Wintergarden Tea

Twitchly

Wintergarden is one of the most beautiful areas on the ship.

Afternoon tea is wonderful in this space, and the adjacent alcoves.

Yes it is crowded when it starts. But I always found a seat if I went a little later during tea time.

I love the service where they bring you the tea menu, select the tea, you can talk to others while you wait for tea pot, plate, cup , holding cup for tea basket. Then they bring you scones served by waiter, next a tiered tray full of open faced sandwiches, desserts. I would hate a buffet.

Low tables for tea reminded of having afternoon tea in Dublin Ireland in our hotel lobby, very civilized and unhurried .

I had six sea days in a row and went to tea at least three of those days.

Yes it is crowded when it starts. But I always found a seat if I went a little later during tea time.

I love the service where they bring you the tea menu, select the tea, you can talk to others while you wait for tea pot, plate, cup , holding cup for tea basket. Then they bring you scones served by waiter, next a tiered tray full of open faced sandwiches, desserts.

I would hate a buffet.

Totally agree. It just wouldn't be Afternoon Tea, if it was buffet style.

Totally agree. It just wouldn't be Afternoon Tea, if it was buffet style.

We really enjoyed afternoon tea on Oceania (Marina). Served in the horizons lounge, with music, I think it was a string quartet, nice gentle unobtrusive but very enjoyable music.

Not sure that it could really be called buffet style. A tea waiter with the choice of tea, food trolleys (cakes) doing the rounds and a table set in front of thendance floor where more food was served if you wanted to wander over.

On a sea day it’s something to look forward to, reading this thread I’m hoping getting a seat for Viking’s tea isn’t going to be a hassle.

Edited by Thatname
Typo

I love the service where they bring you the tea menu, select the tea, you can talk to others while you wait for tea pot, plate, cup , holding cup for tea basket. Then they bring you scones served by waiter, next a tiered tray full of open faced sandwiches, desserts. I would hate a buffet.

Totally agree. On the Midnight Sun in June, we also enjoyed the afternoon tea a number of times. It was never overly crowded and we were able to relax over our individually chosen teas and tier of treats. The service was wonderful and we too would hate to see them switch to a buffet. Maybe it depends on your itinerary and the day. We did not try to go on one of the first days of the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a bit of a rush but it always seemed to me to have space - we were a bit disappointed by tea the one time we went - if we needed an afternoon snack we went to the explorers lounge where tea would be served from the bar and some lovely cakes and pastries are offered at Mamsen’s ; that could be crowded too on sea days!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We won't be doing afternoon tea every day - but we would like to try it out on Viking Ocean. I wonder if VO might try the Celebrity idea and deliver it direct to the suites for people with Junior Penthouse size and above? It was great on Celebrity, and it didn't mean we were being anti-social, just a bit tired after a really busy tour.

It sounds lovely, and we are looking forward to it, just so long as I can have a cup of hot water and a tea-bag separate I'll be content.

We won't be doing afternoon tea every day - but we would like to try it out on Viking Ocean. I wonder if VO might try the Celebrity idea and deliver it direct to the suites for people with Junior Penthouse size and above? It was great on Celebrity, and it didn't mean we were being anti-social, just a bit tired after a really busy tour.

It sounds lovely, and we are looking forward to it, just so long as I can have a cup of hot water and a tea-bag separate I'll be content.

Room service will deliver most anything you want.

This may sound like a silly question, but are there any other beverages available besides tea (coffee, water)?

My husband drinks tea and we both enjoy the sandwiches, scones, and other treats, but I do not drink tea at all. I would be quite happy with water.

This may sound like a silly question, but are there any other beverages available besides tea (coffee, water)?

My husband drinks tea and we both enjoy the sandwiches, scones, and other treats, but I do not drink tea at all. I would be quite happy with water.

I know they will serve coffee; just ask. I bet there are other beverage choice, too.

In the colder months, I sometimes try hot chocolate (but then I go easy on the edibles), or hot blackcurrant cordial (eg Ribena), and sometimes also if it's possible (and then only going for savoury items) nice hot Bovril (not too strong, mind you).

After the unpleasant experience last time I did afternoon tea on a ship (but it wasn't Viking), I'm hoping for a more pleasant experience on our next cruise. Having said that, I'm not one of those people who has to do afternoon tea every day - life's too short!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2018 at 8:44 AM, Mrs Miggins said:

We enjoyed the afternoon tea, which included finger sandwiches, little cakes and scones. I don't think they have quite got the 'tea' element quite right, speaking as someone from the U.K. They seemed to have run out of English Breakfast Tea on our New Year cruise so we were served one of the many many alternative options. However when I queried it they did send several people to find the 'right' tea. They also had to find English Breakfast for me in the Buffet, but they were sweet about it, and couldn't have been more helpful. However since more and more people from the UK are now onboard I hope they keep the stocks high.

I am probably being pedantic now but the included cream is not 'clotted'.

I thought a Scottish couple we met onboard were just being overly critical when they noted that they loved Viking’s tea except for the so called Clotted Cream.  Cut to six months later and the four of us are having tea at the Willows tearoom in Glasgow (designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh) and low and behold we had “proper” clotted cream. Boy were our new Scottish friends right.  OMG so much better than whatever it is the Viking serves. However, Viking’s scones were better!😄

0D1CFF95-075A-41A5-A670-3BA39E614910.jpeg

• Like 2