Q re alcohol

chardygirl

Hi

I have just been browsing the other sites and have noticed that a lot of people seem to take alcohol on board the other cruise lines. (yes i am aware that it isnt allowed)

Just wondering if anyone has 'taken' alcohol on a p&o liner (say the dawn) and if so how they did it.

Also what on earth is a rum rummer ?????

Jann

Hi

I have just been browsing the other sites and have noticed that a lot of people seem to take alcohol on board the other cruise lines. (yes i am aware that it isnt allowed)

Just wondering if anyone has 'taken' alcohol on a p&o liner (say the dawn) and if so how they did it.

Jann

hi Jann, a few people take alcohol onboard but if they are caught its taken off them and they may get it back at the end of the cruise

we have taken onboard 2 litre wine cask in our carry on and it got thru....maybe lucky.....espically on the p&o ships but with princess its a lot better because you can take wine and champange onboard and every port you go to you can take on one bottle per person

rum rummers camaflauge the alcohol but if you type in rum rummers and do a search you will see a lot of topics about them

rkmw

Hi

Jann

Hi Jann,

We took alcohol on Pacific Dawn,,,naughty, naughty, I know.. We were staying in Sydney for a while after the cruise, so figured if they took it, they give it back the night before, so we would have for Syd anyway.. Husb took carton beer and I took bottle bacardi and bottle of southern. Just packed in our suitcases, with lots of clothes around so no breakages. Friends we went with also took carton of beer and 2 bottles bacardi,( I remember boarding thinking, oh, no, we shouldnt have done that, what if they call us up, how embarressing...felt like a kid getting caught for smoking behind shed or something . lol ..But, nothing happened, our cases were delivered to rooms as normal. Quite a few people we talked to on cruise did the same thing and noone had them taken off them or anything. So, I really dont know why some do and some dont. p.s.....the fridges didnt keep drinks very cold, so we just got our steward to bring ice all the time... Fiona icon12.gif p.s... I dont know what a rum rummer is either, wasnt brave enough to ask and sound nieve..haha..

tassie cruiser - how long ago was that??? im going in may and im can drink a fair bit so taking my own would be MUCH MUCH cheaper, might have to look at sneaking on a couple of bottles of vodka hehehe, i wonder if they will be any stricker by then

tassie cruiser - how long ago was that??? im going in may and im can drink a fair bit so taking my own would be MUCH MUCH cheaper, might have to look at sneaking on a couple of bottles of vodka hehehe, i wonder if they will be any stricker by then

Hi there Surf_Chick

That was Pacific Dawn NYE cruise '07-'08.... Last year '08-'09 we did too, that was with Princess though. We off again on Pacific Dawn this NYE, havent thought about but we might as we are out of Bris and we are staying in Bris for few days after cruise, so same thing again, if it gets taken, we will still have for Bris.. Fiona

what i have used in the past is those ice bricks u freeze and stick in your esky to keep things cool, u can buy the ones where u put water in them to freeze, they have a screw top, i saw one in bunnings hardware a few weeks ago that held 2lts, was only about $4 they r rectangular and very thin so wont show up as a bottle or anything,

I used a rum runner on my last cruise & it worked really well. It is a clear heavy duty plastic bag with a screw top lid - kind of like the inside bladder of a wine cask but the seams are really strong so to prevent spillage (I did take it in a few extra bags just to be safe).

My friend tracked the rum runners in Oz & they cost about $9.00 for a 1 litre bag. I googled and could only find the us version http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/ hope this helps.

Thanks for replies.

Tassie cruiser how on earth did you get a carton of beer through x ray and did you leave the bottles as is ?

Will look into the iceblock as can always say i heard that the fridges were not cold or want it for sore muscles :confused: will think of something.

would prefer to take wine on board as like to drink that more than vodka but will go with the flow or maybe try both and see if i get to keep one or both. Wont tell hubby I have done it and give him the cases :D

Brossy - will check out your rumrunner link - maybe get a large toiletry bag and put it in there

Tassie cruiser can you let me know how you go on the NY cruise with getting the alcohol on board or not. Enjoy your trip - not long to go now

Jann

hahahaha arent we just a sneaky cheating bunch!!! :D

but it really does make the cruise REALLY CHEAP or REALLY EXPENSIVE!!! lol i think the 7 night cruise i did a couple of years ago i spent like $600 on drinks and thats when they were still cheap, so i dont want to imagine on my 11 night cruise what the bill would be like... i would certainly be happy with one or two bottles of vodka and then either purchase the soft drink or take my own as well :p

The only thing i dont get is, HOW DOES IT GET THROUGH CUSTOMS??? like for an aeroplane they are so strict but with the ship they must not be as much.....

