Excursion times not on website - could do 2 in a day?

worldtraveller99

If we are in port eg from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, do all the excursions leave at the same time in the morning, or are some in the afternoon, such that you could do 2 x 3 hour excursions in a day? Whilst they list some, or a lot of excursions, none of the cruise lines I am considering ever say what time they start. Can you tell me any lines you know which run more than 1 of the same excursion in a day please?

No, they definitely don't all depart at the same times. From my experience, HAL, for example will list the departure times to chose from when you book them.

Whether or not they will be spaced enough for two in a day is another subject. And if the two you want will be spaced appropriately. It has definitely been reported, as people ask about how much time to assure between excursions (some cruise lines have a policy of 45 minutes, minimum).

I still have my 2018 excursion listing with tour times for our Holland American Nieuw Amsterdam (Vancouver to Vancouver) itinerary. If you are interested in this particular cruise I can give you some examples (as they could change for future sailings) so you can get an idea on timing.

I would love to see your HAL excursion listing Italy52 thank you?

So I understand then, that though the cruise lines websites just list the excursions (that I can see), if I were to try and book one (once we book the cruise - not there yet, it's for 2020) I would then see the time the excursion starts? Is that for all lines?

So I understand then, that though the cruise lines websites just list the excursions (that I can see), if I were to try and book one (once we book the cruise - not there yet, it's for 2020) I would then see the time the excursion starts? Is that for all lines?

With Princess you see the start and end times when you check out the excursion details in your Cruise Personalizer (after you have reserved your cabin). There is also a warning that Princess excursions should have a minimum of 30 minutes between them.

I would love to see your HAL excursion listing Italy52 thank you?

I don't have scanning capabilities for the excursion listing. However, if you tell me what your interests are, I can look at the listing and tell you the times they were offered. Also, when asking about the excursion, make sure to tell me what port you are considering.

I have done 2 lines in Alaska and they both allowed it.

For example - in Skagway you can do the train in the morning and another tour in the afternoon (dog sledding, helicopter glacier landing).

Ketchikan - many people will do a flight to Misty Fjords and they they can do lumberjack show, a totem pole village, deadliest catch, etc...

Juneau - many times you can do whale watching and then later do helicopter landing on glacier or tour to Mendenhall Glacier. You can do Mount Roberts tram whenever.

Many lines have combination tours (Mendenhall tour and whale watching together) or "Best of Tour".

It is very common to do 2 tours in the same day. There are definitely some tours that take up the whole day but most are half day tours and can allow 2 tours in a day. Just try to pick an itinerary with a lot of time in port. For example - the 2-10 pm time in Juneau is poor as most can only get one excursion in during that time. Lastly, most one way tours have more time in port that allows 2 tours per day. Many roundtrip cruises out of Seattle are going to have more limitations.

Thank you all very much. I think I will wait until I have chosen our cruise - still waiting for the 2020 dates to come out........... Then I guess I will see our Excursion list and hopefully the times will be on that. Also great suggestion mapleleaves, I will look up eg Harv & Marv, and see if they give their times on their websites.

Thank you all very much. I think I will wait until I have chosen our cruise - still waiting for the 2020 dates to come out........... Then I guess I will see our Excursion list and hopefully the times will be on that. Also great suggestion mapleleaves, I will look up eg Harv & Marv, and see if they give their times on their websites.

Most cruise lines you will not see the excursion list until a pre-determined time in advance. It used to be excursions weren't available until you boarded. Then, available on the internet about 6 months prior, now frequently 6-10 months out. For a cruise in 2020 you haven't booked yet?...you are a wee bit ahead of schedule...

You could also choose independent vendors. Many popular and reliable vendors are posted in Trip Reports. Look at the vendor web sites to get the times of each excursion to see if you have time for 2.
+++ on what mapleleaves says. You will have to make a call to the vendors to get times as a rule. I've found them most very helpful even though most are not booking for next year until end of September and some say call back in January. Some of the vendors really like you to book through your cruise line. Allen Marine is one but their sister tour company True Alaskan Tours does independent tours.