Canada Post near Canada Place

SadieN

I’m wanting to send a small package to our DD studying in Toronto from our Vancouver port stop.

Any idea where the closest Canada Post is? Or should we send it UPS, FedEx etc?

Thanks!

I’m mailing a few letters in Canada also. I looked up the offices closest to Canada Place. There are two. 1209 Robson St., and one at 349 W. Georgia St.. The Robson St. one is southwest of Canada Place and the Georgia St. one is south of Gastown . Both look like a long walk. Hope this helps you.

They could be closed on a Sunday if that is the day you are here or open later. Maybe UPS or some other way? Will require some research. They may not be close by the pier though.

London Drug Stores have postal outlets in them and that maybe the best place.

There is one across the street from the Bay Dept store on Granville St. Main shopping area up from the ship on Granville St. You can take the train from Waterfront to Van. City Center and it is across the street if walking is a problem. I see there is one in Gastown too, not far from the ship. Depends on the day and if they are open etc.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/home.page

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/fpo/personal/findPostOffice

From your other posts Sadie it looks like you're on the Splendor 14 day late August, calling in Vancouver on Tuesday Aug 28th?

You shouldn't have a problem with opening hours of CanadaPost Offices or UPS/FedEx, and there are all three scattered around downtown. Personally I'd measure/weigh what you want to mail and see how much it will cost with each provider using their websites - if it's an envelope rather than a box Canada Post will probably be the cheapest, but for larger packages it does vary who gives the best deal.

CVU already gave you the best link to all CanadaPost locations - most of which are inside other businesses downtown these days; UPS and FedEx have similar 'find a location' on the .ca versions of their sites, and also operate various pickup/dropoff locations outside their own offices (but check carefully that any given spot does accept payments, some of them are just for pickups, or for dropoffs with pre-paid and pre-printed labels only).

The OP has had some good replies already for mailing their parcel.

Just an FYI for those only mailing letters, some cruise line will do this for you if deposited with Reception the day before docking. Check with them once on board and it might save you a trip

OP, I assume you will be getting off the ship and exploring our beautiful city anyway, so in addition to the excellent advice already given, please note than some Shoppers Drugs Mart stores have Canada Post outlets, with moderate hours. You can look up online the ones that do; I was there and already doing so, but I figured I would just give you the information should you choose to go that route. :)

I have always found for parcels that Canada Post is cheaper than UPS, FedEx or Purolator. Purolator is the domestic competitor to FedEx and has a strong presence in Canada.

Almost all Canada Post outlets these days are counters inside other business. Usually they are located on the back wall in a Drugstore.

Rexall Drugstore at 399 Granville St is fairly close. This one will have extended hours 7 days a week and open until late at night.

There is also one in the Bental Center (an underground retail complex that connect about 5-6 high rise office towers). That is going to be closer to a 9-5 M-F operation. That one may be a bit closer but involves navigating a maze of underground retail stores. The drug store on Granvil;e is probably easier to find.

Thanks everyone! Even if CanadaPost is the more expensive option, it’s cheaper than international shipping from California.

Yes, we are on the Splendor.

DD is moving to Toronto for school and I won’t have her afghan ready by when she leaves.

We’ve enjoyed Vancouver several times in the past. This time we have a shopping list for things we can only get by mail order in the States (tea and candy)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last question and it’s a really, really stupid one!

I’m assuming the drug stores that have CanadaPost will sell boxes?

When I mailed some collected cruise material from Vancouver that I did not want to pack in my luggage, my Canada Post location did have boxes in which to place the stuff. I remember that the Canada Post location was in a store that was part of the underground system connecting Canada Place with hotels, restaurants, etc.

Last question and it’s a really, really stupid one!

I’m assuming the drug stores that have CanadaPost will sell boxes?

Every one of the them I've seen, even really small ones, has a selection of envelopes and boxes available to buy (and tolls of tape/string for free use). The 'roach is right that pricing is not the best though - dollar stores will also sell you plain & padded envelopes, but if it's just one thing you need to mail the hassle of going somewhere else probably isn't worth the small upcharge to just buy a box or envelope in the post office.

Thanks for the additional info. Even if we paid double for a box I’m sure it’ll be cheaper than sending it from California.

It could be quicker than US not having Customs to go through to get there. Our postal is not cheap though.

• 1 month later...