Spray-On Tanning?

Kate227

I have a friend leaving on a cruise in a few weeks. She asked me about getting a spray-on tan. as she doesn't tan naturally and I know NOTHING about them.

She wondered how long they last, any problems getting in salt water with one, will it look natural -any pros or cons.

Any info I can pass on to her she would appreciate.

Thanks!

As Livin4Real said please tell her not to be under the false impression that a fake tan will stop her burning in the sun, it won't so a high SPF is a must.

I've used every type of fake tan known to man over the years so the following is from experience (some good and some not so good - in fact I've have some disasters myself :eek:)

If she has never applied fake tan before I would advise going to a professional to get it done. I have seen many streaky orange people in my time who have obviously thought they could DYI.

Tell your friend to exfoliate well before having the fake tan applied as it takes to the knees, elbows and ankles really well and if these bits are a bit rough well again your left with unsightly darker patches.

Your friend must choose the colour she wants applied wisely if she wants it to look natural. Nothing worse than seeing someone who has gone orange.

Sea water and chlorinated pool water will make the fake tan fade faster and it may cause it to go patchy.

Hope this helps.

They WILL wash off--and scrubbing, shaving legs, etc... only hastens the process. They can start to look "dirty" around the ankles, feet, wrists and hands---that's a very hard area to look "natural" anyway.

A better option might be one of the self-tanners (the Jergens foam is working very well for me, without that nasty odor!!!) and then gradually work into a real tan...

• 3 weeks later...
I have a friend leaving on a cruise in a few weeks. She asked me about getting a spray-on tan. as she doesn't tan naturally and I know NOTHING about them.

She wondered how long they last, any problems getting in salt water with one, will it look natural -any pros or cons.

Any info I can pass on to her she would appreciate.

Thanks!

That stuff is really bad for your skin, it makes you yellow and it dyes your skin so when you try to take it off in the shower it becomes streaky. Tanning beds are really bad for anyone, I had a customer who died last year a young girl 28 yrs old she over used the tanning beds and fried her skin, causing welts of skin cancer she wanted to be brown. I told her many times that she is getting skin cancer she did not believe me, when she bought a necklace for her 27th birthday in our shop. she became a customer of my brothers, since she had her wake at our funeral home fourteen weeks later. just after she turned 28. sad really sad, she never knew that those welts turned into cancer and she was doomed. she was a very pretty girl. Jennifer rest in peace dear one.

Now I am really scared! I will never use a tanning bed nor the spray. It can happen to anyone is that right red?

Loretta

There is no danger from the the sprays. They have nothing in them to harm you. They are simply a dye that turns your skin darker and I've never heard anyone give warnings about using them. In fact, doctors and ohter health professionals recommend those products instead of tanning beds.

Tanning beds are just like the sun and can cause damage. Many people do still use them, but if you are cautious about your health, avoid the tanning beds and go with the spray products.

CG

Jergens lotion or the generic CVS or Target brand which is called Glowing something. It is a daily moisturizer that I use after showering before getting dressed and it slowly gives me a tan glow without looking artificial. They have one for light skin (which I would start with) and one for medium skin tones. I use it every other day and I get complimented all the time - even my teen age daughters don't give me a hard time and that in itself is something!

Archived