I bought an awesome suitcase in thailand last year, one of those big hard cases, so things wont get crused in my bag :) i might put the vodka in lemonade bottles and in my suitcase.... i did hear somewhere how you can take the lid of without the seal breaking so that if it gets found the bottle looks "UNOPENED" ;)

Thanks for replies.

Tassie cruiser how on earth did you get a carton of beer through x ray and did you leave the bottles as is ?

Will look into the iceblock as can always say i heard that the fridges were not cold or want it for sore muscles :confused: will think of something.

would prefer to take wine on board as like to drink that more than vodka but will go with the flow or maybe try both and see if i get to keep one or both. Wont tell hubby I have done it and give him the cases :D

Brossy - will check out your rumrunner link - maybe get a large toiletry bag and put it in there

Tassie cruiser can you let me know how you go on the NY cruise with getting the alcohol on board or not. Enjoy your trip - not long to go now

Jann

Hi Jann,

With beer, husb just opened carton before we packed and as we had a suit case each, he put 2 x six packs in one case and the other 2 in the other case,(just to distribute weight a bit) left in plastic wrap and all.(thats what other couple did too) We didnt put any alcohol in the kids cases as that would be naughty..lol ...............icon10.gif

A few people and my self got called up to front desk on the Dawn last cruise. There was masking tape on my case with drink on it and about 20 other cases. They asked me to take it out and give it to them, so i did. It was like being at school. Oh well.

A few people and my self got called up to front desk on the Dawn last cruise. There was masking tape on my case with drink on it and about 20 other cases. They asked me to take it out and give it to them, so i did. It was like being at school. Oh well.

Did you talk to any others who had managed to get any alcohol on board ?

Wonder if it makes a difference if you are first or last to board :confused:

Jann

Please dont hold back - the more information the better the chances ;)

On my last cruise it was my sister in laws 50th Birthday.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

We bought a very expensive bottle of Moet for the night (Swarovski crystal type sp?)

I called P&O and they said present it at boarding to be handed over to the maitre de for the birthday dinner but corkage will apply!

(old rule, rare wines not sold aboard are allowed but only in the care of maitre de)

Well let me tell you ! I argued with the security from both P&O and Sydney customs who blank said no way!

I refused to board without the Moet kicked up a song and dance and demanded it was taken to the maitre de as told by P&O.

In the end after a long stand off and customs saying to security (Wow this is a very nice "Commemorative" bottle) They allowed me through!

we savored it in the cabin and even got glasses off the steward:D

Great but they missed the 2 lts of vodka and 1 lt of Gin.:D

You have to be inventive!

Empty contact lens saline solution bottles full of booze packed next to spectacles (even if you don't wear spectacles) is a good one!

Smuggling booze aboard is an art that i have mastered but wont give away secrets as the teens will latch on!

Use your own ideas, its actually fun and a bit naughty to get away with it! but in the long run doesn't save much money really so not worth the bother!

Be warned though! If your cases are late getting to the cabin you start to panic!:eek:

Den

lol! Port of call "Booze run"

when you get to a port take ashore a pair of silly jogging shorts, you know those ones with the wide high cut legs,a pair of cheap Dunlop jogging shoes and a peak, not a hat just a peak!

When you re-board with your water bottle full to the top with Vodka, jog on the spot looking at a pretend stopwatch on your wrist as you go through the 'DINGER' and look into the machine!

I might give this one a try myself lol.

Den

I smuggled vodka onboard in a listerene bottle-worked a treat, just packed it in my toiletrie bag

But a warning- I only aired my bottle for about a week before the cruise- and I could still slightly taste the minty freshness in my drinks!!! lol

Maybe rinse and air your bottle for a few weeks longer ,

I will definately do this again!!!

if you can take along 2 litre wine cask and have one in the box and take a couple out of the box and put them in a plastic shopping bag... they wont leak and may not show up on the xray and when you have finished the one in the box just replace it with one with the bladder

you have to be careful having it in the fridge just in case your cabin steward says something

rkmw

I smuggled vodka onboard in a listerene bottle-worked a treat, just packed it in my toiletrie bag

But a warning- I only aired my bottle for about a week before the cruise- and I could still slightly taste the minty freshness in my drinks!!! lol

Maybe rinse and air your bottle for a few weeks longer ,

I will definately do this again!!!

simple solution!

Use denture cleaner tablets,steredent I thnk? to soak the bottle then soak in Bicarbonate of soda overnight.

It takes that minty smell away;)

Den

I used a rum runner on my last cruise & it worked really well. It is a clear heavy duty plastic bag with a screw top lid - kind of like the inside bladder of a wine cask but the seams are really strong so to prevent spillage (I did take it in a few extra bags just to be safe).

My friend tracked the rum runners in Oz & they cost about $9.00 for a 1 litre bag. I googled and could only find the us version http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/ hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.

Just had a look on the USA website and on RETAIL LOCATIONS there is a contact for them in Oz and NZ.:)

Jillybean:)

Archived