Emerald Drink Package

Los_Pepes

I posted a similar question a few years ago and did not get much of a response. This is probably because Emerald was rather new and had not had many board members sail on it yet.

Does anyone know what the All Inclusive drink packages cost on Emerald? Also, any idea of the quality of booze and/or have a menu they can publish on the thread? We are Uniworld die hards but pulled the trigger on an Emerald Portugal cruise in 2019.

Thanks in advance.

Last fall they had two packages. One they called the extended package which included the free beer, wine and soft drinks that were free with lunch and dinner. That was 10 euro per day. The other included any drink and that was 20 euro per day. I had the extended package so I can't comment on the full package.

Hey Los_Pepes, David from Emerald Waterways here. Thank you for choosing to cruise the Douro with us. May I say it is a fantastic river to cruise. The valleys are just stunning and the people so friendly. Our ship docks right in the heart of Porto, hop off and walk straight in to the historical city.

We do indeed have a number of different drinks packages which can be purchased on board. By all means call your local Emerald Waterways office and they will be able to talk you through the difference packages - wine, beer, premium packages are all available to purchase on board. 2019 prices are not finalised yet but we do have 2018 prices.

Thanks once again for cruising with Emerald Waterways.

Don't know on the wine because I'm a beer drinker. The only beer offered on the extended package was the draft beer which was at Bitburger. There were a few other bottle beers but not included on the extended package.

This seems to be the draft [included] beer of choice on river cruises. We had the same on AMA. It's very good -- for a lager. [And you can't expect IPAs in Europe :)]

This seems to be the draft [included] beer of choice on river cruises. We had the same on AMA. It's very good -- for a lager. [And you can't expect IPAs in Europe :)]

It is funny you say that. We were on a Uniworld cruise in December and my palate has become so used to extremely hoppy beers that the draft beer on the ship no longer did it for me. I keep chasing hoppier IPAs and if my nose doesn't krinkle up after my first sip I feel let down. I had to "suffer" drinking their single malts the whole trip.

Perhaps lines marketing towards Americans can source an American style IPA and stick it on board. I know going overseas is about immersing yourself in local culture and food, but I am willing to bet quite a few IPAs would be sold and consumed onboard.

Thanks for the reply Dave. I will see if my TA can get ahold of the information. Booked a Riverview Suite on the Radiance this morning so I am a step ahead of you!

Thanks again for the reply.

Oh I'm so pleased. The two Riverview Suites have stunning views from two sides of the suite. Perfect for watching the scenery pass as you sail out of Porto.

Hopefully the following link will work to a brand new video we have just created for your ship the Emerald Radiance.

4739820afc6327e449f104e160ec1ad7039d2ec7.jpg?image_play_button_size=2x&image_crop_resized=960x540&image_play_button=1&image_play_button_color=59878ce0

Oh I'm so pleased. The two Riverview Suites have stunning views from two sides of the suite. Perfect for watching the scenery pass as you sail out of Porto.

Hopefully the following link will work to a brand new video we have just created for your ship the Emerald Radiance.

4739820afc6327e449f104e160ec1ad7039d2ec7.jpg?image_play_button_size=2x&image_crop_resized=960x540&image_play_button=1&image_play_button_color=59878ce0

Very cool! I will show this to my wife and she will be quite pleased. I will tell you that we only found out about Emerald and your Riverview Suites by watching Ralph Grizzle's videos and then reading his materiel. My wife is a Uniworld die hard and she would not even consider another line until I showed her Ralph's videos. She looked at me and said "I can deal with that suite. Book it."

I think the UK is still considered part of Europe and I believe our IPA’s are some of the best around. Although I must admit it would seem that the river cruise companies do tend toward the lighter German and Belgium brews. CA

I would agree that the UK makes excellent IPAs as you guys invented them! However there is a craft beer revolution occurring in the States and the IPA market has become a race to who has the hoppiest beer. Once you get accustomed to certain levels of hoppiness, other beers start tasting like water. Not an indictment of quality, simply a corruption of taste buds.

They had a Samuel Smith India Ale in bottles. on the Uniworld ship this past December. It was an excellent beer but I craved more bitterness.

Edited by Los_Pepes

• 5 months later...
Last year it was about 10 euro for the package that included only what was free at lunch and dinner. About 20 euro for the full package.

Thanks. Have been reading some reviews on our cruise ( Douro) and there’s differing answers to this. But the ballpark figure is great. Thanks.

One traveller said the Portuguese wine was foul but no one else was negative.. fingers crossed.

But I will enjoy my cruise, no matter what ... :)

• 1 month later...

Do both people in one cabin have to be on the same drink package? When I was on Viking they were rather insistent that we both had to be on the same package and my companion did not drink. After a bit of arm twisting they decided they would let me buy it alone.

Do both people in one cabin have to be on the same drink package? When I was on Viking they were rather insistent that we both had to be on the same package and my companion did not drink. After a bit of arm twisting they decided they would let me buy it alone.

Unless it's changed since last year, they do not. I had a package, my wife did not.

• 3 weeks later...