First time Viking River Cruise Questions

Cruiseoholic000

Would some please comment on tipping on the cruises they have been on. I have read the suggestions Viking has given but would like input from those who have cruised.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'll pay whatever Viking puts on my tab and then if there is anybody who has been particularly helpful over the course of the cruise, we tip them personally in the shipboard currency. We also tip guides and bus drivers in the local currency at the end of each tour, unless the guide is also part of the ships crew. In Ukraine, where the buses followed us from port to port and we were on the same bus each day, we tipped the driver at the end of the cruise.

Going on first Viking River cruise October, Very excited. Quick question- laundry facilities?

Thx!

There is no self-serve laundry but there is a laundry service. Price list can be downloaded from the Viking website. Prices seem OK (polo shirt = 3.5 euro, pants about 5 euro, etc).

When we cruise next year we may have a couple things laundered before our post-cruise extension--should cut down on packing slightly.

Going on first Viking River cruise October, Very excited. Quick question- laundry facilities?

Thx!

Using the laundry service is part of our packing plan. It is reasonably priced and convenient and using it means we can pack 5 days worth of clothing for a two week trip (and not have to spend our vacation doing laundry).

I know, it is an old family joke. It comes from "baie qu'appelle" which mean " how is this berry called' or 'what is this berry called'? So if you say Baie qu'appelle (bay-ka-pelle) you get bake apple!!

Safe and happy cruising.

I have to chime in on this one. Charming as the story may be, “bakeapple”, known elsewhere in English as the cloudberry, is not derived from “baie qu’appelle” (which literally means “berry that calls”). It is most likely derived from the Inuktitut word “appik”. BTW the French had no need to ask what the berry is called as there are two words, “plaquebière” and, especially in Québec, “chicoutai”. Whatever the origin, it does make delicious jam!

Sent from my iPad using Forums