instructor should notice someone who isn't keeping up because they're doing something else.

There is a list of the classes that are held (see the link on this page)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=Activities_DigitalWorkshop&showHeader=true&showFooter=true

There is also a link to download the handouts that are given at each class on the same page.

As some classes are more popular than others, DW and I would take turns to queue in advance to make sure we got a 'machine' and then we would share it.

There is a list of the classes that are held (see the link on this page)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=Activities_DigitalWorkshop&showHeader=true&showFooter=true

There is also a link to download the handouts that are given at each class on the same page.

As some classes are more popular than others, DW and I would take turns to queue in advance to make sure we got a 'machine' and then we would share it.

I appreciate your post with the link for the downloads of the information for the classes. I did not realize this was possible.

I have attended a few of these Workshops, but find that the Instructor goes too fast for using computer skills with which I am not familiar. I end up not being able to keep up with the rest of the class, get frustrated, and don't attempt to return for another session of the same Class or even a Class on a different topic.

I end up not being able to keep up with the rest of the class, get frustrated, and don't attempt to return for another session of the same Class or even a Class on a different topic.

This does not reflect your abilities, it reflects on the instructor. (poorly)

Better yet, you can watch instructional videos on YouTube at home. This allows you to pause and repeat as much as you might require, and you can select from different tutorials on a given subject. Just search with appropriate keywords like "Windows 10", "beginner" and "tutorial". Be sure to set the YouTube video to high-definition and full screen display so you can see what is going on.

It will be a lot easier to follow a class on a cruise after you have mastered a few tutorials at home.

igraf

I appreciate your post with the link for the downloads of the information for the classes. I did not realize this was possible.

I have attended a few of these Workshops, but find that the Instructor goes too fast for using computer skills with which I am not familiar. I end up not being able to keep up with the rest of the class, get frustrated, and don't attempt to return for another session of the same Class or even a Class on a different topic.

I have been to several of the computer classes and have enjoyed them but you do have to get there early. Sometimes, unfortunately, the class before you will not leave the room and then there are no places left.

Yes, I have seen people playing games on the computers. When the instructor comes around they quickly change the channel. LOL

If I don't understand the class I just keep going back until eventually I am getting it and then I can come home and play around and have more time. I have learned so many things and I look forward to more classes next year. If I can eventually figure it out any one can!!:D Don't give up!!!

Happy Sailing.

Classes are very good. Best instructors are those who have the attenders leave after class and get in line outside behind those who are waiting. This way more people get a chance at the seats. If your teacher does not do this, suggest it. We had an instructor who let people stay from 1st class on, but after suggestion was made to start fresh with each group more people were able to attend.

I have a Surface so even if all seats and computers are full, I can still get in and take part in class. Great to practice on one's own device!