Crete, Chania. Iconic islands

Blue flags skewer the stretches of sand in this part of Crete, the old town is said to be the prettiest in Greece, the Samaria Gorge is protected as a World Biosphere Reserve, and the menus in the harbour restaurants do justice to classic Greek dishes like bourkei pastries and Cretan pilaf.

Most visitors head up to the mountain village of Archanes under the pretext that they're going to see Minoan ruins. But really, they're there to try the local wine that's renowned across Greece.

Just over an hour's drive from Chania, a 16-kilometre cleft dissects the Cretan countryside. The Samaria Gorge is best explored on-foot via one of the trails that criss-cross their way through the reserve.

Its a lovely place. Though you dock outside Chania, of the ship, get the bus into Chania (I think last year it was about two euro?? . Where you get off keep right and take second on the right (As my good lady says turn down at the pandora shop).. Harbour about 5 mins from there. enjoy.

Blue flags skewer the stretches of sand in this part of Crete, the old town is said to be the prettiest in Greece, the Samaria Gorge is protected as a World Biosphere Reserve, and the menus in the harbour restaurants do justice to classic Greek dishes like bourkei pastries and Cretan pilaf.

Most visitors head up to the mountain village of Archanes under the pretext that they're going to see Minoan ruins. But really, they're there to try the local wine that's renowned across Greece.

Just over an hour's drive from Chania, a 16-kilometre cleft dissects the Cretan countryside. The Samaria Gorge is best explored on-foot via one of the trails that criss-cross their way through the reserve.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Its a lovely place. Though you dock outside Chania, of the ship, get the bus into Chania (I think last year it was about two euro?? . Where you get off keep right and take second on the right (As my good lady says turn down at the pandora shop).. Harbour about 5 mins from there. enjoy.

Thank you

Hi,

There’s a couple of local beaches, Kertos and Akti both fairly short taxi rides away from the old port.

The old port area is lovely with plenty of tourist shops selling all sorts along with waterfront bars and restaurants all around the bay.

We found the little Maritme Museum interesting and enjoyed our day in Chania.

That’s not out of a guide book.

SAC

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your replies. We don’t like sitting on the beach all day but enjoy a few hours there. Which is the better beach? We will definitely have a look round the old port

Out of the three ports they use in Crete Chania is the nicest