Impact of B2B cruises with Centrelink

And there is no assets test for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, just a generous income test.

Single $53,799,

Couple (combined) $86,076.

I didn't know that. We will be 70 this year and our income is well below that? May have to follow up on that. All we get is the opal card but you only need a seniors card for that.

I didn't know that. We will be 70 this year and our income is well below that? May have to follow up on that. All we get is the opal card but you only need a seniors card for that.

It is called the 'Commonwealth Seniors Health Card'. You are eligible if you are of pension age, but do not qualify for a pension. We find the card very useful for discounts at all sorts of places. Many places accept it equally with a pension card. Don't wait. Apply for it.

No-one tells you of your entitlements and they are not backdated. So as Aus Traveller said, apply straight away. It is the discounts which the card entitles you to, which allows you to stretch your retirement income longer (which saves the Government pension money in the end).

JillH - I don't think many people realise just how much money you can save, if you are frugal.

Well this has been an interesting discussion. Many thanks to those who specifically addressed the question. It’s much appreciated.

MicCanberra I’d like to address your comments directly. What would you consider acceptable discretionary spending while on a pension. Perhaps one of these? Going out for dinner, a bottle of wine or for that matter any alcohol, coffee while shopping, similarly lunch when out, playing bingo, club memberships, playing or attending sport, buying clothes just because you like them not because you need them, or perhaps own a pet? We do literally none of these ever! Cruising is what gives us pleasure so we live accordingly to make it happen. When we cruise it’s in the cheapest indoor cabin and no where near the speculated $200 per day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is great that you can get to do what you do and get a cruise or more out of saving your pennies. I was not having a go at you or anyone for getting the pension, if you are eligible then that is great. My point was that for better sustainability and to better target to those really in need, the thresholds should be lower. I wish you enjoyment on your cruises.

Edited by MicCanberra

It is called the 'Commonwealth Seniors Health Card'. You are eligible if you are of pension age, but do not qualify for a pension. We find the card very useful for discounts at all sorts of places. Many places accept it equally with a pension card. Don't wait. Apply for it.

Definitely apply as soon as you can.:D

Does that include drinks and things other than the cabin and meals?

Well, we don’t drink alcohol. we are diamond plus with Royal so collect three free cans of soda each evening to enjoy the next day. Gratuities included

On a side note, we need to ask ourselves why we are paying someone the Age Pension (a welfare payment) if they can afford to cruise for more than 6 weeks. One thing is for sure, they may certainly, they may qualify for more Pension after 6 weeks of cruising.

Omg ...who the :mad::mad::mad: do you think you are....shame on you. :mad::mad::mad:

JillH, having been through the hoops with Centrelink ourselves, we found the only people to talk to (if you can!) is Centrelink International. It is also important to let them know when you're back, they seem to develop "selective didn't know syndrome" with Immigration when you return. Funny though they always know when we've left! We once had a running battle with a local office when we did a 'round the top' cruise of Australia with mostly local ports and one in Indonesia. They slugged us for the full 15 days and we couldn't get through to them at all. International, when we got through, just said, "oh that's wrong" one minute and it was fixed. Talk to the people who know!

Steve.

Omg ...who the :mad::mad::mad: do you think you are....shame on you. :mad::mad::mad:

I feel this is a over-reaction, I was not condemning anyone for receiving a pension, I feel it is too generous at the top end of the threshold and not enough at the bottom end. However, you too are entitled to an opinion and can condemn me for thinking about the future of welfare payments and the recipients in Australia.

JillH, having been through the hoops with Centrelink ourselves, we found the only people to talk to (if you can!) is Centrelink International. It is also important to let them know when you're back, they seem to develop "selective didn't know syndrome" with Immigration when you return. Funny though they always know when we've left! We once had a running battle with a local office when we did a 'round the top' cruise of Australia with mostly local ports and one in Indonesia. They slugged us for the full 15 days and we couldn't get through to them at all. International, when we got through, just said, "oh that's wrong" one minute and it was fixed. Talk to the people who know!

Steve.

Great advice.:D

If you can use the MyGov site.

Select home on the left hand side. From the drop down menu, select Travelling Overseas.

You will then key in your travel details.

It will then advise you how you will be affected.

I agree about advising them of your return.

My daughter lost her Health Care Card and it took many phone calls to have it restored.

I feel this is a over-reaction, I was not condemning anyone for receiving a pension, I feel it is too generous at the top end of the threshold and not enough at the bottom end. However, you too are entitled to an opinion and can condemn me for thinking about the future of welfare payments and the recipients in Australia.

Not an over reaction... you are what you post .... !!!!!

No one should feel they have to explain themselves and/or their lifestyle to anyone on here, especially those who have worked hard all their lives and are now enjoying retirement...... we like a lot live a modest lifestyle, no coffee culture here, to be able to afford the joys of cruising now we are no longer time poor.

If you have no experience in this particular matter other than cut-n-paste your comments are only post counts .... unfortunately on CC a lot of great info goes by the wayside of thread hijacking and unnecessary commenting......

My apologies to all for having hi-jacked this thread..

Well this has been an interesting discussion. Many thanks to those who specifically addressed the question. It’s much appreciated. Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were away from Australia for 53 days early last year....trip to the UK and a 35 night cruise...we advised Centrelink of our movements and there were no adjustments made to the pension. If all cruises are international, I'm thinking they will be looked upon as accumulative, just double check your health care card is still active, if you have one, on your return..... have a wonderful trip.

