Standing on line at Guest Relations and.....

Lois R

..having that rude person go up to the counter who was never on line.:rolleyes:

I was on Reflection last week and yes, I was next up and all of a sudden

I see this person walking up to the counter (she was not on line).......

I said "excuse me, the line starts back there"--------> and I pointed

to the back the line......she said, "oh this will only take a minute, I just

have to get them to give me a new S&S card":eek:.......

I said, no....we have all been waiting on line......well, the gal at

Guest Relations helped her.......:rolleyes:......I then had my turn and politely

told the young lady she should not have helped that person. The

line was long as it was the day before we disembarked and alot of

folks were needing different things. Guest Relations could see the line.

I did have a wonderful cruise and met some lovely people over the

week but this lady?......she is in the group who have no manners and

"it is all about her"..........

Edited by Lois R

..having that rude person go up to the counter who was never on line.:rolleyes:

I was on Reflection last week and yes, I was next up and all of a sudden

I see this person walking up to the counter (she was not on line).......

I said "excuse me, the line starts back there"--------> and I pointed

to the back the line......she said, "oh this will only take a minute, I just

have to get them to give me a new S&S card":eek:.......

I said, no....we have all been waiting on line......well, the gal at

Guest Relations helped her.......:rolleyes:......I then had my turn and politely

told the young lady she should not have helped that person. The

line was long as it was the day before we disembarked and alot of

folks were needing different things. Guest Relations could see the line.

I did have a wonderful cruise and met some lovely people over the

week but this lady?......she is in the group who have no manners and

"it is all about her"..........

I feel your pain! These people are everywhere. They're the ENTITLED people walking our planet. The fact that others had been patiently waiting in line to be helped with their questions/concerns was of no interest to her in her self absorbed world. I'm glad you had a great cruise.

Sorry, but if your room key is demagnitized (and it can and does happen very easily), it is a very quick transaction at guest services. It's a bit like being in a grocery store where there is a line of folks with baskets of food and someone comes up wanting to check out just two items....I let them jump ahead. I put getting a new card key into the same bucket.....it's not going to delay you very much. It's not being entitled or special.....it's just reasonable to let someone get a new key without standing in line.

when the new aqua spa cafe format started, I wanted to order one of the specials...that's it....just order it. There was a long line of folks wanting salads made to order. I thought about it and decided that it was unreasonable to have to wait in a long line, just to order something...about a 15 second transaction....so I went up to the counter and between folks in line, got my order in. Maybe I should have waited in that 10 minute line to place my 15 second order.... I guess I'm now a "special people"....

Edited by ghstudio

Sorry, but if your room key is demagnitized (and it can and does happen very easily), it is a very quick transaction at guest services. It's a bit like being in a grocery store where there is a line of folks with baskets of food and someone comes up wanting to check out just two items....I let them jump ahead. I put getting a new card key into the same bucket.....it's not going to delay you very much. It's not being entitled or special.....it's just reasonable to let someone get a new key without standing in line.

Sorry back to you....but I disagree...the line was long.....like almost

to the Passport Bar.....I had been standing there for almost 20 minutes.

And I was not the only one who saw her or who said something. So,

if there are lots of people with small issues they can all break in line?

No thanks......I disagree with you. Oh, at the grocery store, usually

(from what I have experienced) people might say, "excuse me".....at least

they acknowledge they have busted in line.......this lady was not in that

category.....and you could not miss the line........and in my opinion, it is

not reasonable......at least ask, "may I hop in front of you"?.......

There are ways to cut in.....and ways to cut in.

Edited by Lois R

Probably my only serious complaint with Celebrity is that they don't understand that when they give in to one, they sometimes deprive others. They don't want to confront/offend pool chair hogs, parent of children in adult areas, late comers at shows, etc and consequently offend the people following the rules.

On a cruise earlier this year, a man at the sunset bar kept inching farther and farther out of the smoking area and the bartender was keeping and eye on him but not saying anything. Finally, the guy says to the bartender "you don't mind, do you". The bartender looked trapped and we could tell he was going to say okay until my husband spoke up. If Eric hadn't said anything I know that guy would have been sitting at the bar all night smoking. It would have chanced away other customers and the bartender wouldn't have said anything because he didn't want to offend a passenger.

Sorry back to you....but I disagree...the line was long.....like almost

to the Passport Bar.....I had been standing there for almost 20 minutes.

And I was not the only one who saw her or who said something. So,

if there are lots of people with small issues they can all break in line?

