Amazing Nights question

lmf914

We are on two sailings with no sea days (little time to relax) and are not big into jazz. Would we truly be missing out on something if we didn't go to the amazing evening and opted to stay on the ship for the night to relax? Is it something that we can't miss? I'm afraid we will get there and my husband will be bored, then we would be stuck until it was time to come back. I've heard some nightmares of getting to the venue. Do many people stay onboard? Just trying to see what will work best. Also thinking since we are B2B that maybe we could do it the first week and then maybe skip the second week if it wasn't our thing.

If the jazz one you mention is the Classic Jazz concert in Ravenna, then I’d say give it a miss. We went to it on our July cruise and rather wished we hadn’t. The theatre was beautiful, but the music was not our thing at all. It was modern Jazz, very noisy. People who like modern Jazz really enjoyed it, and the musicians certainly were accomplished - but we wished we’d stayed on the ship.

The whole event took us 2 and a half hours - we left the ship at 7:30 & got back at 10.

We find Azamazing evenings vary tremendously. The best one we’ve been to was in Bangkok.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on two sailings with no sea days (little time to relax) and are not big into jazz. Would we truly be missing out on something if we didn't go to the amazing evening and opted to stay on the ship for the night to relax? Is it something that we can't miss? I'm afraid we will get there and my husband will be bored, then we would be stuck until it was time to come back. I've heard some nightmares of getting to the venue. Do many people stay onboard? Just trying to see what will work best. Also thinking since we are B2B that maybe we could do it the first week and then maybe skip the second week if it wasn't our thing.

Only you will know what does or doesnt interest you. Of our 7 cruises we have only attended 2 Azamazing evenings. We chose wisely and both were very good. If you feel there are elements that wouldnt interest you then I would give them a miss.

On the times we stayed on board we thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Sometimes there are 40-50 non attendees, other times more. We ate in Discoveries, quite leisurely and enjoyed a little more time to chat with our wait staff. A couple of times a film was shown in the Cabaret lounge. Another time we sat in the Living room and watched the world go by. We also chatted with other guests over coffee in Mosaics.

We met another couple in Discoveries on our first non Azamazing evening in 2014, got chatting and shared a couple of other evenings with them and we are still in contact with them today. If we had attended the Azamazing evening we may have never met them! (You know who you are 😂!)

Bear in mind you dont have to make your decision until on board , a few days before the event.

It'd help if you told us what cruises you're talking about so we know where the Azamazing Evenings are and what exactly they are. How do you know it's a jazz theme? You must've gotten that info. from somewhere so right now, you know more than we do. ;)

I was finally able to look it up. I honestly just assumed it was Jazz or some kind of instrumental music based on what others have said they had. Found that the first week it is an A cappella group in Slovenia. We have a 7 hour tour that day so will probably not attend this one, unless someone says it is not to miss. The second one is a cello player in Dubrovnik, not really our thing but again we will wait to see what others say. I'm thinking it would be nice to just spend some quiet time on the ship or maybe book a specialty restaurant these nights (if they are open). I am open to anyone's feedback about either if they have experienced them.

The Evening in Koper is a five-minute walk from the ship. You go up an elevator across from the dock and walk a hundred yards or so to get to it. The town seals off the main town square and it's set up exclusively for the Evening. You're surrounded by the church, town hall, and a palace. Several wineries serve their wine and there is an assortment of local nibbles. It's a beautiful setting. The a cappella group (40 or 50 people) is excellent and the songs are upbeat and fun, some popular and some traditional to Slovenia.

If you for some reason didn't care for it you could walk back to the ship in five minutes. We intend to go again when we go back in 2019.

The cellist would be top Croatian performer Ana Rucner. She performed for our Azamazing evening in Dubrovnik a couple of weeks ago and it was a magical night.

She’s very theatrical, not at all what you’d imagine a cello performance would be. It was held in a small square, with a backdrop of a beautifully lit old church.

We were back to back and the evening in Marseille on our second cruise was a flop. That was our seventh Azamazing evening and the only disappointment.

The Evening in Koper is a five-minute walk from the ship. You go up an elevator across from the dock and walk a hundred yards or so to get to it. The town seals off the main town square and it's set up exclusively for the Evening. You're surrounded by the church, town hall, and a palace. Several wineries serve their wine and there is an assortment of local nibbles. It's a beautiful setting. The a cappella group (40 or 50 people) is excellent and the songs are upbeat and fun, some popular and some traditional to Slovenia.

If you for some reason didn't care for it you could walk back to the ship in five minutes. We intend to go again when we go back in 2019.

Thank you so much ch for all of the information. We will definitely give it a try.

We saw the Slovenian acapella group - Perpetuum Jazzile - last year and loved them. You can check them out on You Tube. And as marinaro stated, the venue was very close. It was a bit chilly but they passed out blankets so everyone was comfortable. One of the best AzAmazing events we've seen.

You never know what you’ll get on an Azamazing Evening. Our first one, in Jordan, was sort of disappointing, but our second one, in Thailand, was such a delight that we will attend Azamazing Evenings forever more. I would hate to miss something as special and quirky as that. We were lucky enough to hear a speech given by the lovely, very gracious and apparently demented emcee before a traditional dance performance. The dancing was excellent, and well worth seeing, but it was the speech that made the evening for us. After every few sentences of her speech, the emcee would fold her hands, compose herself, and slowly give us a very wide and somewhat frightening smile. Having held that for a few seconds, she would continue on with her speech. We were so enchanted, and so involved in anticipating the next pause, that we completely lost track of the speech itself. I couldn’t tell you anything she said, but I can still recall the pause, the hand folding and that smile.

There is one on every cruise that’s a week or more, except for transatlantic cruises. If your’s is the 4 day Cuba cruise, there won’t be one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks -- yes, I am on the 4-day Cuba cruise. Just a taster; hopefully will be back for more. :D