Norwegian Cruise Line Offers Full Refund for "Construction Zone" Cruise

LauraS

Probably not, it I saw what thought was a positive thing, maybe I didn’t know enough about the situation, I just came on the cruise critic board to research info about my crusise next year., as I had a devasting day because of the death of my brother and I was trying to escape reality of the day. Lesson learned, will not state my thoughts again

Please state your thoughts no one has the right to stop people from posting opinions. I know myself sometime my posting are good and other times they miss the mark.

Please do not allow yourself to be bullied by anyone.

It goes without saying that anyone with a heart and soul here is sorry for your loss. At times of loss everything seems to be upside down but it will get better.

Probably not, it I saw what thought was a positive thing, maybe I didn’t know enough about the situation, I just came on the cruise critic board to research info about my crusise next year., as I had a devasting day because of the death of my brother and I was trying to escape reality of the day. Lesson learned, will not state my thoughts again

I hope you enjoy your time on the Jade. We sailed on her with our friends and had a wonderful time. We all need to have someone who shares something positive especially when we are facing something that makes us feel unhappy. Sharing positive thoughts is a plus and I hope you will continue to ask questions and share your thoughts. I was really angry awhile back when NCL canceled our cruise but I had another NCL cruise already booked and I refused to cancel a wonderful trip planned with my DD and DGD. I di go away and book with MSC and boy am I happy I did. Then my DD asked if I would please reconsider and book with NCL again as she wanted to visit pre-cruise in New Orleans. I took my sour feelings for corporate NCL and packed them in a bag and threw them overboard and granted my DD's request. Do not allow others to take away your visits to NCL threads. I am sorry for this sad time in your life with the loss of your brother.

I've been reading the "Panama canal sun" FB page that was created. Many of them just want a refund and to never want to sail NCL again and I don't blame them one bit.

lol.. and ncl would give these people a full refund because...???

makes no business sense to do so

What will prevent this from ever happening again? I do not want my children or grandchildren ever being in a similar situation. It was blatant negligence. Most of you here don’t seem to get this, yet!

Or ANYONE else! I was scared on ship, and still even more terrified there is no outcry to push for safety on ships.
Who is not pushing for safety on ships. I think everyone has said that this shouldn't have happened. You are correct about the outcry, as it seems like some that were on the ship are more interested in $$$'s, then seeing what can be done about never having this happen again.

I hope you will be able to find a vacation for you, your children and grandchildren were you feel confident that you and them will never endure what you did on this cruise.

BTW, since you haven't had too many posts, didn't know if you knew you can edit your post, instead of starting a new one, by going to your post and hit edit, make your additional comment and then hit save.

Can I do that on my oringinal post “Things not going well on Sun” ? It was locked, and many refer to it.
No, you can only do it for a number of minutes after you post. If a post is locked, you can only read it, no posting, no editing, etc.

Guess you missed my post where I mention some cruisers commenting that they enjoyed their cruise and I said you can imagine the names they were called.

I did pick up on that. I was really thinking more about the media not bothering to try and talk to some that may have had a good or decent time. As I had mentioned yesterday I think, our Travel Agent has spoken with clients that were on the Sun and said, yes, there were problems but they are being over the top. I guess is it back to how people react and what makes the news.

Prayers to you and your family.

Sadly, there are a whole lot of people that this 100% fare credit is a big fat 0%. They either can't afford to pay the thousands that the 'free cruise' will cost them, or have other reasons that they can't take another cruise. This was a once in a lifetime trip for many.

A refund is warranted. NCL did not give the cruise they advertised, and they put passenger health and safety at risk in a big way.

Perhaps then the credit offer will bring some customers back.

Most of us want to see change and hope that this doesn't happen to others on future cruises too.

Question -- the people who say "it was fine" - will they turn down the credit??

Question -- the people who say "it was fine" - will they turn down the credit??

I would accept the 100% of the fare paid in a certificate for a future cruise. What I wouldn't ask for is my DSC and gratuities on the UBP to be refunded nor would I has for any other expenses.

