Husband purposely missing embarkation due to schedule

bizeemom4

Here's a question. We sail out of NYC on 11/25. Husband cannot get the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off of work. The first scheduled port for the splendor is on Thanksgiving in Port Canaveral. Could he theoretically board in Port Canaveral? He is on our cabin reservation.

Not unless he pays the $400 fine for violating the PVSA.

By boarding in Port Canaveral and finishing in New York, the cruise becomes an open loop cruise between two US ports which is not allowed unless the ship visits a distant foreign port like Aruba, Curaçao, or Bonaire.

Even if he's willing to pay the fine, the cruise line might not even give him the option.

Is he able to miss the port deliberately and board and just pay the fine?

I didn't think that was allowed?

I edited my reply to address that, probably while you were typing. :o I don't think that the cruise line will even give him the option, even if he's willing to pay the fine.

Here's a question. We sail out of NYC on 11/25. Husband cannot get the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off of work. The first scheduled port for the splendor is on Thanksgiving in Port Canaveral. Could he theoretically board in Port Canaveral? He is on our cabin reservation.

Isn't there a stomach bug going around the week? ;)

I think Carnival is the only one who can give a safe answer to your intriguing question. If you have a Travel Agent, I'd give them a call because unless you booked directly with Carnival they will only want to talk to your agent. Stinks, but it's the way it is. Good luck and have fun!

Not unless he pays the $400 fine for violating the PVSA.

By boarding in Port Canaveral and finishing in New York, the cruise becomes an open loop cruise between two US ports which is not allowed unless the ship visits a distant foreign port like Aruba, Curaçao, or Bonaire.

Even if he's willing to pay the fine, the cruise line might not even give him the option.

What is PVSA?:confused::confused: I thought an open loop cruise consisted of starting at a US port and ending at a US port, which both New York City and Port Canaveral are? What am I missing here?

What is PVSA?:confused::confused: I thought an open loop cruise consisted of starting at a US port and ending at a US port, which both New York City and Port Canaveral are? What am I missing here?

It has to be the SAME US port.

Sorry, boarding is not going to be allowed for free, if at all.

It's up to the individual to "call in sick" which I would never do. Did he already have this day off when you booked, or did he "hope" to get it off and booked anyway? Questions to ask yourself. Depending on some situations, this may NOT be the "fault" of the employer, it may have been wishful thinking on the employee's part? There also may be a risk of getting fired etc etc etc.

I am not looking for any answers to these questions, just "ideas" to think about.

Curious - you said that you are leaving on 11/25 which is a Monday? And he can't get Wed off? What about Monday and Tuesday? So you would leave on a Monday and the 1st that your husband could make the cruise is Thursday? Isn't that a lot of missing days? Even if he could board on Thursday (which I don't think he can)?

Curious - you said that you are leaving on 11/25 which is a Monday? And he can't get Wed off? What about Monday and Tuesday? So you would leave on a Monday and the 1st that your husband could make the cruise is Thursday? Isn't that a lot of missing days? Even if he could board on Thursday (which I don't think he can)?

Yea, he'd be missing the lst 2 1/2 days. Leaves Mon, sea days on Tues and Wed, then Port Can. on Thursday where he wants to embark. This is a really stinky situation! It seems like the only solution would be to talk to his employer. GOOD LUCK and let us know the outcome. Fingers crossed it works out.

Yea, he'd be missing the lst 2 1/2 days. Leaves Mon, sea days on Tues and Wed, then Port Can. on Thursday where he wants to embark. This is a really stinky situation! It seems like the only solution would be to talk to his employer. GOOD LUCK and let us know the outcome. Fingers crossed it works out.

Since he can't board at Port Canaveral he would have to board on the 29th.

Seems crazy to pay for a flight to the bahamas for a cruise that is selling for $279.00 and you only get 4 days on the ship.

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

I think Carnival is the only one who can give a safe answer to your intriguing question. If you have a Travel Agent, I'd give them a call because unless you booked directly with Carnival they will only want to talk to your agent. Stinks, but it's the way it is. Good luck and have fun!

Haha. I am a TA but I didn't know the answer. But I'll call myself later and ask. :-) The cruise was a free one that Carnival gave to some agents last week so I'm not worried about him losing out on any money spent on the trip. I was just curious if this was a legal, viable option. It sounds like a sticky one so I'll tell him he's out of luck.

I put him on the reservation just in case he would be able to get Wednesday off. The day is 'closed' at his office as too many people already have it off so he's stuck. Yes, he can get Monday and Tuesday off but not Wednesday unless a million people change their plans.

Haha. I am a TA but I didn't know the answer. But I'll call myself later and ask. :-) The cruise was a free one that Carnival gave to some agents last week so I'm not worried about him losing out on any money spent on the trip. I was just curious if this was a legal, viable option. It sounds like a sticky one so I'll tell him he's out of luck.

I put him on the reservation just in case he would be able to get Wednesday off. The day is 'closed' at his office as too many people already have it off so he's stuck. Yes, he can get Monday and Tuesday off but not Wednesday unless a million people change their plans.

Has he offered $$$ to one of his co-workers to cancel their approved leave so he could get off?

Did you book the cruise hoping your hubby would get Wed. off?

I would call Carnival and get a definitive answer. Or at least hope the person you speak to knows the answer.

Strange that if my flight gets in late I cannot board at the next stop in Pt Canaveral

You know? I remember one time on the 4 night cruise on the Imagination from Miami to Key West and Cozumel when we were docking, there were several passengers on the pier with luggage waiting for the ship to dock. I'm assuming that they had missed the cruise the day before in Miami and had driven down. It made sense to me since I didn't know about the PVSA rules then.

I don't know if they took it upon themselves to drive to Key West without consulting with Carnival, or if they had Carnival's approval (I don't even know I they were allowed to board either). But I agree that checking with Carnival may be the first step for the OP.

To the OP: I don't know what line of work your husband is in, but at my company, only 2 employees are allowed to take vacation every week and we must bid for it the year before (I just bid for 2014). However, there's an unwritten rule that you can get approval for time off on a week that's already taken with manager's approval. The catch is that you must take the time off WITHOUT pay (you're placed on "leave" for a week). Any chance that your husband's job could extend a similar consideration for him?

Archived