Never saw a single dollar tipped on the MSC Seaside last week.

tallnthensome

The people who are cheap are the ones who don’t turn up for dinner on the last night I have found!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. That is precious Nikki! LOL. I can just imagine these people sneaking around the last day of the cruise trying to avoid eye contact with the staff so they don't have to tip them.

Cheers.

Yes. Door attendants joked a few nights about being careful not to spill, but they were fine with that. Another MSC "Rule/Not Really a Rule" rule!

So you were able to bring a drink into the theatre?

LOL. That is precious Nikki! LOL. I can just imagine these people sneaking around the last day of the cruise trying to avoid eye contact with the staff so they don't have to tip them.

Cheers.

We have had it with our table mates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally get you. At the prices you guys in UK are charged, I totally get you. I was charged 28 pounds for a cheese burger in a simple neighborhood restaurant while visiting London. Comparable item in US: $10 or less( what is that about 6 pounds?). At that price in US, I could afford to leave a couple of extra bucks for the waiter and still come out ahead. I do not have the bill in front of me, but I seem to remember that the cost of the food itself was about 50% of the bill, the rest being taxes on top of taxes, do not recall a "service charge" but do recall asking and being told by the waiter that no additional tip was required, he was paid an adequate wage. I asked because even though I thought the price was high, I did not wish to stiff the wait staff, and even though the food and service were exceptional, I just did not feel to spend more for just a cheese burger.

So yes, totally different culture, totally different circumstances. When they say "When in Rome....." there is a reason for saying so. I don't think we can compare our different stance on tipping. Is just a different way of life. What do you think?

Quite a few employers here now offer a living wage as apposed to the minimum wage so this wouldn't surprise me.

Having said that, of all the times I've eaten in London restaurants, i cannot recall any lasting memory of half decent service. But i'm not a fan of the capital. Way too hectic for my liking.

I think I've always adhered to the tipping practices whilst in the US. I do understand that those working in the service industry there are offered a poor wage to have that wage subsidized by tips. Whilst i don't agree with this practice, from an employment perspective, it does mean that service offered is second to non. The US service is very different to the UK.

So in short, i think i stick to the when in Rome mentality.

Well, I do tip on every cruise and because it may be a "custom" on MSC or discouraged (I don't believe that) doesn't mean I won't or others shouldn't. We weren't in Europe ......... I saw plenty of cash given last year and the year before. The bar staff wasn't "European" most of the time and they deserve tips like other bartenders on other lines. Perhaps the staff will quit and go elsewhere once they realize they aren't getting any extras. You can call it a "custom" , I'll call it being cheap. This was Miami, Jamaica, Mexico, and Caymens ...... not Europe. Perhaps some need to realize American customs here.

It is a difference in culture - it just isn't the done thing in Europe. Talking about and offering money can be really offensive in some places (it is a pride thing - like not needing charity).

I don't think it fair to make sweeping implications that other cultures are cheap. I know it is something I will be prepared for as a difference when we visit Miami later this year but it is not something that will come naturally because it just isn't done here!

To add: I do double-tip for exceptional service, Dodi and Eddie who were our MDR servers were absolutely fantastic - welcoming, accommodating and engaging. They were a real standout from our Western Med cruise on Splendida last year but I don't believe in tipping everyone and well, I have paid my grats after all!

Well, I do tip on every cruise and because it may be a "custom" on MSC or discouraged (I don't believe that) doesn't mean I won't or others shouldn't. We weren't in Europe ......... I saw plenty of cash given last year and the year before. The bar staff wasn't "European" most of the time and they deserve tips like other bartenders on other lines. Perhaps the staff will quit and go elsewhere once they realize they aren't getting any extras. You can call it a "custom" , I'll call it being cheap. This was Miami, Jamaica, Mexico, and Caymens ...... not Europe. Perhaps some need to realize American customs here.

Do you respect other nation's customs when you visit their countries or do you just expect everyone to conform to American customs that you believe in? How do you propose to educate other guests from different nationalities on American customs so they can learn to tip on an Italian ship where the customary suggested rule is not to tip?

It is a difference in culture - it just isn't the done thing in Europe. Talking about and offering money can be really offensive in some places (it is a pride thing - like not needing charity).

I don't think it fair to make sweeping implications that other cultures are cheap. I know it is something I will be prepared for as a difference when we visit Miami later this year but it is not something that will come naturally because it just isn't done here!

To add: I do double-tip for exceptional service, Dodi and Eddie who were our MDR servers were absolutely fantastic - welcoming, accommodating and engaging. They were a real standout from our Western Med cruise on Splendida last year but I don't believe in tipping everyone and well, I have paid my grats after all!

In my experience restaurant wait staff in England are happy to receive a cash tip.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Although it is not custom in Europe to tip there is a big difference in "tipping"

compared to the US. If you are satisfied with the service in Europe you

tip a small amount, let's say 1 or 2 Euro on a 25 Euro taxi fare or

2 Euro on a 48 Euro restaurant check (rounding up to even amount 50 Euro).

Tips are not expected but highly appreciated.

In my experience restaurant wait staff in England are happy to receive a cash tip.

