HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:56 AM.
Northern VA & DC
19,568 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by DebOinKC
Another 'old lady' here with a question LOL

Do you have to have a pay-pal account? I thought that all you need is a credit card.
Either will work - some prefer the added layer of security that comes with using paypal.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Golf! A game invented by people who think good music comes from bagpipes.
Upstate NY
319 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by cookingkh
You can follow the car’s progress as it makes it to you. You will get the drivers name and make of car and license plate to look for. When done, don’t forget to rate the driver on the app.

Originally posted by BNBR
The app will also tell you what kind of car is coming. Always confirm with the driver that it's YOUR driver before jumping in!

Great advice to remember to check that the car that pulls up is in fact an Uber driver (and not just some random person) and also matches the driver and car/plate you are expecting. The driver will also have the name of who they are there to pick up.

It’s easy to sometimes get into a rush especially at the airport when there may be many people waiting for Uber cars. Have had it happen a couple of times where people started to get into the car that was there for us thinking it was theirs. Thinking they would have been in for quite a surprise when they wound up at their destination if they didn’t happen to be going where we were!

It really is a quick and easy way to get around once you get the hang of it!
Canada
233 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
so I have a question. If I want my driver to first stop at a grocery store to pick up wine before my cruise how do I let them know? My end destination is the port, do I just ask the driver if they will stop? I understand I'll pay for them to wait and all.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida!
15,849 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by 4cats4me
If surge pricing is in effect though rates can go as high as 1.2x
Or 1.8x or 2.5x the normal Uber rates in certain locations
I don’t think surge rates will be a problem in Miami getting to the cruise port, as there are tons of Uber drivers, but surges can happen sometimes during peak periods in certain markets and when there are few drivers available.
We have had surge rates 10x so it certainly can go up much higher.

Originally posted by biksgirl
so I have a question. If I want my driver to first stop at a grocery store to pick up wine before my cruise how do I let them know? My end destination is the port, do I just ask the driver if they will stop? I understand I'll pay for them to wait and all.
Ask the driver nicely and throwing in a couple of extra dollars would not hurt. Time is money.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My Miami Blog!
California
5,579 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by BlueHerons
We have had surge rates 10x so it certainly can go up much higher.

Ask the driver nicely and throwing in a couple of extra dollars would not hurt. Time is money.

Yikes! I had no idea surges could go that high! Hmm, that $7 pp shuttle from the Hyatt Place is looking better by the minute.

We tried to Uber back from Las Olas to Crown Plaza hotel by FLL. It was around $7 to get to Las Olas, but surge pricing for the return would have cost $18 to $21. It was only 4 pm. Guess all the drunks celebrating happy hour were summoning Uber.
We ended up yellow cabbing it for $12.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Holiday 1992;
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 1994;
Celebrity Infinity 2001;
Star Princess 2003;
Diamond Princess 2004, 2005;
Sapphire Princess 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011;
Emerald Princess 2008;
RCCL Mariner of the Seas 2010;
Golden Princess 2003, 2007, 2011;
Celebrity Equinox 2013, 2014;
Grand Princess 2014, 2016;
Regal Princess 2015, 2016, 2017;
Mediterranean 12-night cruise 10/07/15:
RCCL Vision of the Seas;
(Barcelona, Cannes, Florence , Rome,
Salerno, Athens, Santorini, Kusadasi, Turkey, and back to Barthelona)
Next Up:
Celebrity Equinox 10/06/17 10-day ABC Islands, all-inclusive steal of a deal 🍸
Royal Princess 4/08/18 Caribbean
Crown Princess 10/02/18 11-night Mediterranean Barcelona-Rome
Royal Princess 2019, West Coast, Mexico 🇲🇽
242 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by packedandready
Dh and I will be flying into fll, staying overnight in Miami and sail from Miami and we'd like to use uber (first timers...uber, not cruising). To be honest, I'm a little nervous and have a few questions.

1. Should we tip the driver and if so, how much? I've had conflicting advice about this.

2. I downloaded the uber app about a year ago and linked it with paypay. Haven't donw anything with it since. Do I need to check anything to make sure everything is right?

