Smoking on balconies.

FredGold

I thought the issue with e-cigs is not the smell, but the fact of possible gases that are released? They are sold as a "safe" alternative, but that is not necessarily the case. Not trying to debate either way......just pointing out that the rule may be based upon something other that the smell. Lots of anxiety about second hand smoke; no one wants to get cancer, especially for a habit that they didn't do!

Sorry but I still think you made it worse than needed by even interacting at all

It's actually a simple process...

As you can't condone or allow balcony smoking to continue once you know about it...no pax can btw or they too become a culprit..thus my suggestion to fine them as well..

All you ever needed to do is report it to

HD period

Some here suggest it's a security issue

Some..like myself said report to guest services

Some say report to steward but I think he is in a difficult position here due to possibility of losing a cash tip

I think if I smell smoke from my balcony on my cruise I will just say to them "oh I did nt realize smoking was still allowed on balconies?"

That's if I even have to interact at all and it can't be avoided

I have found that smoking culprits actually all know when they are breaking the rules and usually stop once caught however using my approach makes it difficult for them to tell if you are on their side or not so they usually react ok ....then they realize they look like idiots and stop smoking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like I said these folks would have made our trip miserable. I think

Your approach would have ruined our trip. As is was we were able to have a good trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The more I think about your comments, the more it reminds me of the worst show ever on tv, a whiny-a.. grown man who got arrested on the last episode for not following the Good Samaritan law.

We may disagree on smoking.

We may agree that the idea of a fine for passengers for not reporting a balcony smoker is absurd.

....but if you take a shot at "Seinfeld" and their criminal indifference?....NO SOUP FOR YOU!!! :')

We may disagree on smoking.

We may agree that the idea of a fine for passengers for not reporting a balcony smoker is absurd.

....but if you take a shot at "Seinfeld" and their criminal indifference?....NO SOUP FOR YOU!!! :')

I guess I will be passing on the soup and having a salad instead because I absolutely hated that show.

I really, really, really can’t take whiny men.

I just can’t.

:loudcry:

I thought the issue with e-cigs is not the smell, but the fact of possible gases that are released? They are sold as a "safe" alternative, but that is not necessarily the case. Not trying to debate either way......just pointing out that the rule may be based upon something other that the smell. Lots of anxiety about second hand smoke; no one wants to get cancer, especially for a habit that they didn't do!

I don't think the cruise lines have smoking policies because of any concern about people's health. I believe the smoking policies are to moderate the behavior of individuals that can irritate other individuals. People report smoking because it irritates them and the security team has to go and investigate the report (for smoking on balconies, at least). That is expensive to NCL in terms of staff resources, and it is also an irritant to the people who were reported.

If NCL made an exception for e-cigs then, because so many of them look like cigarettes from afar, reports of smoking would be investigated that were not actual smokers. That could happen innocently enough; you smell smoke, lean over the rail and see someone on a deck below you three cabins aft who is puffing away. You report them, but they are vaping, not smoking. This would happen frequently during a cruise so NCL and other lines that restrict smoking on balconies also restrict vaping.

You can research the differences between burning tobacco and vaping a liquid that contains nicotine by starting with sources outside of the US, where we have a social policy we want to be true rather than letting the science guide us. I sum it up as "if you don't smoke or vape, don't start. If you smoke, switch to vaping, because we love you and want to see you reduce your health risks by 95%. If you tried to quit before, switch to vaping for six months and try again, because vapers who want to quit have a much easier time being successful."

Vaping, for many people, are nicotine patches that actually work to get them to quit.

I have no problem reporting a smoker or vaper. At work I sometimes have to go outside through clouds of cigarette smoke or vapor. Neither are pleasant and neither are safe IMHO. The flavored vapes smell. It reminds you that you are breathing in more than just CO2. Can anyone say for a fact that the byproducts of vaping are perfectly harmless?

Smoking is still allowed on Balconies of many ships when in Asia and other places outside the United States Cruise Routes. Here is a link to information on this site note sure if up to date but a good starting point.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=225

With all due respect..... a third party article is one of the last places I would go to for a specific policy enforcement..... in this case, here is NCL's policy concerning smoking (where it doesn't differentiate from Asia to US and in fact bolds "all sailings")

https://www.ncl.com/faq#smoking

It's also the fact e-cigs explode from a malfunction without warning...... this can lead to horrendous and catastrophic injuries / fire..... if Note 7s are banned for safety then these should be as well

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/what-s-causing-some-e-cigarette-batteries-explode-n533516

i know it is no longer allowed. Do people still do it. What happens if caught? Do they give a warning, or straight to a fine.

Not sure what will happen. But if TV has taught us anything, if you start a fire, they will know it was you. ;p

I find vaping just as intrusive.

My first intro to vaping was me sitting at a table in a fast casual restaurant and a guy standing 2 feet away waiting for his take-out order exhales in the direction of my table. Immediately I am in a fog cloud, me and my food. I do not want anyone's second-hand vapors.

Secondly, twice I have been behind people vaping at a Texas Rangers ballgame. It truly was hard to see the play on the field. Long story short, vaping is not allowed just like cigarettes. They have a text to complain number in the program. When Security came they argued with them like crazy. But they were told if they got caught again they would be ejected.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is funny. Ahhhh,,,, no.

Follow the science instead of the hysteria:

• The Guardian reports a 33% increase in successful quitting when ecigarettes are used for smoking cessation
  • Science Daily reports that UC San Diego School of Medicine and Moore's Cancer Center researchers found that successful smoking cessation increased for the first time in 15 years with an additional 350,000 quitting smoking due to ecigarettes.
  • LA Times reports on a UK study that showed "those who turned to e-cigarettes [to quit smoking] were about 60% more likely to succeed than those who used nicotine replacement therapy or went cold turkey"

I find vaping just as intrusive.

It definitely can be, especially for the vapers who like to create large clouds of vapor with their "box mods" that vaporize so much more of the "juice", especially if they use strongly scented vapor.

Or, they can be like my sister in law who sneaks vape all the time without any one noticing. Not even the anti-smoking ****s in the family.

I have no problem reporting a smoker or vaper. At work I sometimes have to go outside through clouds of cigarette smoke or vapor. Neither are pleasant and neither are safe IMHO. The flavored vapes smell. It reminds you that you are breathing in more than just CO2. Can anyone say for a fact that the byproducts of vaping are perfectly harmless?

Perfectly harmless? Nope. We do know there are 40 or so carcinogens that are NOT in the vapor that exist in cigarette smoke, and thousands of other chemicals not in vapor. Many of the "reports" of chemicals in vapor are exaggerated to meet a social aim and not based on science. There is some evidence that some types of the heating elements can give off lead in the vapor, especially on disposable e-cigs as the heating elements are always new. People make a big deal out of propylene glycol in vapor but it's in beer also. The key is the amount of exposure you have to the chemicals because our ability to detect them in ever smaller concentrations exceeds our understanding of the impact.

We have a "labling law" in California called Prop. 65 that mandates that any detectable amount of a cancer causing chemical has to be revealed, so every coffee shop has to have a sign that says their products have "chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer." That's in coffee, wine, and gasoline. So the little signs are everywhere. It's a hysterical reaction to cancer causing agents because now you can't tell if something WILL cause cancer because coffee has the warning, wine has the warning, and so does gasoline.

Health monitors should put it this way:

If you don't drink now, don't start.

If you don't smoke e-cigs, don't start.

If you don't smoke now, don't start smoking cigarettes or vaping.

If you drink now, cut back to more healthy levels. (If the UBP gratuities pay for themselves, you drink too much).

If you vape now, remember it is much easier to quit vaping nicotine than it is to quit smoking it. Try to quit again.

If you smoke cigarettes, switch to vaping. It is at least 95% safer.

Follow the science instead of the hysteria:

• The Guardian reports a 33% increase in successful quitting when ecigarettes are used for smoking cessation
  • Science Daily reports that UC San Diego School of Medicine and Moore's Cancer Center researchers found that successful smoking cessation increased for the first time in 15 years with an additional 350,000 quitting smoking due to ecigarettes.
  • LA Times reports on a UK study that showed "those who turned to e-cigarettes [to quit smoking] were about 60% more likely to succeed than those who used nicotine replacement therapy or went cold turkey"

All #fakenews. You can find just about anyone who will write a report that says just about anything to get published. And people are gullible enough to start quoting it as fact. Have you ever turned on the TV late at night and seen all of the new drugs and devices that will make you fit. I bet you even own a Thigh Master.

All #fakenews. You can find just about anyone who will write a report that says just about anything to get published. And people are gullible enough to start quoting it as fact. Have you ever turned on the TV late at night and seen all of the new drugs and devices that will make you fit. I bet you even own a Thigh Master.

Really? Peer reviewed articles in medical journals are "fake news" now?

My idea is to remove dsc because you didn't get the service you were promised and that is...

If you report a balcony smoker and it's not immediately taken care of or if it recurs...then by all means get ncl attention brought to this fire hazard by removing dsc

That's the only way to hurt ncl. Other than not sailing on their ships. But removing dsc really is an immediate...right to the top of the ncl food chain way of getting their attention

After reading all your numerous posts, I really do get the feeling that this is your way of saving a few bucks by removing the DSC. The "immediately taken care of" enforces that belief.

You would be hurting the people that have NOTHING to do with the problem. Guest services and Security are responsible for any enforcement. They are not part of the DSC disbursement. You are not hurting NCL as you avow. You are hurting individual people. NCL could care less. They just disburse less DSC money to the folks that get it. Your "solution" is nothing but tilting at windmills.

100% FALSE!

Saying that SMOKING electronic cigs is safer than tobacco cigs is like saying a hand grenade blowing up next to you is safer than an atomic bomb doing so. MOST ecigs have liquid nicotine in them which is one of the most dangerous chemicals know to mankind. In fact when it is handled the EPA requires a full hazmat suit. Additionally by SMOKING an ecig one inhales vapor which can get MUCH deeper into the lungs than the semisolids in normal tobacco smoke. It is not even close to safer. It is MUCH more dangerous. People should be free to smoke whatever they want. I could not care less if someone else wants to commit suicide on the time delay plan, II do however have an issue with them taking me with them.

Read this.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/heart-and-lungs/long-term-vaping-far-safer-than-smoking-says-landmark-study/

After reading all your numerous posts, I really do get the feeling that this is your way of saving a few bucks by removing the DSC. The "immediately taken care of" enforces that belief.

You would be hurting the people that have NOTHING to do with the problem. Guest services and Security are responsible for any enforcement. They are not part of the DSC disbursement. You are not hurting NCL as you avow. You are hurting individual people. NCL could care less. They just disburse less DSC money to the folks that get it. Your "solution" is nothing but tilting at windmills.

Serious question. What would you suggest a pax do if they report smoke and NCL does nothing?