Buck Island Half Day or Full Day? Lunch or Go Hungry?

Linda87

Please help.

My husband and I want to snorkel at Buck Island. One option is to take a half day day with either Big Beard's or Caribbean Sea Adventures. If we take a taxi to the Christiansted dock how doable would it be to take a taxi or just walk around Christiansten for awhile before returning to the ship? My husband would like to see the fort. Is this cramming too much in after snorkeling? Would getting taxi back to the ship from the town of Christiansted be a problem?

Caribbean Sea Adventures offers an extra two hours excursion time for the same price as their half day Buck Island trip ($75 pp). They don't include a lunch. I'm afraid I would be starving after 6 hours in the sun. They say you can bring a packed lunch, but where would we get a packed lunch from a cruise ship? Are there any vendors near the docks selling pack-able food? The size of their boats and the price is very appealing.

From the reviews everyone seems to love Big Beard's full day excursion, but at $105 pp is the extra $30 pp more than Caribbean Sea adventures worth it?

I really enjoy sun and snorkeling, and my husband likes it but not as much. He also sunburns easily. I don't want him to feel trapped, but on the the other hand this is our only planned sail and snorkel out of 5 ports of call. We're seeing forts, etc at other locations.

Any thoughts, especially from people who have been to St. Croix.

I went on the half day with Big Beards in the beginning of January. From my experience, the Caribbean Sea boat was slower in the water, and packed to the gills with people. I don't have experience with the lunch, or getting lunch in Christenstead. The boat arranged to have taxis back after we got back or at 3pm. We ended up going back to the ship for lunch because we weren't sure if we could fill all the time in Christenstead. Hopefully that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I am struggling with the same thing (but might not have to struggle too much since I may have waited too long to book :o) Is it really worth the extra $$ just for lunch?

I went on the half day with Big Beards in the beginning of January. From my experience, the Caribbean Sea boat was slower in the water, and packed to the gills with people. I don't have experience with the lunch, or getting lunch in Christenstead. The boat arranged to have taxis back after we got back or at 3pm. We ended up going back to the ship for lunch because we weren't sure if we could fill all the time in Christenstead. Hopefully that helps.

You said you went with Big Beards, but then mentioned from your experience with Caribbean Sea Adventures...did you go with them once as well? They "say" on their website that it's a 30 minute boat ride and said something about speed boats. I would assume they wouldn't be too slow. :confused:

They do mention that lunch can be purchased but I'm wondering WHERE? I assume it's not actually "on" the island.

• 2 weeks later...
Please help.

My husband and I want to snorkel at Buck Island. One option is to take a half day day with either Big Beard's or Caribbean Sea Adventures. If we take a taxi to the Christiansted dock how doable would it be to take a taxi or just walk around Christiansten for awhile before returning to the ship? My husband would like to see the fort. Is this cramming too much in after snorkeling? Would getting taxi back to the ship from the town of Christiansted be a problem?

Caribbean Sea Adventures offers an extra two hours excursion time for the same price as their half day Buck Island trip ($75 pp). They don't include a lunch. I'm afraid I would be starving after 6 hours in the sun. They say you can bring a packed lunch, but where would we get a packed lunch from a cruise ship? Are there any vendors near the docks selling pack-able food? The size of their boats and the price is very appealing.

From the reviews everyone seems to love Big Beard's full day excursion, but at $105 pp is the extra $30 pp more than Caribbean Sea adventures worth it?

I really enjoy sun and snorkeling, and my husband likes it but not as much. He also sunburns easily. I don't want him to feel trapped, but on the the other hand this is our only planned sail and snorkel out of 5 ports of call. We're seeing forts, etc at other locations.

Any thoughts, especially from people who have been to St. Croix.

The same question pops up all the time so let me settle this once and for all: Big Beards Half Day sail is the best choice, there is no-one else worth considering.

I've lived on St. Croix for 4 years now and I've been to Buck Island about a dozen times with several different companies.

Trust me that after a half day snorkeling in beautiful waters all you will want is a drink and a bite to eat, there are a dozen places on the boardwalk (where Big Beards drops you off) to get those 2 things. Angry Nates is a personal favorite but there is not a bad restaurant or bar on the boardwalk.

Catching a taxi will be easy, they usually do laps in front of Purple Papaya when the boats dock. If for some reason there doesn't happen to be one available for you just step into Big Beards store and ask them to call one for you, they have a good relationship with the drivers.

Edited by drake2014

• 1 month later...

Thank you Drake for your reply. I read many of your posts in this thread prior to our cruise and found them very helpful.

I took your advice and we booked the Big Beards half day cruise. It was last week. We had a great time. The staff was very courteous, helpful and fun. Buck Island is breathtakingly beautiful. And we were indeed ready to return to the cruise ship after the half day.

We did have some trouble getting a taxi back however. It was at least partially our fault. At the end of the snorkeling cruise Big Beards told us we could either take a taxi back immediately (about 12:30 pm) or return with the full day cruise at 3:30 pm.

Mistake # 1. I had forgotten to pack a razor. I decide someone in Christiansted must sell razors. We ask the Big Beards representative about getting a slightly later taxi. I'm told no problem, you just have to walk to their taxi stand about 2 blocks away instead of right in front of Big Beards. 10 minutes later I have the troublesome razor and we walk to the taxi stand. A taxi driver tells us they need a full cab, to walk around and he will find us when they have a full group.

Mistake #2. We listen to the taxi driver and walk around. Visit the scale house, read the sign about Alexander Hamilton, look at the chickens, etc. Then we notice a cab is filling up with people. We go over and they tell us they already have a cab full and to wait for the next one. We were there before everyone actually leaving. Guy who promised to "find us" has disappeared. This time we're going to wait right under the taxi drivers noses so they don't skip us again. Gradually 8 other people show up waiting for a taxi (they won't leave without 12). At this point it's been over an hour since we tried to get a taxi to Fredricksted. I have to use the restroom. I figure by the time 2 more people show up and the taxi loads I will be back.

Mistake #3. I leave husband at the taxi stand and go to the restroom. After received a frantic text from my husband, I run back just in time to see the taxi leave. We plop down and wait again for 10 more people. Finally get to board a taxi back where we had a very late lunch on the cruise ship.

If I had it to do again, I would have left with the main group right after completing the half day snorkel trip. I would have asked the cruise ship staff for a razor or looked near the port.