Thirteenth Deck?

CarolinaGirl2010

They obviously do have a 13th deck. However, it is labeled as deck 14 because some people who lack a modicum of intelligence are superstitious.

DON

:loudcry::eek: A bit 'overboard ' ? ?

Are ALL fears rational?

They obviously do have a 13th deck. However, it is labeled as deck 14 because some people who lack a modicum of intelligence are superstitious.

DON

That is rather insulting!!! Everyone is superstitious to some degree. For instance, if you believe in religion, you are also being "superstitious" since much of religion is based on faith and belief on things that can't be proven.

So, keep your insults to yourself and try to show some respect towards people who have different cultural beliefs than your narrow minded "mine is better than yours" value system.

No 13th deck on Princess either.

I was on the Royal a few yrs back. I didn't do this because I thought security wouldn't find it funny and I didn't want to ruin my cruise because of a prank. We were sailing on Friday the 13th and I was going to put a 13 sticker on the elevator button that had 14 on it. I did get into the elevator a few times and asked for deck 13. The looks I got LOL.

That is insulting. I am not superstitious.

Have you ever felt lucky? Or unlucky? Or thought "Why me?" when something bad happened to you? Or have a series of favorite numbers you use when playing the lottery, or have a "lucky" color, song, etc.? Have you ever prayed?

Then you are superstitious "to a degree". Superstitions is not always about fearing things. It is also trusting in chance or something intangible for a positive outcome.

Edited by PTMary

Have you ever felt lucky? Or unlucky? Or thought "Why me?" when something bad happened to you? Or have a series of favorite numbers you use when playing the lottery, or have a "lucky" color, song, etc.? Have you ever prayed?

Then you are superstitious "to a degree". Superstitions is not always about fearing things. It is also trusting in chance or something intangible for a positive outcome.

No. No. No. Never bought a lottery ticket. No. I am not superstitious. No horoscopes. I don't toss spilled salt over my shoulder. I would be happy to break mirrors for you. I open umbrellas indoors for drying. I don't knock on wood. I have favorite numbers, zero and pi, but I do not consider them lucky or unlucky. No lucky shirt, no lucky charms.

No lucky shirt, no lucky charms.

Then what do you eat for breakfast?

There's a now fairly old joke from comedian Mitch Hedberg where he discusses his hotel without a 13th floor;

-My hotel doesn't have a 13th Floor because of superstition, but c'mon man... People on the 14th floor, you know what floor you're really on.

"What room are you in?"

"1401".

"No, you're not. Jump out of window, you'll die earlier!"

On HAL ships, and probably others, a coin was placed under the mast when it was being "stepped" - originally installed. You can see it on HAL ships on the top-most forward deck, where there is a small window under the mast.

This tradition goes back to the Athenian triremes and Roman galleys when coins were placed under the masts to provide any seamen lost with the ship with the fare necessary to pay the boatman to carry them across the River Styx to the underworld.

I wonder if that one Guilder would cover passage for all passengers should one of the DAM ships go down.

On HAL ships, and probably others, a coin was placed under the mast when it was being "stepped" - originally installed. You can see it on HAL ships on the top-most forward deck, where there is a small window under the mast.

This tradition goes back to the Athenian triremes and Roman galleys when coins were placed under the masts to provide any seamen lost with the ship with the fare necessary to pay the boatman to carry them across the River Styx to the underworld.

I wonder if that one Guilder would cover passage for all passengers should one of the DAM ships go down.

It's interesting searching for the coins on a cruise ship...on one, P&O's Ventura (a Grand Class ship) none of the staff appeared to know where they are situated. Eventually two security officers came to take my friend, because the coins are embedded in the wall above the private sunbathing area. We have a photo of the coins; a special gold UK one, and a large euro for the Italian dock where she was built.

I've been in a lift with a joker who asked for deck 13...the button pusher was still trying to work it out when the joker had already alighted (P&O)

I am going to request deck 13 next time I cruise and see what kind of response I get!

A lot of office buildings don't have 13th floor.

We moved to a new home about 3 years ago. RE agent was given strict instructions about no houses with "4" in the address. No one in our family lives at an address containing that number. Cultural thing.

Have not noticed for other cruise lines, but Celebrity also has no cabins ending in the numbers 13. So for example the cabins go 8109, 8111, 8115

Never noticed this on Celebrity before. Interesting. However, their new under construction 3,000 passenger ship named Edge will have cabins ending with 13. But it doesn't have a deck 13.

Their still to be built 100 passenger Galapagos expedition ship named Flora will also have staterooms ending with 13. Deck 8 is the highest deck.