Edited by essandjaybee
add

Steve.

Steve, thanks so much. That’s exactly the type of information I was looking for. I do have the direct number for the International department so I’ll contact them when I get home from this trip and ask the question. Funny though, in my experience they know exactly when I get back in Australia. I’ve even checked the Centrelink app 15 minutes after landing back in Australia after a more than 6 week absence and lo and behold the next payment was on its way back up again to regular levels. Amazing!

If you can use the MyGov site.

Select home on the left hand side. From the drop down menu, select Travelling Overseas.

You will then key in your travel details.

It will then advise you how you will be affected.

I agree about advising them of your return.

My daughter lost her Health Care Card and it took many phone calls to have it restored.

Now that’s great to know. I do have a MyGov log in but hadn’t noticed that option. Doing it that way they can’t say you didn’t tell them.

As someone who is nowhere near retirement, my understanding of the pension has always been that if one has spent 50 odd years working and paying tax into the system then they have earnt every penny of any pension they get.

They are not taking anything away from anyone, they fair dinkum paid for it.

I’m sure there are many teachers and nurses and police officers (etc) who weren’t in a position to accumulate million dollar assets, that doesn’t mean they didn’t “work hard”.

Cruise away I say, you deserve it.

Not an over reaction... you are what you post .... !!!!!

No one should feel they have to explain themselves and/or their lifestyle to anyone on here, especially those who have worked hard all their lives and are now enjoying retirement...... we like a lot live a modest lifestyle, no coffee culture here, to be able to afford the joys of cruising now we are no longer time poor.

If you have no experience in this particular matter other than cut-n-paste your comments are only post counts .... unfortunately on CC a lot of great info goes by the wayside of thread hijacking and unnecessary commenting......

My apologies to all for having hi-jacked this thread..

And yet you seem to be the one condemning me for having an opinion about our current system and the longer term affects on Australia's budget. I will say again, I was not having a go at anyone, it was just a side thought. I wish you well on your modest lifestyle and also cruising. The fact you can cruise is good for you but I know many who need all their full pension and more just to get by.

As someone who is nowhere near retirement, my understanding of the pension has always been that if one has spent 50 odd years working and paying tax into the system then they have earnt every penny of any pension they get.

They are not taking anything away from anyone, they fair dinkum paid for it.

I’m sure there are many teachers and nurses and police officers (etc) who weren’t in a position to accumulate million dollar assets, that doesn’t mean they didn’t “work hard”.

Cruise away I say, you deserve it.

Sorry to break it to you but the pension here in Australia doesn't work that way.You may be thinking of how Superannuation works or European Pension models work. In Australia it is means tested and has no bearing on how much tax you paid, although how long you lived (not necessarily worked) in Australia does have a bearing. It is a welfare payment and as such is targeted to those who need it rather than being a universal payment.

In any case, if you can afford to cruise, good luck to you.

Sorry to break it to you but the pension here in Australia doesn't work that way.You may be thinking of how Superannuation works or European Pension models work. In Australia it is means tested and has no bearing on how much tax you paid, although how long you lived (not necessarily worked) in Australia does have a bearing. It is a welfare payment and as such is targeted to those who need it rather than being a universal payment.

In any case, if you can afford to cruise, good luck to you.

No it's not a universal payment but as you say its generous and is provided to top up ones super, or provide in full for those who don't have any/enough. You are saying it shouldn't be so generous, but I think the attitude of (most) Australians is that the pension is indeed an entitlement earned after years (and years) of working, not a welfare payment like Newstart, and I've never heard anyone of my generation begrudge an older person their pension, full or part, ever.

Compulsory super didn't even come into effect until 1992, and it still might not be enough for many. Part pension tops that up. I got lucky compulsory super came in before I even started my working life.

What goes around comes around. I might be funding someone's part pension while they cruise now, but they funded everything that I had growing up like schools and roads and hospitals. Now I fund their pensions and for the next generation the schools and roads and hospitals. And they in turn will fund my part pension.. and on it goes

No it's not a universal payment but as you say its generous and is provided to top up ones super, or provide in full for those who don't have any/enough. You are saying it shouldn't be so generous, but I think the attitude of (most) Australians is that the pension is indeed an entitlement earned after years (and years) of working, not a welfare payment like Newstart, and I've never heard anyone of my generation begrudge an older person their pension, full or part, ever.

Compulsory super didn't even come into effect until 1992, and it still might not be enough for many. Part pension tops that up. I got lucky compulsory super came in before I even started my working life.

What goes around comes around. I might be funding someone's part pension while they cruise now, but they funded everything that I had growing up like schools and roads and hospitals. Now I fund their pensions and for the next generation the schools and roads and hospitals. And they in turn will fund my part pension.. and on it goes

I am not begrudging anyone getting the pension as it stands, it just won't be sustainable with our ageing population. It is the upper thresholds that have blown out , not the lower ones.

Don't get me started on Centrelink, but I will. My wife and are past aged pension age but we don't get a cent of aged pension from Centrelink because of my 'defined benefit' State Super Pension, it is a fixed fortnightly income stream for life, subject to CPI. We just squeezed in the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card for travel, cheap pills etc. Forget about Doctors bulk billing down here, full freight, $80.:o:(

What Aussies have to remember is...'There is no inherent right to an Aged Pension.:evilsmile: It will eventually fade away anyway.

As for people surviving entirely on the aged pension, doing the cruising, I am stuffed if I know how they can afford it.