Possible?

frank808

Hi there. I am going on cruise with family on ovation out of Seattle on July 5th. It is a round trip with last stop in Victoria before returning to Seattle. I have a cruise on radiance that leaves vancouver on July 12th.

Here lies my question. Instead of returning to Seattle, we were thinking of leaving Ovation in Victoria BC. Then catching a flight or ferry to Vancouver and stay overnight and boarding Radiance the next morning. In my experience this would be better than fighting the madhouse in port of Seattle, then rushing to ferry service to travel to Vancouver for our northbound Radiance cruise.

Any one have experience doing this? If not possible to debark in Victoria, will we be able to get to Vancouver and board Radiance in time from port of Seattle? Any other helpful suggestions? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This is a West Coast Departures board issue, as that is where Vancouver and Seattle are covered. But a little reading over there would reveal you can make the Seattle-Vancouver run, but you need to hit the scheduled transport solidly.

As far as disembarking in Victoria, it would probably work, but you must get approval from RCI, in writing in advance, and take that on board with you. There won't be any decrease in your fare or refund.

MANY people disembark in Victoria on the RT Seattle cruises. Most want to enjoy Butchart Gardens so they disembark, stay overnight, spend a day or 2 in Victoria then take the Victoria Clipper into Seattle. Others take the bus/ferry back to Vancouver (pacific coach lines). Or fly Victoria harbor to Vanc harbor .... Harbour Air is one option, there may be others.

Be sure to let the ship know you're disembarking !!

This is a West Coast Departures board issue, as that is where Vancouver and Seattle are covered. But a little reading over there would reveal you can make the Seattle-Vancouver run, but you need to hit the scheduled transport solidly.

As far as disembarking in Victoria, it would probably work, but you must get approval from RCI, in writing in advance, and take that on board with you. There won't be any decrease in your fare or refund.

Scheduling would be fine. I am just wondering if i am i violation of Jones act for a us citizen. Thanks

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Scheduling would be fine. I am just wondering if i am i violation of Jones act for a us citizen. Thanks

No, because you are getting on another ship. Is the second cruise roundtrip out of Vancouver ? How could it violate the Act? You aren't being transported between different US ports without an intervening distant foreign port.

I don’t know, because Victoria might not be a “distant” foreign port and you would be starting in Seattle and ending in Anchorage. I’d talk to RC, and get whatever they say in writing.

However, I’m on the Ovation with you. Are you as excited as we are? We did the Radiance Southbound this year and liked it so much we decided to do the Ovation next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm... didn't catch that your next cruise ends in Anchorage (or, probably Seward)....changing ships has always been a mitigating factor in these situations. And getting off early also helps. I don't think this would violate the PVSA (not the Jones Act), but I am not an attorney, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Asking RCI is a great idea...but be aware they aren't lawyers either...it might get very confusing.

Even if it was the same ship, breaking the trip by overnighting on land is good enough. The fact it's not just a different ship, but one of them leaves from a (non-US) different port makes both legs 100% legal to combine even without a Victoria early disembarkation! As long as RCI clear your exit in Victoria (CBSA want to see you if you are actually entering Canada to stay instead of just popping off the ship for a few hours!) it is more flexible in timing and route options to get off there than to do Seattle-Vancouver on your Disembark one ship/embark the next on the same day - but if that ends up being what you want to do, booking QuickShuttle for a pier to pier transfer would definitely be the simplest thing to do (current pricing US$59pp one way, might be a little pricier next year).

Short of renting a car or flying (there are now floatplanes running with Kenmore Air, no more need to go to Seatac, but they are NOT cheap), bus is your only Sea-Van option (QS likely will have at least 2 departures that could get you to Vancouver in time, likely one each of Bolt and Greyhound would also work but you have to cab to downtown Seattle and then from Vancouver bus station to the pier). Train times don't work, and there's no ferry between Seattle and Vancouver (even if the Clipper does expand into the downtown Victoria-Vancouver route which V2V have already reopened, they won't run a ship direct from Seattle to Vancouver - they planned to add another vessel on the Vic-Van route so you'd need to connect in Victoria and the odds of that timing working out are slim to none!)