3. We'll be using it from fll to Holiday Inn Port of Miami, Holiday Inn to the cruise port and then the cruise port back to fll. ANY information/tips is appreciated. I'm ASSUMING I wait till we get our luggage to call from fll. Should I preschedule for Holiday Inn to port since it's going to be a busy time? Any problems getting a car from the port back to the airport?

See...I do need help..................

Good morning,

Long time Uber user here as well as long time in the technology business.

1) I believe that Uber now has a tipping feature that will appear at the end of the ride on the Uber app. You can also tip the driver in cash.

2) You can use a credit card also with Uber as well as PayPal and a few other sources. Go to Payments in the Menu and add them there.

3) Definitely wait for your luggage before calling for your Uber. In most airports, you’ll have to go to a specific pick-up point.

Finally, if you’ve never used Uber before, get a promo code from an existing Uber rider to get a $15 discount on your first ride. The person you received the code from also gets $15 off.

If you need a code, use mine: 6y3g9

Happy sailing!

Neal in Cincinnati.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
3,552 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by WVU_Neal
Good morning,

Long time Uber user here as well as long time in the technology business.

1) I believe that Uber now has a tipping feature that will appear at the end of the ride on the Uber app. You can also tip the driver in cash.

2) You can use a credit card also with Uber as well as PayPal and a few other sources. Go to Payments in the Menu and add them there.

3) Definitely wait for your luggage before calling for your Uber. In most airports, you’ll have to go to a specific pick-up point.

Finally, if you’ve never used Uber before, get a promo code from an existing Uber rider to get a $15 discount on your first ride. The person you received the code from also gets $15 off.

If you need a code, use mine: 6y3g9

Happy sailing!

Neal in Cincinnati.
Thanks for the rundown. Will the code be good for our trip 3-31 or if someone else sees it can it be used and then not valid?
Spain
1,176 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
I found an app called ride.guru which lists all the ways I can get from my hotel to Port Everglades. Has anyone used this? If I go with Uber, do I have to download their app first, also can you pay in cash or does it have to be by credit card.

TIA from another old lady arriving from UK via Spain. Spain doesn't have Uber!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sunrise, FL
81 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
We used Uber XL to Port Everglades on 2/18/18 approx. 20 miles and it cost $48. Upon return of cruise on 2/25, was going to Uber, but when put in info, it told me Surge Pricing was 2.2 times higher and that it would cost $109. We did not Uber, we stood in line for a taxi which cost $44.
Northern VA & DC
19,568 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by jefa
I found an app called ride.guru which lists all the ways I can get from my hotel to Port Everglades. Has anyone used this? If I go with Uber, do I have to download their app first, also can you pay in cash or does it have to be by credit card.

TIA from another old lady arriving from UK via Spain. Spain doesn't have Uber!!!!
Never heard of ride guru.

For Uber or Lyft you do need to download and set up the apps on your smart phone - the fare is credit card or pay-pal only. You can tip in cash or add it to your fare in the app.

If this helps you owe me a pint - San Miguel will be fine!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Spain
1,176 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by JohninDC
Never heard of ride guru.

For Uber or Lyft you do need to download and set up the apps on your smart phone - the fare is credit card or pay-pal only. You can tip in cash or add it to your fare in the app.

If this helps you owe me a pint - San Miguel will be fine!
Thanks JohninDC!! I've only got Mahou in my fridge, will that do!!! Is it likely that our hotel will call us a cab for when we need one?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

242 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by packedandready
Thanks for the rundown. Will the code be good for our trip 3-31 or if someone else sees it can it be used and then not valid?

That promo code does not expire and can be used by any first time Uber rider. It only works on your first ride.

Enjoy,

Neal from Cincinnati.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Northern VA & DC
19,568 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by jefa
Thanks JohninDC!! I've only got Mahou in my fridge, will that do!!! Is it likely that our hotel will call us a cab for when we need one?
The hotel front desk will call a cab for you - they know who is reliable.

Mahou will be fine! Actually any beer that is cold and not Tusker Lager (Kenya - don't ask) will be fine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature