Gratuities???

:):)Hi, myself and my 14yr old daughter are sailing on independence of the seas in July.

I haven't yet paid the gratuities and wondered if anyone can advise me on this? Is it better to pay in advance or at the end? How does it work ?

Hellooo!

It really doesn't matter if you want to pay them at the beginning or at the end, I tend to do them at the start just to get them over and done with.

They are worked out per person per night, I've tried to explain how gratuities work here: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/26/cruise-line-gratuities-infographic/

I hope that helps! I would recommend paying them before you go if you have the money :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thankyou that's really helpful, so that's around £270 for the both of us then I think? Does this cover everything so there will be no hidden charges at the end? I've bought us drinks packages too and I'm sure the gratuities are already added for this.

Yes the drink packages already have included the gratuities in the cost of the package.

You may want to take some extra cash with you in case you want to give any extra tips at the end of the cruise to anyone whom you feel may your cruise an enjoyable one.

Thankyou that's really helpful, so that's around £270 for the both of us then I think? Does this cover everything so there will be no hidden charges at the end? I've bought us drinks packages too and I'm sure the gratuities are already added for this.

The prepaid gratuities will cover your stateroom attendant and helpers, plus your dining staff.

The prepaid gratuities will cover your stateroom attendant and helpers, plus your dining staff.

And any support personnel necessary to assist them in their serving you. Many people you never see will benefit from the gratuities you pay.

We typically pay them in advance of the cruise as part of the booking, Then, at the end of the cruise, the final ship board balance we owe will be less by that amount. I find that it is easier psychologically to pay them in advance and be done with them rather than be surprised at how much they increase the total that I may owe at the end of a cruise.

Anything to lessen the pain of realizing our vacation coming to an end. ;)

Drink prices on RCI from the UK have the tips added already i.e. the price you see is the price you pay. :)

To be clear, you reference prepaying or paying at the end. If not prepaid, the on board options are daily automatic charges for gratuities to your SeaPass account, or request no automatic payment at the front desk and then pay cash at one time to your stateroom attendant and wait staff at the end.

• 6 months later...

My husband and I recently went on a 5 day cruse. Only our 2nd. (last 1 was 20 years ago). We prepaid our gratuities and were told by experienced cruisers that we could leave extra if we wanted to. However on the next to last day we found an envelope on our bed from our cabin steward basically asking for more money. How common is this?? It made me feel very uncomfortable. If I want to leave extra it should be at my desertion....this felt more like an obligation. None of our experience friends have ever had this happen to them.

My husband and I recently went on a 5 day cruse. Only our 2nd. (last 1 was 20 years ago). We prepaid our gratuities and were told by experienced cruisers that we could leave extra if we wanted to. However on the next to last day we found an envelope on our bed from our cabin steward basically asking for more money. How common is this?? It made me feel very uncomfortable. If I want to leave extra it should be at my desertion....this felt more like an obligation. None of our experience friends have ever had this happen to them.

I have never seen this before. What cruise line was it? If someone left a gratuity envelope, I also would be turned off by that and probably would not give extra.

You have posted only three times, all complaining about this in several threads, and even opening up old threads just to complain. Some room attendants will leave an envelope as a courtesy, not as a solicitation. I am sorry that you took the low road and decided to be offended by a simple courtesy.

You have posted only three times, all complaining about this in several threads, and even opening up old threads just to complain. Some room attendants will leave an envelope as a courtesy, not as a solicitation. I am sorry that you took the low road and decided to be offended by a simple courtesy.

Hmmm. Did not notice this was an old thread and certainly was not aware of the posters other complaints. I have not been on many cruises, but I truly have never seen this. I don't know if I would consider it a courtesy or not. I feel like they are saying to give them more money. JMO. If I needed an envelope, I would go to guest services. Oh, well. Just saying.

Hmmm. Did not notice this was an old thread and certainly was not aware of the posters other complaints. I have not been on many cruises, but I truly have never seen this. I don't know if I would consider it a courtesy or not. I feel like they are saying to give them more money. JMO. If I needed an envelope, I would go to guest services. Oh, well. Just saying.

Yes, the complainer joined in the last couple of days and their only posts are the same complaint. It seems they have an over inflated problem with such a small, insignificant issue if they feel the need to join to only post complaints about the same thing on various threads.

I always do auto grats and sometimes, if it is warranted, give more. I have received such envelopes on some, but not all, cruises. I was never offended by them being there. The use of envelopes was standard on cruises even as late as a decade ago. The steward leaving an envelope was, in my opinion, just being helpful, not greedy.

I always do auto grats and sometimes, if it is warranted, give more. I have received such envelopes on some, but not all, cruises. I was never offended by them being there. The use of envelopes was standard on cruises even as late as a decade ago. The steward leaving an envelope was, in my opinion, just being helpful, not greedy.

Yes, I agree. I remember years ago when the envelopes were on the bed. 4 , if I remember correctly. Cabin Steward, Head waiter, asst waiter and Matre D (spelling?). But this was before auto gratuities. I actually liked it better that way. But I realize that the workers often got screwed.

Edited by Living4acruise2day
spe.

Yes, the complainer joined in the last couple of days and their only posts are the same complaint. It seems they have an over inflated problem with such a small, insignificant issue if they feel the need to join to only post complaints about the same thing on various threads.

I am new to this and am just looking for information. I am unfamiliar with where to post to get my answers. I wasn't complaining I just wanted some input. Did not expect to get trashed !!!

Your post was rude

I am new to this and am just looking for information. I am unfamiliar with where to post to get my answers. I wasn't complaining I just wanted some input. Did not expect to get trashed !!!

Oh, my dear, you did NOT get trashed. On such a subject as gratuities .... use the SEARCH box/option. There are TONS of threads/posts on this topic. And some of those posters get TRASHED.

So, I've held my tongue until now. When you enter a restaurant, do you ask patrons as they are leaving, "what did you leave as a tip"? You wouldn't. It is guache. IMHO, it is gauche here, as well. NO ONE can answer that for you. If you FEEL like leaving an additional tip .... then leave an additional tip. The amount is strictly between you/husband and cruise employees.

From some posters around here you’ll get trashed just for saying good morning, and if you dare question their tipping mindset it will just get trashier.

Your post is great. I have seen these 'complaints' also. I have also cruised in the age of tip envelopes. There are tip envelopes in every hotel I stay at. Tip envelopes are still used because MANY people do NOT pay auto/pre-paid gratuities. SO, it IS a courtesy to provide envelopes.

There are even tip jars at counter services .... Starbucks, etc. There WAS a time when counter service did NOT demand/receive tips.

Yeah .... right .... you're going to go to Guest Services and ask for envelopes. Oh and the check is in the mail to pay for the prime coastal property in Florida!

Edited by CruiseGal999

I think the problem is that you have posted this same comment/complaint on several threads, which is unusual and unnecessary. Once is enough for each comment!

To answer your question, some stewards leave envelopes as a courtesy. You may want to tip extra to a staff member. You may want to tip an employee not covered by the automatic gratuities.

As an example, I normally tip bar staff in the diamond lounge either nightly, or at the end of the cruise. At the end of the cruise I prefer to hand to one of the waiters and write on envelope "thank you - diamond bar staff" or something similar. I stop by guest services for envelopes and appreciate it if steward leaves some in the cabin - then I don't have to go to guest services.

I think you are getting too upset about having envelopes left; some people appreciate them.