Formal Night Alternatives

Solitarycruiser

We’re sailing Silversea for the first time on the Muse this summer. How do you know in advance which nights are formal/informal/casual?

Also, do men need to wear a jacket to Hot Rocks?

No, no jacket required, Hot rocks is always casual. In the "My Silversea" section on their web site the page that shows your reservations etc. said what nights were what however it was not 100% correct. On the first night aboard the ships paper also listed them for the entire trip.

We’re sailing Silversea for the first time on the Muse this summer. How do you know in advance which nights are formal/informal/casual?
The first and last nights are always casual.

Typically, the 2nd night is a formal night.

There is a caveat to the first formal night. If the ship overnights, or remains in port until later in the night, then the formal night will often be scheduled for the first night when the ship is sailing at sea after 6:00pm. For example, on our Muse voyage this June, we will be in port on our second night until 10:00p. As such, SS has scheduled our first formal night for the third night.

Also, do men need to wear a jacket to Hot Rocks?
Agree with Hypercafe, men never need to wear a jacket to Hot Rocks as it is always "optional" casual.

When does My Silversea show the dress code? Unless I'm missing something, the code is not yet shown for my 7/24 cruise on the Spirit. It certainly would have been helpful to have this information before I made our dining reservations.

Just as a note, for the most part, the difference between Formal and Informal is a tie for men. We booked La Terrassa on the first formal night, and The Grill for the second night - my hubby still needed a jacket for La Terrassa, but they kindly said "sir, your jacket" at the Grill, with a big smile - meaning "take that thing off".

Only issue is that on a Formal night, men will still need a tie & jacket to get into The Bar, and jacket to get into the Panorama lounge. So, the night we had Grill reservations, we strolled around and attempted to enter the Panorama - hubby looking dapper in his dress pants and collared shirt. Poor door man said "sorry sir, you'll need a jacket to enter, it is formal night" - to be fair, it was posted in the daily newsletter, we just didn't pay attention. No big deal, we'd just hit the other bar .... wrong answer, they said "Sorry sir, you will need a jacket and tie, it is formal night". Ok, our room was on the 4th floor, we're currently on the 5th .... an hour before our reservation. We laughingly went downstairs, grabbed his dark suit jacket and a tie (um, since he rarely wears a tie, it's a zipper tie!) - walking down the hall, he's putting his jacket on. We get to the door of the Bar, and the young lady says "Oh, sorry sir, you need a tie - it's ....", at that point, HoneyBunny whips out the zipper tie from his pocket! She tried not to laugh and said "Welcome sir, you are looking dashing tonight", the three young gentlemen behind the bar were hysterical. Needless to say, each time we entered the BAR, someone asked "Sir, do you have your tie" with a big smile.

We had such a nice time with the staff, super great people with an excellent sense of humor. We heard from other staff member that the servers at the bars/lounges really dislike having to enforce the dress code policy on formal night, so we provided some levity to their day. When we arrived for our reservation at the Grill, our server offered to take his jacket, and put his hand out for the tie. When HoneyBunny unzipped his tie, several servers were laughing. Needless to say, it was an excellent evening.

Jan

What is a zipper tie?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Neckwear for lazy men:

"What is a Zipper tie ? A zipper tie is essentially a regular tie with a permanent knot and a zipper mechanism inside it, which allows you to adjust the width of the neck accordingly.

Adjusting the zipper tie is an easy process; To start with, take hold of the small end of the tie and the knot. Once you have done so, you can slide the zipper up by holding the small end firmly and sliding the knot up.

With the simple locking mechanism of the zipper tie, adjusting the tie to fit your neck comfortably is easy. With the tie in place, the zipper will remain in that fixed position with an easily controllable yet firm grip."

Possibly analogous to elastic pants for lazy women - stretch waistbands, just pull 'em on.

Only a few more days Spins, I hope you're winning your struggle to get packed and ready. Once you're on board, those first two sea days cruising in the bracing Atlantic air should sort you out!

Thanks Jolly.

What a concept. A zipper tie.

My father, a custom clothier known for his sartorial splendor would have had a cow.

But each to his or her own.

And looking forward to bracing as long as its not on a plane.

Edited by spinnaker2

Our sailing is Aug 24-31 (Spirit). When we checked my.silversea last night under the "view now" and then "dining" icon there is now Formal under the Aug 25 date. That was recently added as we go in periodically to review.

Safe Travels

Neilio

Our sailing is Aug 24-31 (Spirit). When we checked my.silversea last night under the "view now" and then "dining" icon there is now Formal under the Aug 25 date. That was recently added as we go in periodically to review.
Yes, very typical as most voyages have their first formal night on the 2nd night of the trip. Enjoy!

Safe Travels

Neilio

Where is "view now" on My Silversea? We'll be on the Spirit 1 month before you (7/24). I'm on My Silversea in another tab, and I don't see anything that says "view now". Nothing on the 10 nights of my cruise shows a dress code when I click on the dining tab.

[attach]419714[/attach]

[attach]419715[/attach]

Thank you. The information probably was there all along, and I didn't notice it. Putting the information in tiny letters under the date isn't a place where I would have looked,

We have reservations for our two formal nights at La Dane (where I probably would have worn a tie and jacket and Joan a caftan anyway) and La Terrazza. What is the dress code for La Terrazza when it isn't formal night? Joe

Thank you. The information probably was there all along, and I didn't notice it. Putting the information in tiny letters under the date isn't a place where I would have looked,

We have reservations for our two formal nights at La Dane (where I probably would have worn a tie and jacket and Joan a caftan anyway) and La Terrazza. What is the dress code for La Terrazza when it isn't formal night? Joe

Have a great trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums