Tokyo Hotels?

Morgans

As far as what area to stay, it depends on what you want to do. If you planning on using a tour guide for example you might want to stay at a place that is a pick up point for the tours. If your going on your own, then a hotel near the Yamanote (Green) train line would be more convenient.

You might do a search on this forum since Hotels in Tokyo have been covered a number of times, the following is one example

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2525386&highlight=Tokyo+Hotel

• 4 weeks later...

I have just left Tokyo. I did everything on my own. I booked a pocket wifi in advance and picked it up at the airport. That way I could use google maps on my phone everywhere I went. I stayed at the Gracery Hotel Tamachi. Very close to airport and easy access to the JR Yamanote line, just a few minutes walk. This is a very quiet business hotel, so no excitement at night. I paid $500 CDN for 4 nights in a single room. No meals included. I am a senior female and walked the streets at night around this hotel with no worry. Front desk staff speak excellent English and are very helpful.

I travelled all over Tokyo by train using a Pasmo card which I bought at the airport and loaded with extra funds as needed

I will stay in this hotel next time I visit Tokyo

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We stayed at the Park Hotel, Shiodome, and found this to be a very convenient location. The hotel linked to both the Shiodome station and Shimbashi station by underground and above ground walkways.

The hotel was lovely, the rooms weren't large but were very clean and comfortable with wonderful views.

We bought Suica cards from the JR ticket office at Shimbashi station. They can be used on all Metro Lines and the JR lines, plus some vending machines.

I wanted to focus on Ueno and the Imperial Palace area as I've spent time on business trips in the more modern areas like Shinjuku.

I've booked at the Dormy Inn Ueno. It has a hot spring bath area which will be nice to relax in after the long flight.

The Skyliner train goes direct from Narita to Ueno.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

We stayed at the Park Hotel, Shiodome, and found this to be a very convenient location. The hotel linked to both the Shiodome station and Shimbashi station by underground and above ground walkways.

The hotel was lovely, the rooms weren't large but were very clean and comfortable with wonderful views.

We bought Suica cards from the JR ticket office at Shimbashi station. They can be used on all Metro Lines and the JR lines, plus some vending machines.

We will be coming into Tokyo from the Yokohama pier, for a two-day visit. Is a Suica card worth it for that time, which would only allow 1-1/2 days in Tokyo?

We will be coming into Tokyo from the Yokohama pier, for a two-day visit. Is a Suica card worth it for that time, which would only allow 1-1/2 days in Tokyo?

Probably not unless you're planning on bouncing all over Tokyo in that time, although it is very convenient. There is a ¥500 fee for the card itself. Suica is valid for ten years though so if you're planning to go back there again it might be worth it. Note: we chose the ¥2000 option when we bought ours, so ¥1500 of travel. We ended up having to add an extra ¥500 on the last day.

You can buy individual trip tickets at every station. The ticket machines have international language options although sometimes it's a bit obscure. There should be a map near the ticket machines showing the cost from that station to every other station on the network.

We chose to take a taxi from Yokohama to our hotel in Shiodome as we had quite a bit of luggage. We disembarked late, after 9:30am, so the traffic was quite light. The taxi cost ¥12,500 (around US $114) which was much less than the ¥16,000+ (US $145) I expected. It was worth every cent for the quick and comfortable transfer to the hotel.

Looking for recommendations for a hotel in Tokyo and best area to stay in. Many thanks.

This website was posted on our Grand Asia roll call. I would agree with the writer that the Ginza/Tokyo Station is the most convenient and most central area of Tokyo to stay. All train and subway lines are easily accessible. We just booked at the Millenium Mitsui Garden Hotel, just off the Ginza. Very convenient. I think it is a 4*.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/28/t...%2Ftravel-tips

This website was posted on our Grand Asia roll call. I would agree with the writer that the Ginza/Tokyo Station is the most convenient and most central area of Tokyo to stay. All train and subway lines are easily accessible. We just booked at the Millenium Mitsui Garden Hotel, just off the Ginza. Very convenient. I think it is a 4*.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/28/t...%2Ftravel-tips

Thank you for this - it's very interesting and useful. Looking at all suggestions carefully.