Help deciding between an Eastern Caribbean cruise!

Hello,

We are trying to decide on a cruise for this December. We decided we want to do an Eastern Caribbean to see St. Maarten, St. Thomas. We are trying to decide between these 2 cruises:

Oasis - Nassau, St. Maarten, St. Thomas - 7 night

&

Freedom - CocoCay, St. Maarten, St. Thomas - 7 night

We have been to both CocoCay and Nassau before and definitely prefer CocoCay. We loved CocoCay and didn't care for Nassau..... however we see this as a plus and a minus. We could either see CocoCay, or if we go to Nassau, we can stay on the ship that day and enjoy it with much less crowd!

Therefore, this really boils down to the ship it seems. The largest ship we have been on is the Mariner, and definitely want to go on an Oasis class some time, so a big ship isn't a negative to us. We do prefer the itinerary going to CocoCay a bit more, but think we'd prefer the Oasis ship.

Looking for your input and suggestion comparing the 2 ships to help us out, thanks!

Jon

What's the price difference?

I would take Oasis, without hesitation. Oasis is all about the ship and the shows. The ports are secondary.

Do one now, and the other the next time!

What's the price difference?

I would take Oasis, without hesitation. Oasis is all about the ship and the shows. The ports are secondary.

Do one now, and the other the next time!

Agreed. Based on the OP's comments about the itinerary, it looks like a choice between cruising for the ship v the itinerary. And if that is the case - all things being equal - after two times on Oasis I would definately say cruise that one for the ship.

I hate to even mention this... but have you looked at the Vision sailings.. more days and I'd guess less money... much smaller ship but much more interesting itinerary... .. you didn't say if you had kids with you... in which case maybe disregard this message

Oasis. I know people complain about Nassau, but I went to the Sheraton when in Nassau this past February, and it was as delightful as Coco....Oasis!

Thanks everyone! I forgot to mention the price and it will now sound like a no brainer I suppose..... for a balcony room, the cruise on the Oasis is actually $10 cheaper than the Freedom :D

No kids, however we are pretty young and almost kids ourselves !

If you can book Oasis for less than Freedom, I'd grab it...often this newest class has a big premium over older ( though still great ) ships, so for essentially the same ports,you have a chance to experience it. Next time you go to book a cruise, that may not be the case!

We didn't sail with kids and we had a blast! There is something for everyone!

I've been to MCO ,but never cruise from there. I have to say that FLL is the easiest place in the world to navigate. All laid out with great hotels, great shops, tons of cabs and all fairly reasonable. And terminal 18 is the easiest embarkation/ debarkation you'll ever experience.

Hello,

We are trying to decide on a cruise for this December. We decided we want to do an Eastern Caribbean to see St. Maarten, St. Thomas. We are trying to decide between these 2 cruises:

Oasis - Nassau, St. Maarten, St. Thomas - 7 night

&

Freedom - CocoCay, St. Maarten, St. Thomas - 7 night

We have been to both CocoCay and Nassau before and definitely prefer CocoCay. We loved CocoCay and didn't care for Nassau..... however we see this as a plus and a minus. We could either see CocoCay, or if we go to Nassau, we can stay on the ship that day and enjoy it with much less crowd!

Therefore, this really boils down to the ship it seems. The largest ship we have been on is the Mariner, and definitely want to go on an Oasis class some time, so a big ship isn't a negative to us. We do prefer the itinerary going to CocoCay a bit more, but think we'd prefer the Oasis ship.

Looking for your input and suggestion comparing the 2 ships to help us out, thanks!

Jon

This is a no-lose scenario IMO. Do one then the other. But as to choosing which one, which is more convenient to your schedule or easier port to get to? For me that is Port Everglades by a long shot, but after two visits to Allure, I will probably consider going back on Freedom again next. (But who knows what changes might come before 2014 which will probably be the next time I book a cruise.

I've been to MCO ,but never cruise from there. I have to say that FLL is the easiest place in the world to navigate. All laid out with great hotels, great shops, tons of cabs and all fairly reasonable. And terminal 18 is the easiest embarkation/ debarkation you'll ever experience.

I'll do a +1 (like) or Ditto which ever is most appropriate to this post ;)

Well we are flying in so either port will be similar. Fly in and take the RCI shuttle service to the port.

I also just looked on CruCon where we booked last time and by booking a balcony on the Oasis I would also get pre-paid gratuities, $100 on-board credit, and a dinner at a specialty restaurant. Really sounds like a no-brainer now!

I really do wish the Oasis went to CocoCay however....

Looking at a video someone on here just posted of the Freedom, it looks very similar to the Mariner we were just on as well.

I really do wish the Oasis went to CocoCay however....

I second that, but they would have to add a dock like they did in Labadee. I assume Coco Cay could handle that size crowd, but it would be tough. One of the questions I'll probably ask on my next Q&A session on Allure is if any new ports for those ships are in the works. After several years I would think they would want to break up the itinerary a bit. I'd love if if Labadee could be added to eastern taking off Nassau. I think it could be done logistically by going top speed quite a bit, but with fuel prices that probably won't be soon. I think a lot of people will be looking for something else in coming years.

Looking at a video someone on here just posted of the Freedom, it looks very similar to the Mariner we were just on as well.

Basically the same ship but stretched out.

One large difference in my eyes is that Sorrento's and Cafe Promenade are two seperate dining areas on Freedom. This opens up the congestion at the end of the Promenade when shows are over.

I much prefer the Freedom class over the Voyager class and I cannot believe I even said this as I always said I would NEVER sail the Freedom class because it would be too big. LOL

Tim

Price out the Indy (8day) eastern out of PE in Dec. for another choice:)

Looks like a nice itinerary however for the time we'd need to go the price is a decent amount more than the Oasis and doesn't have the same perks. Good suggestion though, I like that itinerary!

Ended up deciding and booking the Freedom. Upon calling who I have booked with in the past, I found the price of the Oasis had gone up a bit. I also found this was for a balcony room, but not an ocean view balcony room. The final numbers came down as follows which made it an easier decision for the Freedom for us!

Oasis Ocean View Balcony - $1179, $100 on board credit, pre-paid gratuities, dinner for 2 in specialty restaurant.

Freedom Ocean View Balcony - $949, $200 on board credit, dinner for 2 in specialty.

Also coupling in the fact that the Freedom takes us to CocoCay which we really prefer over Nassau made it easier.

Thanks for all your help!

Jon

Archived