Silver Shadow

neviboy

There must be someone on the board who is sailing with us on April 2nd. from M.Carlo to Rome.

Neville, it doesn't look like it. I still think you transfer your booking over and sail with us on the Whisper on 5/12. At least you would know somebody!!! LOL Hey and I found one other on the board that is on our cruise, so there you go!!!

Good Luck.

We always meet a couple or two on board with whom we can share our private tour excursions. One port is Gaeta, so I e-mailed Ruocco at sorrentolimo to recommend a guide, and lo and behold he will meet us at the ship. I think that 7 seas will see us, again, in Sept. Their 2005 brochure is still not out, yet.

:) Please don't take offense at this post. A few weeks ago we were considering a silverseas cruise. (5/26 out of Rome). it will be our first cruise and we like luxury and can afford it. So I started reading the boards. There was so much negativity re toiletries and clothing people wore I was really hesitant and got bad vibes.

We've booked on Star Clipper. Yes i know it's an entirely different type of ship...and possibly not up to the standard of Silversea. The main reason for changing was the discussion on the boards and a sort of "in the club" clique which seemed to present, as well as an itinerary which suited us better.

This may well be why people have not identified themselves as sailing.

Gwife,

Welcome to the board!

I think your decision to change cruise lines based on a few posts here was puzzling and probably regretful.

During any week during the year, up to around 1400 people are cruising on SS ships. I guess each ship makes around 45 cruises each year making a potential total of around 60,000 passengers+.

Deciding not to crusie with a company you'd clearly identified because of a few boring people like me seems daft and means you will have missed an experience of a lifetime. I promise you that identical co-members of the human race will be with you on Clipper, and they'll be as grumpy as us and have the very same habits you tried to avoid by jumping intended ship from SS. Personally I find most of the debate here lively - and I like that.

In any event enjoy your cruise and for your own sake I suggest you reconsider whether your conclusion about 60,000 people is sensible to be based on the posts of a dozen or so.

Jeff

I have found the people on this board to be very educated and articulate, as well as very helpful. Some people might be put off at some of the verbage, but these boards represent only a small percentage of those that will be cruising. I think most of Silversea's customer base has no idea this board even exists. It may not be a fair representation.

Our final decision was based on itinerary as much as the boards. People on the boards identified embarking and disembarking as problems, not to mention stewards service etc. It was very nagative vibes..ie Seabourn is better than were being emanated from this board in early Jan. We are also travelling with a child which seems to have aggravated a few people in the past.

The itinerary didn't quite cover the islands we wanted to see and as we have been frequent travellers to italy the Rome/Naples aspect we thought was a waste of a few days.

With regards to verbage and articulation there comes a point where copious amounts of discussion on one point become soporific.

From dear old Oz there are very few who have travelled on SS and it is hard to get any feedback by WOM. (although our agent had someone who returned last week or so and gave them rave reviews).

We were only influenced by the comments they didn't make our final decision. We may well decide to do a SS cruise in the carribean in the future. (can't do the jan in Oz cos were already booked to go elsewhere). We didn't exactly jump ship and I'm sure there are people on flyer who will ingrain their way into my nasal passage.

When you are about to spend $25,000 on a cruise and another $25,000 on airfares you like to have good information at your finger tips. It wasn't so much the people on the boards that I had concerns about, more the issues they were outlining although on some posts there was an air of us and you. Sure you'll find that anywhere tho. The biggest reason for change was....a sailing ship...

Now that I placed a feline among the avians.

;) Sometimes it doeasn't help to make comments re peoples education and articulation especially if you don't know them.. Soporific is sleep inducing (one of my uni lecturers was known as soporific stevens)...by the way..don't use Mr Webster we're based on good old Dr Johnson down here...

By the way i enjoy healthy debate and have appreciated some the the humour (eg of spelling) that presents on these boards.

Ah, the wonderful county of the land called 'Oz'

After my experience on Silversea last December, I consider your

decision wise ( to take another line ), at least for now.

When Silversea lowered their prices, many other things, which we

came to expect as high standards, were lowered as well.

The old saying "you get what you pay for".

Seabourn and the grills of Queens 'Mary' and 'Elizabeth' are

also the way to go - at least for now.

Happy trails,

Curls.

Archived