Even if it was the same ship, breaking the trip by overnighting on land is good enough. The fact it's not just a different ship, but one of them leaves from a (non-US) different port makes both legs 100% legal to combine even without a Victoria early disembarkation! As long as RCI clear your exit in Victoria (CBSA want to see you if you are actually entering Canada to stay instead of just popping off the ship for a few hours!) it is more flexible in timing and route options to get off there than to do Seattle-Vancouver on your Disembark one ship/embark the next on the same day - but if that ends up being what you want to do, booking QuickShuttle for a pier to pier transfer would definitely be the simplest thing to do (current pricing US$59pp one way, might be a little pricier next year).

Short of renting a car or flying (there are now floatplanes running with Kenmore Air, no more need to go to Seatac, but they are NOT cheap), bus is your only Sea-Van option (QS likely will have at least 2 departures that could get you to Vancouver in time, likely one each of Bolt and Greyhound would also work but you have to cab to downtown Seattle and then from Vancouver bus station to the pier). Train times don't work, and there's no ferry between Seattle and Vancouver (even if the Clipper does expand into the downtown Victoria-Vancouver route which V2V have already reopened, they won't run a ship direct from Seattle to Vancouver - they planned to add another vessel on the Vic-Van route so you'd need to connect in Victoria and the odds of that timing working out are slim to none!)

Thanks for the information and ideas!

Looked up QS and they have a pick up at pier 91 in seattle at 1030 that arrives at Canada Place at 1500. Radiance is scheduled to leave at 1630. Seems a little to close for me if there are breakdowns, accidents or something else that would make us miss the 1630 cruise departure in Vancouver.

We will most likely disembark in Victoria. Take a tour of the sights until about 1400 then take a ferry from Victoria to Vancouver ferry terminal. Then take a cab from ferry terminal to hotel around canada place and stay there for the night. The next morning go visit some close sights in Vancouver and then board Radiance for the northbound alaska cruise about 1300.

How does this plan sound? Any other cheaper options to get from Vancouver ferry terminal to Canada Place?

Thanks again.

We were in port at Victoria this summer, loved it! Be aware that sometimes—though rarely—a ship is unable to dock, as was the case on July 1 with the Zaandam. The wind was too much of a factor. There was a thread about it on the HAL board. Wanted to pass that along. . . .

Thanks for the information and ideas!

Looked up QS and they have a pick up at pier 91 in seattle at 1030 that arrives at Canada Place at 1500. Radiance is scheduled to leave at 1630. Seems a little to close for me if there are breakdowns, accidents or something else that would make us miss the 1630 cruise departure in Vancouver.

We will most likely disembark in Victoria. Take a tour of the sights until about 1400 then take a ferry from Victoria to Vancouver ferry terminal. Then take a cab from ferry terminal to hotel around canada place and stay there for the night. The next morning go visit some close sights in Vancouver and then board Radiance for the northbound alaska cruise about 1300.

How does this plan sound? Any other cheaper options to get from Vancouver ferry terminal to Canada Place?

Thanks again.

Yup, that QS departure is very tight - too tight actually if your ship leaves at 4:30pm (you must be at the peir by 90mins pre-departure). I think I'm going from the Vancouver side, where the pier-to-pier express service leaves at 9am - I had assumed there was an equivalent time on the other end, but it must just be airport-pier ones... having double-checked the northbound sched, I'd suggest your Plan B should be to take a cab to downtown Seattle for the 8:40am QS, with the 10am Bolt bus as Plan C (arrives 2pm, just enough time to get to the pier), and if you should be unlucky enough to miss Victoria get onto the internet ASAP to get a bus booked from onboard the ship.

NB: when you talk about the 'Vancouver ferry terminal' be aware that there is no such thing - all BC Ferries services run to either Tsawwassen or Horseshoe Bay, both of which are far away from downtown Vancouver (cab fares could even exceed a hundred bucks if you hit rush-hour traffic) and the Victoria terminal is also non-existent - you go from Swartz Bay, which is a half-hour-plus drive away near the airport. The V2V 'luxury' catamaran does run downtown to downtown, but is very much ka-ching-priced as well as having only a single daily departure - which does work, if on time, for getting to a cruise as it starts the day in Victoria but you would have to overnight in Vic, then risk traveling on the day you cruise. Plus, flying is actually cheaper than this boat service if you book your tickets with care!

You would find it much more affordable to do the mentioned-above BCFConnector bus - which takes you from downtown to the ferry, then to the other downtown after the crossing. This works out at about $65pp - and you can take big suitcases, which with floatplanes can be a problem (they will get your suitcase to you, but if timing is tight and it comes on a later flight with space luggage capacity it could be too late!) BCFC will also drop you downtown at hotels, including the Pan Pacific which is right above the pier, but do not book this ticket - the add-on cost per person is as much as taking a cab from Pacific Central station to the pier (should be <$15 total) so stick to the regular Bus Station terminus.

Public Transit is actually almost as fast as the Connector coach - the #70 bus on the Island is timed to meet ferries and no transfers are required to get to and from downtown Victoria. $2.50pp for the island bus, <$20pp as a foot passenger on the ferry, then another few bucks in Vancouver (you need to take a bus to connect with SkyTrain, then that to downtown - depending how you pay the total fee can be anything from <$3pp to over $7pp). The downside on this is the lack of luggage space on transit buses - technically anything that you can't sit on your lap can get you kicked off the bus. Given that the routes on the island and mainland are both primarily for connecting to ferries, I would expect the drivers to use their discretion and allow a suitcase per person no problem, and since you said you were traveling light it's a viable option for you. Just be sure to have credit cards with Chips or local cash to be able to pay for transit tickets!

Yup, that QS departure is very tight - too tight actually if your ship leaves at 4:30pm (you must be at the peir by 90mins pre-departure). I think I'm going from the Vancouver side, where the pier-to-pier express service leaves at 9am - I had assumed there was an equivalent time on the other end, but it must just be airport-pier ones... having double-checked the northbound sched, I'd suggest your Plan B should be to take a cab to downtown Seattle for the 8:40am QS, with the 10am Bolt bus as Plan C (arrives 2pm, just enough time to get to the pier), and if you should be unlucky enough to miss Victoria get onto the internet ASAP to get a bus booked from onboard the ship.

NB: when you talk about the 'Vancouver ferry terminal' be aware that there is no such thing - all BC Ferries services run to either Tsawwassen or Horseshoe Bay, both of which are far away from downtown Vancouver (cab fares could even exceed a hundred bucks if you hit rush-hour traffic) and the Victoria terminal is also non-existent - you go from Swartz Bay, which is a half-hour-plus drive away near the airport. The V2V 'luxury' catamaran does run downtown to downtown, but is very much ka-ching-priced as well as having only a single daily departure - which does work, if on time, for getting to a cruise as it starts the day in Victoria but you would have to overnight in Vic, then risk traveling on the day you cruise. Plus, flying is actually cheaper than this boat service if you book your tickets with care!

You would find it much more affordable to do the mentioned-above BCFConnector bus - which takes you from downtown to the ferry, then to the other downtown after the crossing. This works out at about $65pp - and you can take big suitcases, which with floatplanes can be a problem (they will get your suitcase to you, but if timing is tight and it comes on a later flight with space luggage capacity it could be too late!) BCFC will also drop you downtown at hotels, including the Pan Pacific which is right above the pier, but do not book this ticket - the add-on cost per person is as much as taking a cab from Pacific Central station to the pier (should be <$15 total) so stick to the regular Bus Station terminus.

Public Transit is actually almost as fast as the Connector coach - the #70 bus on the Island is timed to meet ferries and no transfers are required to get to and from downtown Victoria. $2.50pp for the island bus, <$20pp as a foot passenger on the ferry, then another few bucks in Vancouver (you need to take a bus to connect with SkyTrain, then that to downtown - depending how you pay the total fee can be anything from <$3pp to over $7pp). The downside on this is the lack of luggage space on transit buses - technically anything that you can't sit on your lap can get you kicked off the bus. Given that the routes on the island and mainland are both primarily for connecting to ferries, I would expect the drivers to use their discretion and allow a suitcase per person no problem, and since you said you were traveling light it's a viable option for you. Just be sure to have credit cards with Chips or local cash to be able to pay for transit tickets!

Thanks for your help Martincath!

I was thinking of taking a cab from downtown Victoria to Swartz bay ($75 cab ride) and then another cab from horseshoe bay to the pan pacific hotel ($85 cab ride). This $170 cab price comes in just a little more than the 3 of us using bcfconnector ($130) and gets us "door to door". I take it with bcfconnector I would have to get a cab from downtown vancouver to pan pacific hotel for $15? Makes using bcfconnector about $25 cheaper than cab route. Is there any other advantage to using bcfconnector than my cab plan?

If we do not dock in Victoria I will use plan "b". Get a cab early in the morning disembarkation from Seattle port. Will take the quick shuttle from Downton Seattle at 0840 that arrives at Canada place at 1235. Good back up plan?

Thanks again for your help it is much appreciated. Have done Caribbean too many times and this is only our 3rd cruise around Alaska and have never cruised out of vancouver before.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for your help Martincath!

I was thinking of taking a cab from downtown Victoria to Swartz bay ($75 cab ride) and then another cab from horseshoe bay to the pan pacific hotel ($85 cab ride). This $170 cab price comes in just a little more than the 3 of us using bcfconnector ($130) and gets us "door to door". I take it with bcfconnector I would have to get a cab from downtown vancouver to pan pacific hotel for $15? Makes using bcfconnector about $25 cheaper than cab route. Is there any other advantage to using bcfconnector than my cab plan?

If we do not dock in Victoria I will use plan "b". Get a cab early in the morning disembarkation from Seattle port. Will take the quick shuttle from Downton Seattle at 0840 that arrives at Canada place at 1235. Good back up plan?

Thanks again for your help it is much appreciated. Have done Caribbean too many times and this is only our 3rd cruise around Alaska and have never cruised out of vancouver before.

If you're a threesome that certainly does make cabbing better value - but don't forget you also have to pay for the ferry on top of the cab fare and that's always priced per-person! NB: that unless 2 of your group are kids, BCFConnector is ~$210 total not $130 (regular adult fares downtown to downtown are ~$65pp + tax, only LOCAL seniors get discounts) so potentially cabbing could actually save money for your group, but traffic could also bump the cab fare up to a higher total.

I double-checked BCFC just in case anything had changed - looks like there is a downtown stop at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver now for no extra charge compared to the bus depot, but this is still a few blocks from the pier. The stop at the pier is now the Fairmont Waterfront (opposite side of the street from the PP, so literally cross the street on foot and you're there) and is still being charged ~$10pp extra - so yes, budget for a cab from the bus station (~$12 on not-a-cruise-morning) or FHV (~$5) on top of the base bus fare. Assuming all three are adults, this is a total of ~$220 ($210 for bus plus $5-15 for cab).

NB: that the ferries from Swartz Bay go to Tsawwassen. Sorry, it was pointless to mention Horseshoe Bay in my last post in relation to Victoria travel, HB is mostly traffic to and from Nanaimo - a MUCH longer cab ride!!! Your $80ish for the mainland cab ride isn't far off the mark though as Tsawwassen in 'normal' traffic runs about $75 (Horseshoe to Pan Pacific is on paper more like $50 - but in both cases the bottleneck of a bridge or tunnel reduced to a single lane inbound in the afternoon can make fares jump up a lot. I'd actually assume $100 and hope to be pleasantly surprised). 3 ferry fares plus the two cab rides should work out about $20 less than BCFC if you don't hit traffic, about the same as BCFC if you do get caught up.

Would you consider driving yourself in a rental car though? Even paying for that on the ferry (~$60) on top of a one-day rental could save you a chunk of change compared to cabbing, with no concern about traffic driving up the price (you can find rates of $50 or less for one-ways from downtown Victoria to Vancouver). Plus it opens the potential of driving to Nanaimo and taking the Horseshoe Bay route - which lets you drive a little of the delightful Sea to Sky Highway on the mainland as well as seeing more of the Island than just Victoria and the road to the ferry (adding on just a short trip up to Squamish, ~80mins RT from Horseshoe Bay - takes you past some truly gorgeous sea-and-mountains scenery, a large waterfall, and a gondola ride up a mountain if you're so inclined).

So if maximum flexibility is what you're after, rent a car - if you just want to get A to B simply, I'd still take BCFC bus over cabs because of the fixed pricing. Plan B's only real risk is a sold-out bus - the odds of both the first QS and Bolt being totally sold out should be slim, and worst-case you may need to pay a hefty sum for a last-minute one-way car rental (but you might also get lucky - if there's a car that needs taken back to Vancouver your rate could be very, very low).