Reason, I would have eaten on the cruise and had my cabin cleaned. I would have had drinks under the UBP. I would have gone to shows, etc., as bad as it was reported, people still enjoyed some of the cruise.

Sorry, but I have a question that I can't seem wrap my head around. I have read words describing the cruise as hazardous to one's health, cruise being criminal, lifeboats being unuseable and being held captive and am wondering if anyone left the ship or did everyone just stay on the ship. Maybe there weren't ports to get off and leave from, because I know darn well if I thought my health was in that much danger, I would have gotten off the ship and flew home.

Edited by NLH Arizona

It may have been late, but it is never too late to do the right thing!!! Koodoos to NCL for coming good to their passengers!

Having read the posts of those on this sailing in which it would seem some were put at risk due to refurbishment work taking place during a sailing, I fail to see how NCL deserves "Kudos". In offering a future cruise credit, they know many might take the credit and not sail with NCL again. NCL wins here!

This in no way is a "full refund". Full refund is your money is returned to you.

I do not see how NCL in anyway supported the good of their passengers. It would seem they tried to "cheap out" sailing in the midst of work best completed in dry dock. Putting passengers at risk is unacceptable and they should take responsibility for their actions. No, a future cruise credit is not taking this responsibility seriously.

I stopped sailing NCL in 2017 due to the never ending CEO moves to make more money out of passengers.

We used to love NCL but so much has changed since new leadership moved in.

I would accept the 100% of the fare paid in a certificate for a future cruise. What I wouldn't ask for is my DSC and gratuities on the UBP to be refunded nor would I has for any other expenses.

Reason, I would have eaten on the cruise and had my cabin cleaned. I would have had drinks under the UBP. I would have gone to shows, etc., as bad as it was reported, people still enjoyed some of the cruise.

Sorry, but I have a question that I can't seem wrap my head around. I have read words describing the cruise as hazardous to one's health, cruise being criminal, lifeboats being unuseable and being held captive and am wondering if anyone left the ship or did everyone just stay on the ship. Maybe there weren't ports to get off and leave from, because I know darn well if I thought my health was in that much danger, I would have gotten off the ship and flew home.

Fair question.

Some may have thought it would get better - surely this couldn't last the whole cruise? There was no communication as to what areas were open or closed and when.

A lot of details came out later when information was shared - the full extent of the risks may not have been known.

For many, they would't even know this was an option.

We were in South and Central American, and Mexican ports. Many would not have known where to even begin.

No everyone has the resources readily available to just jump ship, get themselves to the airport, and fly home.

Many just tried to make the best of it.

I am sure the reasons are as varied as people on the ship.

Near the end of the cruise, a crew member told us that he'd have gotten off the ship if he could have afforded to fly home. I felt for the crew as well.

those same people will then be saying "they should get the refund AND a free cruise". Just goes to show that you cannot please some folks.

While on a Princess cruise to Hawaii a couple years ago, half of the engines caught on fire and they couldn't get them to work. We still had 2/3 of the cruise left and had to miss 3 of the 5 ports so that we could literally crawl back to San Francisco. Not nearly as bad as this NCL cruise.

BUT.....we had a wonderful 15 day cruise and still got this great compensation: a full cash refund for our cruise fare, a 50% future cruise credit and $200 OBC for the current cruise! OR....if you didn't want to continue on the cruise after Honolulu, you got the cash refund, a 25% cruise credit and free airfare back to SF. Now that's how to treat customers!! :hearteyes:

I did pick up on that. I was really thinking more about the media not bothering to try and talk to some that may have had a good or decent time. As I had mentioned yesterday I think, our Travel Agent has spoken with clients that were on the Sun and said, yes, there were problems but they are being over the top. I guess is it back to how people react and what makes the news.

Why is your travel agent more credible than paying guests? Your travel agent has a vested interest in the cruise industry being shown in the best possible light and thus may be biased or filtering information. I am not saying your TA is NOT credible, I am only saying that you should not choose to believe a third party source over a first hand source only because you agree more with their opinion on an event. I would not have liked to be on this cruise and I doubt you would have liked to be either.

