ANZAC Day 2018

Just back home now from dawn service at Penrith, NSW. Great turnout for the service, moving ceremony & then a couple of schooners and brekkie at Penrith RSL in memory of our diggers.

Thanks to all service personnel, past & present.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them. Lest We Forget.

They shall grow not old

as we that are left grow old

age shall not weary them

nor the years condemn

At the going down of the sun

and in the morning, we will remember them.

There is nothing more moving than hearing an old digger recite this ode, whilst remembering his mates lost and injured in war.

As a NZ Naval Veteran of over 20 years service it heartens me very much to see the youngsters attending both Dawn and Civic services on ANZAC Day. Whilst issuing the rum at the gunfire breakfast yesterday a young fellow came up to me to show off his great great grandfathers medals that he was wearing. He was as proud to wear his gggrandad's medals as any serviceman would be wearing their own. He was too young to get a tot though

As a NZ Naval Veteran of over 20 years service it heartens me very much to see the youngsters attending both Dawn and Civic services on ANZAC Day. Whilst issuing the rum at the gunfire breakfast yesterday a young fellow came up to me to show off his great great grandfathers medals that he was wearing. He was as proud to wear his gggrandad's medals as any serviceman would be wearing their own. He was too young to get a tot though

I agree that it is great that the young people are being taught about the sacrifice of past and current generations of servicemen and women.

There have been an umber of complaints arising out of ANZAC Day commemorations in Austrlia where the New Zealand national anthem wasn't played. The service at Surfers Paradise RSL made Australian TV news about the removal of the NZ anthem. The RSL has since apologised. I was watching the start of the Canberra Raiders Nth Qld Cowboys rugby league match earlier tonight and they commemorated ANZAC Day. Although no kiwis were involved we had our anthem played as well as the Aussie one. This is how the ANZAC spirit should be demonstrated. Locally we ensure that the service handout contains the words to the Aussie anthem for those who don't know it.

There have been an umber of complaints arising out of ANZAC Day commemorations in Austrlia where the New Zealand national anthem wasn't played. The service at Surfers Paradise RSL made Australian TV news about the removal of the NZ anthem. The RSL has since apologised. I was watching the start of the Canberra Raiders Nth Qld Cowboys rugby league match earlier tonight and they commemorated ANZAC Day. Although no kiwis were involved we had our anthem played as well as the Aussie one. This is how the ANZAC spirit should be demonstrated. Locally we ensure that the service handout contains the words to the Aussie anthem for those who don't know it.
Agree this is as it should be - both anthems are required to commemorate ANZAC Day.

Did you notice the soldier reciting The Ode at Raiders Cowboys game went a bit blank at one stage and nearly reached for his pocket where I assume he had the words. Recovered nicely in the end!

Cheers

I'm pleased the Surfers Paradise RSL has since apologised, as the Gold Coast has a large Kiwi population. It is my favourite Dawn Service on the beachfront.

I agree that both anthems should be played at any Anzac service. I am glad that the RSL has since apologised for their mistake.