RSSC Diamond or Silver Whisper in the Med? What is your opinion?

cruisinsince75

Here is my dilemma, I already have the RSSC Diamond booked for July 2, which is seven nights from Venice (overnight 1st night) to Rome with stops in Dubronvik, Hvar, Naxos (Sicily), Sorrento on a 2 for 1 deal.

Then along came a great deal on the Silver Whisper similar cabin though a little larger (37 sq ft) at the same price. It is mid May and is Rome to Monte Carlo. Also 7 nights with stops in Livorno for Florence, Portofino, Marseille, Port Vendres, and St. Tropez.

Both are same size ships with the same number of passengers, the Silver Whisper is truly all inclusive with drinks included anytime (but I won't be drinking in the morning and we will be off the ship and in port most of the days), the rooms are also a little bigger and have a seperate shower on the Silver Whisper. Both are good itineraries and both are the same price. Then you have the factor of Italy in July, will it be too hot and will there be a lot more kids and people in ports during July. Of course, we have never sailed out of Venice at sunset and I understand it to be pretty spectacular.

So, what would you do? We have never sailed on RSSC, but have been on Silversea and on the Silver Whisper. What is your opinion?

Thanks,

Don

Sounds like you are in a win/win situation. Both itineries are wonderful. In answer to your question about travel in July. YES...the Europeans are out in force...they REALLY like their holidays...and it is crowded. We prefer the fall for this reason. We have never sailed RSSC...so can't help you there. We are primarily Seabourn people with an occasional good deal on SS. We love Montecarlo..and the Riviera...but...Dubrovnik and Venice are special. You really have a quandry! Enjoy whatever your choice!

I'll take Silversea anytime! I've been on Radisson, and though it's good and though we got good value, there's no comparison in service and the level of passengers. As far as I'm concerned, Radisson is an alternative to Silversea and I wouldn't hesitate to take it again if I can get a great bargain. But at the same price as Silversea? No way! Think the difference between Grand Hyatt and Four Seasons Hotels.

We haven't been on those ships so we can't comment on the ships. However, we know something about the seasons. Other than Scandinavia, Summers in Europe are hot. Besides, everywhere it will be crowded, and being the high season, everything (air fare and hotels) will be expensive. So why go when it is hot, expensive and crowded, unless you have school children with fixed Summer holidays, or for some individual reasons you can only go during the Summer. We like Spring and Autumn, less crowds, low season fare and mild weather! Thank you.

Don, in my opinion also the Whisper wins for more than one reason. First, it sounds like you plan to tour ports with excursions and walking. Hot in July! As others have said, May is much less crowded and the weather more mild. I think May wins regardless of the ship. I have not been on the Diamond, but it is an older ship and I understand the cabins don't compare with the Whisper. We took the Whisper in May with an itinerary very like the RSSC - it was Rome to Athens, with ports in the Greek Islands and the Adriatic. It was an absolutely heavenly trip. However, I'm sure the ports for the Whisper on the cruise you are considering will be good, too. Just because of my prior experience, I can't imagine anything being any nicer, and I vote for the Whisper. You mentioned drinking - well, we don't drink much either, but it is very nice not having to sign for things and knowing that whatever you might like for a pre-dinner cocktail or post-dinner drink is included.

Wish I were going, but I can't complain. Leaving day after tomorrow for our ladies only WOWzer cruise in the Carribean on the Whisper!!!

glenda

If the RSSC ship were one of the newer ones (Navigator, Mariner, Voyager) this might be a closer call for me. The Diamond is a unique ship. But it doesn't match Silversea ships. The show lounge, for example, is very bad. The pool deck is not great. The lido cafe doesn't come closer to Silversea offerings. The other three RSSC ships give Silversea more of a run for the money (though I still prefer Silversea marginally). But to my mind Diamond is the weakest of the RSSC ships.

If you go to the RSSC website, click on ships, Diamond, and 2:1 fares..am sure

this voyage sold out early as RSSC rewards early bookings not late...there are

still 2:1 Voyages available in May, June, Aug, and Sept thos...r/wes

Don--I too would choose Silverseas for many reasons:

1)it's Silverseas and no matter all the RSSC hype, Radisson is NOT on a par with Silverseas

2)May, especially in Italy, is far more preferable than July both in weather and in crowds

3)Venice in July will be particularly crowded and also hot and perhaps muggy. Venice is delightful in Spring and Fall but earns its nickname of "the original Disneyland" during July and August

4)Service, food and innovative shore excursions

Just, as they say, my humble opinion.

Winner

Where the Silver Whisper scores substantially over the Radisson Diamond is in the areas of the accommodation,and the ship itself.

In the areas of food,and service there is not a great deal between them.

The 2005 Berlitz Guide states:

Food:Diamond-328 points

Whisper-339 "

Service:Diamond-328 points

Whisper-349 "

Only an individual can decide if Venice is more preferable to Florence,but one must bear in mind that Livorno is a lengthy drive from Florence,and even in May the city will be crowded.

In Venice the Diamond berths quite close to St.Marks square,and one can get into the city either before,or after,the crowds,and in any event once one is away from the Rialto Bridge/St.Maks tourist strip the streets are relatively empty.

Having been on both the Diamond,and the Shadow,the comparison is not one of "night,and day".

I'd pick Venice over Florence for a cruise--after all, it's a maritime city that--in the words of Henry James--is best approached by sea--but I'd also pick May over July, and I suspect that the WHISPER is a lot nicer than the DIAMOND--especially if you've got a suite with a balcony. (I was always skeptical about balconies until I discovered the joys of stepping outside in a bathrobe to check the weather, get a better view of the approaching shore before breakfast, or inhale a final draught of sea air before bedtime.)

In the areas of food,and service there is not a great deal between them.QUOTE]

Radisson's food is good. They do not have as many variety as Silversea, though. Rooms are comparable in newer ships. What I think is the biggest difference is service. I found service on Radisson is not well coordinated, it probalby means the crew aren't as well trained as in Silversea. Service on Radisson just isn't as smooth as on Silversea. I agree they just aren't in the same league.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Karen, I will check it out.

Also, the choice was made for us. Our Diamond cruise was cancelled, so ther was no choice. It all works out in the end. We got a great deal on the Whisper and Radisson offered us a $700 per person cruise credit for another cruise.

Archived