Will this impact Azamara?

Riocca

I think the dress code on SS is exaggerated by many who have “heard” but not experienced a cruise. I dont think its that big of a deal. Its not like you have to where a suit every night. On your basic 7 or 8 night cruise, you have one formal night...I wear a suit, while you see tuxedos, they’re in the minority not the majority. The rest of the nights are split pretty evenly between informal and smart casual. Informal is just a jacket , no tie. I wear my jacket from my suit night on an informal night and throw in another jacket for another night. You can wear a polo and slacks/khakis whatever on the cashual nights. I also have a fun velvet jacket I wear on informal nights. It’s not nearly so dressy as others say. I dont bring anything much different on an Azamara or Celebrity cruise than I do on a Silversea. If you’re avoiding Silversea because you dont want to put on a tie, you;re really missing out on a nice cruise line and a tie doesnt take up much room in a suitcase. Trust me folks , its not a big deal. Besides, you can make a couple extra reservations (no extra charge( at the Grill at night which is casual every night. Some people eat there every night...which is silly, but to each his own.

I think the dress code on SS is exaggerated by many who have “heard” but not experienced a cruise. I dont think its that big of a deal. Its not like you have to where a suit every night. On your basic 7 or 8 night cruise, you have one formal night...I wear a suit, while you see tuxedos, they’re in the minority not the majority. The rest of the nights are split pretty evenly between informal and smart casual. Informal is just a jacket , no tie. I wear my jacket from my suit night on an informal night and throw in another jacket for another night. You can wear a polo and slacks/khakis whatever on the cashual nights. I also have a fun velvet jacket I wear on informal nights. It’s not nearly so dressy as others say. I dont bring anything much different on an Azamara or Celebrity cruise than I do on a Silversea. If you’re avoiding Silversea because you dont want to put on a tie, you;re really missing out on a nice cruise line and a tie doesnt take up much room in a suitcase. Trust me folks , its not a big deal. Besides, you can make a couple extra reservations (no extra charge( at the Grill at night which is casual every night. Some people eat there every night...which is silly, but to each his own.

So I would have to pack both a suit and a sport coat [unless I want to be totally déclassé and wear the suit jacket on all non-casual nights :eek:]. And of course that means DW also has to pack appropriate outfits for those levels of dressiness. Nope. Not gonna happen.

Here's another thought about the corporate combination: I can't imagine that RCL will force their Miami-based provisioning on Silversea [Royal Club Tonic, I'm lookin' at you :mad:] And they are bringing parts of Celebrity up to a new level [all-suite Flora, and the Suites/Reserve area on Edge class and possibly on all ships after the Revolution updates]. So I'm hoping this will loosen the apron strings on Azamara, as the top management realizes that one size doesn't fit all. Silversea should keep its dress code, and its Italian cuisine and flair – and Azamara should remain informal and destination-focused [just with better tonic...]

Being told to take a suit on vacation is really stupid. Sorry, it IS a big deal because it's completely unnecessary. Pretentious, however, to the max.

Stupid and Pretentious...I think thats a bit harsh. Listen, it’s not for everyone and that’s fine. Fortunately there’s a lot of choices out there to suit everyone’s style of cruising. My point I was trying to make is that Silversea isn’t as hardcore formal as many would like to assume. The people who were complaining about the dress code have never been on SS, so I was simply trying to provide some insight. Calling people stupid and pretentious for choosing that type of cruise , certainly isn’t in the spirit of the supposed friendly and informational threads/forums.

So I would have to pack both a suit and a sport coat [unless I want to be totally déclassé and wear the suit jacket on all non-casual nights :eek:]. And of course that means DW also has to pack appropriate outfits for those levels of dressiness. Nope. Not gonna happen.

Again..not for everyone. But sometimes maybe you shouldn’t knock it til you have tried it...My post was simply to correct a few posts I saw about the level of formality that folks thought was on Silversea. I thought perhaps a reply from someone who actually has cruised on Silversea might be helpful to those who were on the fence, rather than posts from people who have never been on SS and are speculating.

Stupid and Pretentious...I think thats a bit harsh. Listen, it’s not for everyone and that’s fine. Fortunately there’s a lot of choices out there to suit everyone’s style of cruising. My point I was trying to make is that Silversea isn’t as hardcore formal as many would like to assume. The people who were complaining about the dress code have never been on SS, so I was simply trying to provide some insight. Calling people stupid and pretentious for choosing that type of cruise , certainly isn’t in the spirit of the supposed friendly and informational threads/forums.