100% found it to be the same here in Ireland but I've had a quite offended waiter in France. He said they had a good wage and was just doing his job! I suppose much like I hate anyone getting my bill, it is probably down to an individual's opinion. I'm sure that there's thousands of French waiters who would have been delighted with a tip but I did get the impression from this waiter that it isn't expected or sought out

Sent from my SM-A520F using Forums mobile app

Yes, happy but its not expected or demanded via a charge added to the bill. When eating out at home sometimes we tip, sometimes we don't. If we do its 10%. If we don't I don't feel like I am stiffing the waiter or being cheap.

I've never been chased down the street by a waiter demanding their tip like you hear about in America!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

We had Sunday lunch in Newcastle last Sunday with 2 friends and the restaurant automatically put 10% service charge of £15.49 on my bill.

Lots of restaurant's when they hand you the card machine you have to press yes or no for gratuity before you enter your pin number.

The last couple of times we have eaten out in our village they have added 10% to the bill.

We have found out this week via a posting on the other site that the tips and service is not going to the waiting staff.

We had Sunday lunch in Newcastle last Sunday with 2 friends and the restaurant automatically put 10% service charge of £15.49 on my bill.

Lots of restaurant's when they hand you the card machine you have to press yes or no for gratuity before you enter your pin number.

Another method to pressurize people into leaving a tip. A dirty underhand tactic in my mind.

The last couple of times we have eaten out in our village they have added 10% to the bill.

We have found out this week via a posting on the other site that the tips and service is not going to the waiting staff.

Exactly the reason as to why all tips should be made in cash. Restaurants who deliberately shaft their employees should be named and shamed.

Another method to pressurize people into leaving a tip. A dirty underhand tactic in my mind.

Exactly the reason as to why all tips should be made in cash. Restaurants who deliberately shaft their employees should be named and shamed.

The same should be said for cruise lines... they should be named and shamed or just remove the fees.

The same should be said for cruise lines... they should be named and shamed or just remove the fees.

What is causing you to be so "anti tipping"??? You know upfront a service charge will be added daily?? Its always been a separate part of the cruise. I have no problem in people not giving extra.... But removing the standard daily service charges....seems very unreasonable and not proper.

Its obvious you have an issue with tipping/service charges...... I suggest you drop the conspiracy theories about ships not properly handling the funds unless you can backup your claims

a point of view from a UK family on the same cruise, we paid our daily service charge for 5 of us and also tipped our MDR waiter and cabin attendants (2 different one's), to me i am totally satisfied with what we did and felt absolutely NO requirement to further tip than this and to attempt to call people for not tipping per drink is ridiculous, no offence intended but my opinion. Maybe you can explain where my circa $500 service charge went (including 2 children) and why you think i should be tipping for every drink on top of this ?

What is causing you to be so "anti tipping"??? You know upfront a service charge will be added daily?? Its always been a separate part of the cruise. I have no problem in people not giving extra.... But removing the standard daily service charges....seems very unreasonable and not proper.

Its obvious you have an issue with tipping/service charges...... I suggest you drop the conspiracy theories about ships not properly handling the funds unless you can backup your claims

My problem it is a Gratuity, and as a Gratuity it is my choice to pay or not pay. As a Gratuity is is always the choice of the guest. If the cruise line does not like this they can put a true mandatory service fee in place. But they will not do this because they want the legal advantages of it being a Gratuity.

If you pay the daily service charge you have no control over how it is divided. From being in business I know when a dollar goes in to the business much less comes out. I want to tip the people I believe have provide extra service to me, so I tip directly to them in cash. One dollar goes in their hand and that is the end of it. Since I have opted out of the daily program and told the line I do not agree anything I pay is between myself and the crew member.

Removing the daily service fee is absolutely reasonable and proper. It is allowed by the cruise lines and the most human thing to do for the crews..... The cruise lines need to pay the crews fairly, not make them work for the guest to directly pay the wages due.

Our next cruise is on NCL and our price includes all service charges, and the drink package and daily bottles of water in our cabin!

Don’t be so sure. Be sure to check your cabin folio throughout the cruise for additional “charges”.

Do you respect other nation's customs when you visit their countries or do you just expect everyone to conform to American customs that you believe in? How do you propose to educate other guests from different nationalities on American customs so they can learn to tip on an Italian ship where the customary suggested rule is not to tip?

Ahh, the scary thing about trying to do the right thing is it may not be the right thing. We have tipped in Europe while traveling knowing full well that tipping is not the "Custom". We always said, thank you for being so kind, or whatever we felt deserved the tipping and requested they accept our small gift. I have to say no one said no.

I don't feel education is necessary because as an American I have to tell you I do not tip if the service I received is not deserving of one even here in the USA. People are people and will do what they individually feel is not right for them.

Having lived and worked overseas for three years I have to tell you it is an individual choice.

Ahh, the scary thing about trying to do the right thing is it may not be the right thing....

What does this mean? Right is right and wrong is wrong. If you want to tip in, say, Japan, where that is not the custom, it's not the "right" thing. Does that mean you shouldn't do it? No, it doesn't, do what you want. I couldn't care less how other people spend their money, but to say that it's the "right" thing to do because no one says no is....not true.

All of us do the "wrong" thing from time to time when it comes to the decisions we make every day. Whether it's speeding, telling white lies or any of the countless other things we as humans do, just because we're doing the "wrong" thing doesn't (necessarily) make us "bad" people.

Don’t be so sure. Be sure to check your cabin folio throughout the cruise for additional “charges”.

If there are any extra service charges shown on our bill we will not pay them as our receipt quite clearly show all services are included in our rate.