A few questions for those people on who took the cruise and have the offer from NCL in hand. Please I would like only first hand information from guest (s), or if a official company representative wants to post that too is OK.

1) The 100% future cruise credit you have been offered is it for the base cruise fare or cruise plus port, services fees?

2) Is the credit just for members of your group or can you transfer, trade sell to other people?

3) Will you take another cruise on NCL ?

I wait for a reply. Thank you

No. 1. It is a credit of base fare only. I spent close to $10,000 for my once in a lifetime trip. I am not a regular cruiser. Credit would be in the $2500 range.

No. 2. No answer from NCL on this one. I don’t want to go on another cruise. I’d transfer credit if I could.

No. 3. Never!

I was on the cruise.

1) The 100% future cruise credit you have been offered is it for the base cruise fare or cruise plus port, services fees?

It is the cruise fare only.

This is the entire text:

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the travel experience, safety and satisfaction of our guests is of the utmost importance to us. Recently Norwegian Sun underwent enhancements as part of our continuous efforts to ensure that every ship across the fleet delivers a consistently high-quality passenger experience.

While we do our utmost to minimize any impact to our guests when these enhancements are being implemented, we do recognize that during a recent sailing, we did not meet the expectations of our guests, nor our own standards,for which we truly apologize.

Norwegian Cruise Line is inviting the guests on the March 16th Norwegian Sunvoyage to cruise again and fully experience all that Norwegian has to offerwith a 100% future cruise credit of their cruise fare paid, which can beapplied towards another cruise of their choice from now through March 31, 2023.

We realize that this gesture cannot replace their recent experience but do hopeto have the opportunity to welcome them on board again soon.

2) Is the credit just for members of your group or can you transfer, trade sell to other people?

I imagine it is non-transferable etc., but it wasn't expressly mentioned in anything I have seen. Not sure if it is just for the individual, or can be used for people in your group or not. It is supposed to appear on our Latitudes ID number as listed on the reservation confirmation. Hopefully someone else will have a definitive answer.

The fine print on the first letter (the 25% one) indicted it had no cash value and could not go towards the gov't taxes and fees, airfare, insurance, hotel packages, or any add-ons. It is not combinable (is that even a word?) with cruise credits or fare reduction coupons.

3) Will you take another cruise on NCL ?

If they offer a refund along with the future credit, I might consider giving them another try at some point.

Why is your travel agent more credible than paying guests? Your travel agent has a vested interest in the cruise industry being shown in the best possible light and thus may be biased or filtering information. I am not saying your TA is NOT credible, I am only saying that you should not choose to believe a third party source over a first hand source only because you agree more with their opinion on an event. I would not have liked to be on this cruise and I doubt you would have liked to be either.

did I ever say those complaining are not or were not credible? of course I didn't. To them this was a disaster cruise, and it certainly seems like it was pretty bad, but my point and I would think others, especially those not on the ship could see more than one side. What she said was, her clients said it wasn't as bad as being made out to be. I am simple repeating the other side. I am not saying anyone is right or wrong. You are right about one thing, I would not have wanted to be on the cruise. That doesn't mean I would not have found a way to enjoy some parts of it. and I do not think any reliable TA would side with the cruise or travel industry over his clients. Why would he, if anything he would do the opposite?

Edited by newmexicoNita

I'll go ahead and say it if you won't: if the TA actually exists, and the TA acually said this, the TA is somewhat less credible than Baghdad Bob.

We have first-hand accounts in this and in other threads.

Reviews are filtering in on the Cruise Critic Sun page (I think these reviews are vetted by Cruise Critic Staff before they are posted) and it is not a pretty picture.

Why anyone would claim there's "another side to the story" is utterly beyond me.

The "other side" stops at "well, at least it didn't sink like ships have in the past, so Hooray for NCL".

Why anyone would claim there's "another side to the story" is utterly beyond me.

The "other side" stops at "well, at least it didn't sink like ships have in the past, so Hooray for NCL".

It is like saying "Well at least in solitary confinement I got a good nights' sleep, was well fed and they did all the cooking"