You didn't read what I wrote ["Being told to take a suit on vacation is stupid."]. I didn't say "people" were stupid or pretentious I said the cruise line is pretentious for requiring something utterly unnecessary in order to make their cruise line appear "upscale." Having that as a requirement in order to go to dinner is "stupid," in my opinion.

Again..not for everyone. But sometimes maybe you shouldn’t knock it til you have tried it...My post was simply to correct a few posts I saw about the level of formality that folks thought was on Silversea. I thought perhaps a reply from someone who actually has cruised on Silversea might be helpful to those who were on the fence, rather than posts from people who have never been on SS and are speculating.

I think a lot of people have tried the formality piece early in their cruising days and are now well and truely over it.

I think a lot of people have tried the formality piece early in their cruising days and are now well and truely over it.

In addition, the change of policy by airlines forced passengers to rethink their luggage requirements. We used to fly via USA which entitled us to two suitcases each. Now that I have discovered the joys of travelling light, I take only one suitcase, even when I'm entitled to two.

...and just as many who haven’t tried but are curious. Folks, this isn’t about being right or wrong, they’ re just different types of cruising. I simply clarified errors made in earlier comments about the level of formality on SS, I wasnt debating which is better or worse....to each his own ...I could care less if you wear a tuxedo or jeans to dinner...not gonna affect my vacation...

Silversea has recently had some issues with health inspections and coverups. Maybe Royal will "right their ship". I was thinking about booking them for Galapagos as their prices are competitive with Celebrity's. We wound up booking with Celebrity. It's a bit of a relief as I couldn't imagine having to bring a jacket on a Galapagos cruise. That's insane. Wish I could have afforded the Flora, but we're very excited about our booking on the Celebrity Xpedition.

Silversea has recently had some issues with health inspections and coverups. Maybe Royal will "right their ship". I was thinking about booking them for Galapagos as their prices are competitive with Celebrity's. We wound up booking with Celebrity. It's a bit of a relief as I couldn't imagine having to bring a jacket on a Galapagos cruise. That's insane. Wish I could have afforded the Flora, but we're very excited about our booking on the Celebrity Xpedition.

Haters gonna hate! But just to correct you, Galapagos is casual...no jacket.

And I’m not going to even engage you on these health allegations...all lines have had issues at one time or another and yes my friend, even RCCL ...so no reason to be nasty about it. I didnt realize this thread was going to be a Silversea bashing but apparently that is what it has turned into...

Celebrity Xpedition is terrific! Flora sounds very nice, but the days on a Galapagoscruise are so intense that we wouldn’t have noticed if our cabin was bigger. Food is going to be different on any cruise or hotel there because of strict govt regulations [e.g. all meat arrives partially cooked, so no rare steaks]. The best part of using Celebrity is the charter flight to/from Quito - no stop in Guayaquil.

Celebrity Xpedition is terrific! Flora sounds very nice, but the days on a Galapagoscruise are so intense that we wouldn’t have noticed if our cabin was bigger. Food is going to be different on any cruise or hotel there because of strict govt regulations [e.g. all meat arrives partially cooked, so no rare steaks]. The best part of using Celebrity is the charter flight to/from Quito - no stop in Guayaquil.

I'm excited about the Expedition. We booked the 10-day, mainly for that flight.

Quite honestly, I don't hate on Silversea, but really enjoy the casual relaxed feeling on Celebrity and that's one of the reasons our next is booked on Azamara and why we won't book Silversea.

Well, I love both Silversea and Azamara...for different reasons. I want them to keep Silversea as it is, with formal nights and everyone dressing to impress. Azamara can stay "smart casual" and then we will all have choices.

There are very few occasions to dress up nowadays and I love it that cruising on Silversea is one of them.

• 1 month later...
Haters gonna hate! But just to correct you, Galapagos is casual...no jacket.

And I’m not going to even engage you on these health allegations...all lines have had issues at one time or another and yes my friend, even RCCL ...so no reason to be nasty about it. I didnt realize this thread was going to be a Silversea bashing but apparently that is what it has turned into...

By the way, I'm not a hater and I appreciate your advice on Silversea for Galapagos. They are running such a great special right now that their pricing is much better than Celebrity and we are switching to SS. Thank you.