Junkanoo Beach ok?

LuCruise

We have a 4 day cruise coming up with our kids (13 and 9 years). First stop is Nassau. Second stop is CoCo Cay.

If our stops were the other way around, then we would stay on the ship for Nassau and do a beach day at CoCo Cay. Only thing is, CoCo Cay is tender so if seas are too rough, then they won't take us to the beach. So with Nassau first, its possible we won't even get off the ship if seas are rough. Our kids would be disappointed if they don't get any beach time at all. (We're from Ontario so we don't get to beaches often).

So we'll decide when we are there, but wondering the conditions of Junkanoo Beach if we decide on the spot to head there for a few hours? Is water rough? Is it rocky or sandy? Good for kids?

P S - I just checked and there are 4 ships in port that day (including ours) so also may be crowded

Edited by LuCruise

I understand your dilemma as I always prefer the tender private islands be first so by the time you get to Nassau, you know whether you have had that beach day. I would highly recommend Junkanoo in Nassau. We have been several times and never been disappointed. The sand is not rocky, the water is crystal clear. There are tiki huts selling drinks and food for cheap. There are people there to rent you a beach chair and umbrella. Take them up on it. Enjoy the laid back atmosphere. Once we went on a big family cruise and most of us went to Melia but my cousin and her family went to Junkanoo and had a lot more fun. We were stuck with $11 drinks and a pretty blah atmosphere while they enjoyed water trampolines, music and and a really good time. Her kids had a blast. Your kids are the perfect age to enjoy it.

You really have nothing to lose by trying it. You can walk there and it is free.

Oh and the water is not rough at all, like lake water. And 4 ships is actually not all that crowded. I have been there with 7. I didn’t even know the port held seven ships. You will not have any problem with crowds at Junkanoo. There is plenty of room to spread out.

Just a note about Cococay....We were there this past week on Tuesday and the water was full of seaweed and jellyfish. I don’t know what happened but it’s the worst I’ve ever seen Coco Cay and I have been there many times over the years. I hope they get it cleaned up. We hardly spend any time in the water for fear of getting stung.

Just a note about Cococay....We were there this past week on Tuesday and the water was full of seaweed and jellyfish. I don’t know what happened but it’s the worst I’ve ever seen Coco Cay and I have been there many times over the years. I hope they get it cleaned up. We hardly spend any time in the water for fear of getting stung.

Oh no, that's a real shame. Haven't heard that one before. Was really looking forward to Coco Cay. Is the beach long? Maybe clearer at another end?

Thanks for the warning. We'll be there in 2.5 weeks so not much after you.

The children will be fine there. To them a beach is a beach!

Enjoy!

Not my kids! We took them to Junkanoo once when we missed the private island and docked there early, they were disappointed. They loved cabbage beach, but they are beach kids who can spend hours in the water swimming and body surfing.

I was there last November. Super easy walk from port. :)

My problem: We got there early. Prime real estate with loungers. Ahhh...

As the day progressed, loungers were set up all around us with super rude people from all Cruise Ships who just woke up and decided they owned the beach. The Bar there is overrated. Lousy service.

The water was beautiful, but I will never go back. Gonna book a Resort Day Pass next time...

JMO :)

Not my kids! We took them to Junkanoo once when we missed the private island and docked there early, they were disappointed. They loved cabbage beach, but they are beach kids who can spend hours in the water swimming and body surfing.

~~~~~

Once again, you have no useful info to share...

Keep up that count!

What does Junkanoo beach charge for chairs and umbrella? And could we bring our own drinks?

Chairs and umbrellas are usually $10 ea., but you can negotiate, and some places have deals that include food and drinks.

You can bring you're own drinks, but no glass.

You can NOT bring food or drinks from the ship, but you can stop at the liquor store and small grocer (Bayside) along the way.

Don't expect the tiki bar to give you cups and ice, they are usually not that gracious.

• 2 months later...