Lifts - Ding Dong,

smj777

I have been told this, so I don't know if its true.

"If the lift arrives with a Ding Dong it is going down. The arrow confirms this. If it arrives with a Ding but no Dong then it is going up. This might help some of you with the confusion regularly seen outside of the lifts. All you need to do is sort out your Dings from your Dongs"

All I need now is some way of knowing wether to turn right or left out of the lift!

I have been told this, so I don't know if its true.

"If the lift arrives with a Ding Dong it is going down. The arrow confirms this. If it arrives with a Ding but no Dong then it is going up. This might help some of you with the confusion regularly seen outside of the lifts. All you need to do is sort out your Dings from your Dongs"

All I need now is some way of knowing wether to turn right or left out of the lift!

Did they tell you that on 1st April? ;)

Have to say I have never noticed a different noise. I thought it was the same chime regardless of going up or down, but it could be a new thing on new builds as I guess it would make sense for the visually impaired. We just go by the up or down arrow above each lift. I guess if some people can’t fathom a simple up or down arrow then they definitely won’t cope with two different chimes!

I don't know what it is with people on cruise ships, but it is the only place I encounter people who don't bother to check whether the lift is going in the direction they want before getting in.

And then being unhappy when it is going the wrong way.

Agreed, and the other thing I notice is how perfectly able bodied people lose the ability to use stairs when on a cruise ship, even if to only go up or down one or two floors, which can be irritating when you are waiting for a lift with a wheelchair!

Agreed, and the other thing I notice is how perfectly able bodied people lose the ability to use stairs when on a cruise ship, even if to only go up or down one or two floors, which can be irritating when you are waiting for a lift with a wheelchair!
Ofcourse if on Britannia at midship because there arent any stairs you dont have much choice unless you can walk a long way to the next. Its about time they changed the crew stairway into a passenger one as they have now on Royal Princess!

Maybe they will do it when it us due a refurb.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Ofcourse if on Britannia at midship because there arent any stairs you dont have much choice unless you can walk a long way to the next. Its about time they changed the crew stairway into a passenger one as they have now on Royal Princess!

Maybe they will do it when it us due a refurb.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I am told that they are going to do this with Britannia's first refit, which will be a blessing for all concerned! All that needs to be sorted then is the lack of a promenade deck and the dreaded soot. Sadly, both are less easy to resolve!

Just because people look able to use stairs doesn’t mean they can. I look perfectly fine but have really bad knees so can’t walk up or down stairs and often feel obliged to explain to people that I have dodgy knees when I get funny looks.

So remember please all disabilities aren’t visible

Just because people look able to use stairs doesn’t mean they can. I look perfectly fine but have really bad knees so can’t walk up or down stairs and often feel obliged to explain to people that I have dodgy knees when I get funny looks.

So remember please all disabilities aren’t visible

I'm fully aware of that and that get's thrown back every time this comes up, but I don't accept that 95% of passengers are disabled! Of course, anyone can use a lift whenever they wish, able bodied or otherwise. I merely point out that it does present difficulties for those who have no choice - including of course yourself.

Thanks, yes.

On Oriana recently the number of miserable people in the lifts that stood at the front and tutted if anyone else tried to get in, even though they could have moved back or moved to one side and let others in the back. One particular time they tutted and moaned when I got in, at the next stop they again moaned when some chap got in, so much so that I said ‘well if you move back there will be room for more to get in’. That did shut them up, temporarily I’m sure. It also meant btw that anyone in wheelchairs thought the lift was full so made no attempt to get in even though there was plenty of room for a wheelchair plus companion or two.

In contrast on a recent MSC cruise full of all nationalities everyone was friendly in the lifts and even happy to squash in although we were all speaking different languages.

So not sure if it is just P & O cruisers that are moaners or Brits as a whole.

Thanks, yes.

On Oriana recently the number of miserable people in the lifts that stood at the front and tutted if anyone else tried to get in, even though they could have moved back or moved to one side and let others in the back.

I just stand in the doorway preventing the doors closing until the penny drops for them to realise that they need to step back if they want to go anywhere.

And these are the same people who are stood at the front and make no effort to move to one side to let people behind out when the lift arrives at a floor before the one they want

Stood next to some ladies on Aurora, they were pressing the down button so as I wanted to go down stood and waited. Lift comes in, we get in, and they say oh it’s going down, we wanted to go up. You pressed down said I. Yes they said because it was up and we wanted it to come down to us. I tried to explain but gave up.

Edited by amajaa

Have been on a ship before now in a full lift with about 3 lovely elderly ladies who were most put out as they could not work out how to get the lift to take them to the font of the ship .... in an aft lift. We got out and left some other cruisers trying to explain as we had given up and were trying not to crack up. Priceless

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Recently on Britannia many people would get into a lift no matter which direction it was going in. This resulted in the lifts being much fuller than necessary as lift passengers were in the lifts for much longer that necessary, and preventing others from getting in. Also (the same?) people would press both buttons in the misguided belief that it fetched the lift faster, also repeatedly pressing the buttons, presumably believing that it would hurry the lift.

I'm afraid to say that I lost my cool one day when returning from tour (in my own defence I was absolutely bursting for the loo), when the lift I was in was prevented from moving by a person pressing the call button before the lift had moved. This caused the lift doors to re-open, and delayed the whole process. After the third time I shouted across the lift lobby "to leave the buttons alone until the lift had moved", whether it was the shock, or the message got through, it worked, and the lift moved accompanied by a round of applause by the other users in the lift.

Stood next to some ladies on Aurora, they were pressing the down button so as I wanted to go down stood and waited. Lift comes in, we get in, and they say oh it’s going down, we wanted to go up. You pressed down said I. Yes they said because it was up and we wanted it to come down to us. I tried to explain but gave up.

That made me think, how many passengers have experience of using lifts in their daily lives? Maybe surprisingly few. My experience suggested they were just being selfish lift hogs but maybe they are just thick, or don't care :mad:

That made me think, how many passengers have experience of using lifts in their daily lives? Maybe surprisingly few. My experience suggested they were just being selfish lift hogs but maybe they are just thick, or don't care :mad:

I really think they genuinely thought if the lift was up you had to press the down even if you wanted to go up.

FrangedRose - it has happened to us quite often where the lift door keeps opening because people outside are still pressing the button. On most of these occasions I also think it is down to them just not realising what they are doing, probably because they are desperate to get the next lift to come in mind.

On some ships the stairwell opening, in addition to being located between two or more lifts (elevators), resemble the size and opening of a lift entrance. I have in moments of frivolous behaviour stood in the opening of a stairwell and announced "Going down". Without a moments hesitation several passengers would pass me into the stairwell area, at first oblivious to their whereabouts, until realizing they are standing on the stair landing. It usually gets a laugh but I have wondered what their reaction would be if a lift door opened without the presence of the lift itself.

If you press and hold your required floor, whilst holding the close door button (not keep open door button) until the lift doors close and the lift moves. Then you will go directly to that floor without stopping at any other floors, whether they have been requested on that floor or even been pressed by the people inside the lift.

This is a trick used by the emergency service people and I get a lift to myself or to my floor very quickly.

If you press and hold your required floor, whilst holding the close door button (not keep open door button) until the lift doors close and the lift moves. Then you will go directly to that floor without stopping at any other floors, whether they have been requested on that floor or even been pressed by the people inside the lift.

This is a trick used by the emergency service people and I get a lift to myself or to my floor very quickly.

That’s considerate of you. Have you ever considered those of us waiting with wheelchairs who have no choice but to use the lifts?

That’s considerate of you. Have you ever considered those of us waiting with wheelchairs who have no choice but to use the lifts?

Clearly not unless this is a compete wind up

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tried that, doesn't work on P&O or Princess.

Ahem...