No thanks......I disagree with you.

np. There are small issues and there are small issues that expand into long issues. To me, if the person just wants a key...that's an ok small issue. The problem, and I agree with you on this, is the folks who say I have a small issue that will only take a second and then take 10 minutes.

Agree with Lois completely. I do not care what you need, if there is a line wait in it like everyone else.

I often drop off thank you notes for guest relations to deliver to people who have done something for me or who have given me a gift. I DO NOT go to the front of the line because "it will only take a minute". Sorry, not ok.

when the new aqua spa cafe format started, I wanted to order one of the specials...that's it....just order it. There was a long line of folks wanting salads made to order. I thought about it and decided that it was unreasonable to have to wait in a long line, just to order something...about a 15 second transaction....so I went up to the counter and between folks in line, got my order in. Maybe I should have waited in that 10 minute line to place my 15 second order.... I guess I'm now a "special people"....

That's exactly the entitled attitude that upsets people.... I'm sure that some of the people that were standing in the line only needed a new key card too, and they waited their turn. There is a very big difference between letting that person behind you with 2 items go ahead of you (your choice to be polite and not make them wait) .... and someone disregarding the line and and stepping to the front. There are ques/lines for a reason, and the CS agent should have asked the woman to step the end of the line and wait her turn, like the others were. Just because your transaction will possibly take less time than mine, doesn't mean you should be able to bypass those who are waiting their turn, my time is just as valuable as yours.......

just sayin.

and ask everyone you're cutting in front of not just the person at the front of the line.

Touche......I agree with you.....not sure why I said that:eek:

And in this case....the line was seriously slow and long.....each Guest

Relations person was helping a person...so at least 3 or 4 Guest

Relations people......all were busy.

np. There are small issues and there are small issues that expand into long issues. To me, if the person just wants a key...that's an ok small issue. The problem, and I agree with you on this, is the folks who say I have a small issue that will only take a second and then take 10 minutes.

The problem with this concept is there may well be 8 people in the line of 40 people who need a new key. If we follow your concept, all 8 people needing a new key get to cut the line?

Then what about the other 32 who have lined up waiting to have their problem addressed ? They get to wait longer, because the key issue can be fixed quickly? How do the line cutters know the other 32 issues can't be fixed as quickly as the key issue?

Nope, first come first served is the only fair way to manage the process. The other option is to set up a separate line for "small issues" and we know how that would work don't we. Much like the 9 items or less line at the supermarket !

Agree with Lois completely. I do not care what you need, if there is a line wait in it like everyone else.

I often drop off thank you notes for guest relations to deliver to people who have done something for me or who have given me a gift. I DO NOT go to the front of the line because "it will only take a minute". Sorry, not ok.

What every happened to just being nice. What happened to chivalry? We were on a tender on our recent cruise and all the seats were taken...by passengers of course. Our friend has an obvious walking problem and uses (and was using) his walker. Not one passenger offered him a seat. What about our wives...nada...not one gentleman said, would you like my seat. Not a surprise, one lady did offer her seat (turned down, but the offer was appreciated).l

I think when one comments about "special people" or "wait in line no matter what the situation".....one really has to think about how people treat people these days. We do live in a "me first" world....I find that a bit sad.

I have offered a seat before, I have waited for the next elevator

before so someone else could take the spot.......yes, I consider myself

to have been raised with manners.

This particular circumstance? She was the was who was rude....not me.

Edited by Lois R

I have offered a seat before, I have waited for the next elevator

before so someone else could take the spot.......yes, I consider myself

to have been raised with manners.

This particular circumstance? She was the was who was rude....not me.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone was rude. We just have different perspectives on what was right or wrong.

I was going to chirp in with similar thoughts and tales of me having to come-back to the counter told not to line-up again.

My gut says that the people at the counter usually know what the situation is.

Those in line guess. :o

Kinda lost me on this one.

Line happens.

Edited by A Sixth?

I wasn't suggesting that anyone was rude. We just have different perspectives on what was right or wrong.

She was rude......she started to answer me back and then she left in

a huff.......and to be honest, I don't think I was wrong for saying something to her. I pointed out there was a line....and your perspective

thinks I was wrong for saying something?....oh well.

Oh wait, you mean it was ok for her to bust in line.......well, you are right about one thing...we have different perspectives on

right and wrong. And I will help folks who are challenged.....actually I was at the grocery store today..there was a man in

his wheelchair who was trying to get into his van and I could not help him (he was a large person) so I ran into the store

and asked a Manager to come help him....2 managers came outside and helped. So there are good people in the world.

