A few questions

InsureFun

We will only have 2 days in Cuba so we went to pack as much in as possible lol.

1. What is considered proper tipping for drinks, food, tours?

2. We want to explore on our own in the evening, is it safe? A friend went and swears there’s almost no crime but TripAdvisor has a warning so not sure.

3. Any good locally sourced and handmade items you purchased and would recommend beyond rum and cigars?

We will only have 2 days in Cuba so we went to pack as much in as possible lol.

1. What is considered proper tipping for drinks, food, tours?

2. We want to explore on our own in the evening, is it safe? A friend went and swears there’s almost no crime but TripAdvisor has a warning so not sure.

3. Any good locally sourced and handmade items you purchased and would recommend beyond rum and cigars?

Tipping is the same as U.S. and Canada.

Havana is very safe. I wandered by myself and never felt uncomfortable. There are many people out and around.

The wood carvings and paintings at the craft market in the old railroad warehouse that’s a few blocks farther into the harbor area from the port (turn left when you exit the terminal) are good choices. They also make a lot of interesting items from Cuban soda cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Havana and Cienfuegos felt very safe...we 2 women walked all over alone. People are very friendly and helpful, many knew English and they are interested in Americans! But, as anywhere, stay in well lit areas with others around...I wouldn't be wandering around in dark alleys. Santiago de Cuba had more poverty and we did not want to wander there...took a tour.

We found many small shops that people run in the front room of their homes. We found handmade crafts and interesting t-shirts. We also shopped in a pharmacy, a flea market and a small museum...got some nice souvenirs. By buying from locals, you help them earn a living (and they learn that capitalism is pretty good after all). ;)

Tipping is not the same as in the USA - tipping is not practised by Cubans.

If you are American and want to tip the same as in the USA, you are welcome.

Many from Europe and elsewhere will just tip for good service.

Tipping at resorts is perhaps the exception, but you won't get time to be bothered by those etiquettes.

Hospitality and tourism workers in Cuba are far and away the best paid - maids in resorts will earn as just much in tips alone in a week as a Cuban doctor earns in a month.

Some Havana restaurants have added a charge which is your tip, but from what I have gathered these are the ones typically frequented by tourists - so check what you are being asked to pay for.

Walking around Cuba anytime felt very safe, so personal safety is not likely to be an issue. We always took a torch at night as lighting was occasionally poor and streets had some interesting hazards - like the road disappearing and there being no barriers!.

Like anywhere, there is some petty crime, and lots of scams. Some locals regard tourists as their personal ATMs so be wary.

Lots of local artisans everywhere in Cuba - some you will see painting in the streets and these are great gifts as you know they are authentic and whatever you pay goes into a local's pockets. We really enjoyed what was available for purchase here: http://www.lahabana.com/guide/taller-experimental-de-grafica-de-la-habana/

Make sure when you buy your artworks to request that the Certificate of Authenticity is included in the price, and bring that certificate with you otherwise Cuban customs will require you to purchase one - I believe for $3 CUC.

Tipping at resorts is perhaps the exception, but you won't get time to be bothered by those etiquettes.

Hospitality and tourism workers in Cuba are far and away the best paid - maids in resorts will earn as just much in tips alone in a week as a Cuban doctor earns in a month.

Some Havana restaurants have added a charge which is your tip, but from what I have gathered these are the ones typically frequented by tourists - so check what you are being asked to pay for.

Walking around Cuba anytime felt very safe, so personal safety is not likely to be an issue. We always took a torch at night as lighting was occasionally poor and streets had some interesting hazards - like the road disappearing and there being no barriers!.

Like anywhere, there is some petty crime, and lots of scams. Some locals regard tourists as their personal ATMs so be wary.

Lots of local artisans everywhere in Cuba - some you will see painting in the streets and these are great gifts as you know they are authentic and whatever you pay goes into a local's pockets. We really enjoyed what was available for purchase here: http://www.lahabana.com/guide/taller-experimental-de-grafica-de-la-habana/

Make sure when you buy your artworks to request that the Certificate of Authenticity is included in the price, and bring that certificate with you otherwise Cuban customs will require you to purchase one - I believe for $3 CUC.

Where did you buy artwork? Who would you ask for a certificate of authenticity?

Great site!

At Almacenes de San José - http://www.lahabana.com/content/almacenes-de-san-jose-on-the-port-of-havana/

You ask the art sellers for the certificate of authenticity.

We are very interested in purchasing some artwork. Not too expensive so we are trying to figure out how much money to bring.

Could you tell me a range in prices about what they are selling for?

We are very interested in purchasing some artwork. Not too expensive so we are trying to figure out how much money to bring.

Could you tell me a range in prices about what they are selling for?

We only looked at smaller art and a lot was available under 50CUC.

However there are hundreds of art stalls and prices overall were exceptionally reasonable for the size and quality - especially vibrancy - of larger paintings.

I don't know what you regard as "inexpensive" for an original artwork so this is what I suggest. Take anything up to $500 with you and look for what you want and then negotiate a final price. There is a chance the seller will settle with you in USD, but if not, find the nearest cadeca (we used the one within 100 metres from the cruise terminal) and exchange what you need.