(since you mentioned the grocery store).......but I think they are totally different circumstances and I still think she

was wrong.

Edited by Lois R

What every happened to just being nice. What happened to chivalry? We were on a tender on our recent cruise and all the seats were taken...by passengers of course. Our friend has an obvious walking problem and uses (and was using) his walker. Not one passenger offered him a seat. What about our wives...nada...not one gentleman said, would you like my seat. Not a surprise, one lady did offer her seat (turned down, but the offer was appreciated).l

I think when one comments about "special people" or "wait in line no matter what the situation".....one really has to think about how people treat people these days. We do live in a "me first" world....I find that a bit sad.

Wow, my first post on the boards in weeks and I really walk right into it. Did I miss something about someone having a "walking problem"? I do not think so. Nor do I feel standing in line makes one a "me first" person. The "me first" person is the one who cut the line. I am not at all certain how you can compare the two events.

Depending on how much time I had available to me after being on and waiting on a long line and being the NEXT person on that line, I don't think its unreasonable for a line cutter to ask permission of the NEXT person to go ahead based after a short discussion of severity only if the NEXT person agrees.

I don't think everyone on the line has to agree on that policy; I think its OK for the next person to be tolerant and gracious if that is what they decide.

And I think the person asking for a special accomdation has to undertand that they better not be taking advantage.

But becasue its not a perfect world, its a tough call and best left to CS to handle and manage. In this case they risked alientating many, many guests, so I'd say its an error in judgement on their part. No one guest's CS issues should hold a greater importance over anothers when lines are in place and multiple CS staff are in place to accomdate the line of guests and the issues, as it seems, was the case based on the details provided.

While a key card issue is standard fare, I'm guessing manyof us have had to deal with a bad card...the line starts in the back.;)

What every happened to just being nice. What happened to chivalry?

The same could be said for the offending person. What happened to her "just being nice" and respecting that there were people already waiting. Isn't it more chivalrous to let the people already in line go first no matter what?

Not sure what I think about your value system if you think this kind of behavior is acceptable. :rolleyes:

Agree with Lois completely.

Hi Bill,:) it would have been nice to have met you.....you were on the

11/8 cruise too, right? We had a very nice roll call.....and I would

say between 40 and 50 people showed up at the CC gathering.

Maybe they open an "Express Lane" at guest relations... ;)

If your problem takes less than 30 seconds you (and others with "easy" problems) get in and out quickly. :)

They could have a big digital countdown clock above the window that starts when you walk up, and if you run past 30 seconds, you get bumped to the back of the "not-so-happy line." :eek: :D :rolleyes:

I think I might have been a LOT more vocal than Lois was, given the same situation.

People like the described line jumper have absolutely no regard for anyone other than themselves, and just like an undisciplined, ill behaved child, they will continually expect and demand preferential treatment UNTIL they are challenged and STOPPED.

Edited by teecee60

Maybe they open an "Express Lane" at guest relations...

If your problem takes less than 30 seconds you (and others with "easy" problems) get in and out quickly.

They could have a big digital countdown clock above the window that starts when you walk up, and if you run past 30 seconds, you get bumped to the back of the "not-so-happy line." :eek: :D :rolleyes:

And hand a giant "hall pass" type sign for the "just comeback but please don't-line-uppers" :p:D

hallpassed2.jpg

I agree with Lois (and Patty). The person who REALLY dropped the ball here was the Guest Relations rep, who caved to the rude line-breaker. I think the appropriate response would be: "Ma'am -- I really do want to assist you, but you can see that there are others that I need to help first." And, if the line is that long, they need to be calling for back-up GR reps!

Agree with Lois here. A key pass card may take longer than a few seconds depending on the issue. Was it demagnetize, lost, did someone else try to use it if lost? There may be guests in line who only want an attention to detail card, or change for a $50. How long does that take vs a new key pass card?

Off Topic. We have a specialty bread baker here who sells everything at 50% off 1/2 hour prior to closing (anything not sold goes to food pantry's BTW). Rule is, you line up out side and wait until they tell you the time is now. One cold day a woman came up just at opening time and went to the front of the line. She was politely pointed to the back of the line and responded with "Well, I was sitting in my car for 20 minutes waiting until 5:30 so I should be at the front of the line." Talk about entitled. She was again directed to the back of the line and told to wait in the cold the next time she wanted to be 1st for 50% off.

Mary Lou

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU