Falklands Shore Excursion

kbwinn

• 3 weeks later...

kbwinn, My husband & I were on the Seabourn Quest's Antarctica cruise in January and did the Volunteer Point excursion in the Falklands. It was so much fun and incredibly memorable! The King penguins were magnificent, and the getting there by 4x4 was quite the adventure. I have a blog post on our day there with photos & info on our excursion, which you might find helpful.

http://www.themodernpostcard.com/the-falkland-islands-a-bumpy-boggy-journey-to-volunteer-point/

Best of luck with your plans!

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

Yes, the all day to Volunteer Point is well worth it. Our driver took us on a little tour of Stanley on our return, it took about 10 minutes.

May I suggest Estancia Excursions. Excellent service and never a problem complying with the ship's sailing schedule. About 1/2 the price of the ship.

While the King penguins are a big part of Volunteer Point there are also nice groups of Gentoo and Magellanic penguins there. Our trip was in December, as the chicks were hatching for the Gentoos and Magellanics.

Disclaimer: I am male, so shopping was not a considered in my opinion. :cool:

kbwinn, My husband & I were on the Seabourn Quest's Antarctica cruise in January and did the Volunteer Point excursion in the Falklands. It was so much fun and incredibly memorable! The King penguins were magnificent, and the getting there by 4x4 was quite the adventure. I have a blog post on our day there with photos & info on our excursion, which you might find helpful.

http://www.themodernpostcard.com/the-falkland-islands-a-bumpy-boggy-journey-to-volunteer-point/

Mary

Travel Blog: www.themodernpostcard.com

Thanks for sharing the link to your blog. We are there in January 2018 and fingers crossed that the weather allows us to get an experience like yours.

• 1 month later...
Hello. My wife and I are taking a Seabourn Cruise of 42 days in length next year to Antarctica. We are seasoned cruise people (QM2' date=' etc) but are a trifle shocked by the prices of the Onshore Excursions being offered. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks.[/quote']

Landings in Antarctica are usually included in the cost of the trip...

However, can you be more specific about the excursions? If they're not solely in the Falklands it might be best to start your own thread rather than tag onto this one.

Mary

Hello. My wife and I are due to cruise from Valparaiso to Manaus next February (2018).

We are seasoned cruisers (QM2, etc) and are keen to visit the ports of call and the surrounding sites.

We cannot understand why some of these events are priced as they are.

For example: Trekking in Ushuaia

Departs: 3:30 PM Approximately 4 HoursPrice $114.00

We think $114 for a stroll in the area is a trifle pricey. What is it that costs so much?

There are many other shore cruises that seem to be quite high. We have been to India, Sri Lanka, etc and have found the trips quite reasonable.

All comments gracefully received.

Thanks.

Glyn and Lis

As I suggested earlier, you will get a better response if you start a new thread with a suitable title. This thread is about 'Falklands Shore Excursions' and so you are unlikely to reach many who have the width of experiences you wish to draw on.

Hello. My wife and I are due to cruise from Valparaiso to Manaus next February (2018).

We are seasoned cruisers (QM2' date=' etc) and are keen to visit the ports of call and the surrounding sites.

We cannot understand why some of these events are priced as they are.

For example: Trekking in Ushuaia

Departs: 3:30 PM Approximately 4 HoursPrice $114.00

We think $114 for a stroll in the area is a trifle pricey. What is it that costs so much?

There are many other shore cruises that seem to be quite high. We have been to India, Sri Lanka, etc and have found the trips quite reasonable.

All comments gracefully received.

Thanks.

Glyn and Lis

The price of $114 pp for a 4 hour tour offered by Seabourn is in line with this cruise line's pricing. Their tours generally are priced between $79 pp for a short (3-4 hour) casual driving tour of a port's highlight, to several hundred dollars pp for a 6-8 tour in a port. From the title, I'm guessing it's guided hiking in the national park or forest in Ushuaia, which is not in the Falklands by the way, for 4 hours with transfers, so $114 would be reasonable for Seabourn.

If you were just taking an Antarctic cruise, then most to all of your tours would be included in your total price, but your cruise is a longer sailing that includes Antarctica in the itinerary, so you'll have port excursions offered along the way.

Why don't you arrange some private tours separate from the ship in the non-Antarctic ports, such as Ushuaia? If you need help filling them, you may do well to post them on your Roll Call for your sailing to interest fellow cruisers.

The price of $114 pp for a 4 hour tour offered by Seabourn is in line with this cruise line's pricing. Their tours generally are priced between $79 pp for a short (3-4 hour) casual driving tour of a port's highlight, to several hundred dollars pp for a 6-8 tour in a port. From the title, I'm guessing it's guided hiking in the national park or forest in Ushuaia, which is not in the Falklands by the way, for 4 hours with transfers, so $114 would be reasonable for Seabourn.

If you were just taking an Antarctic cruise, then most to all of your tours would be included in your total price, but your cruise is a longer sailing that includes Antarctica in the itinerary, so you'll have port excursions offered along the way.

Why don't you arrange some private tours separate from the ship in the non-Antarctic ports, such as Ushuaia? If you need help filling them, you may do well to post them on your Roll Call for your sailing to interest fellow cruisers.

Thank you for the information. Will explore your ideas.

• 1 month later...

Mary

Travel Blog: http://www.themodernpostcard.com

Great information - thanks for taking the time to write a detailed blog and sharing with us!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Mary

I'd appreciate any information that can be shared about how difficult the 4x4 journey is for those with "sensitive" backs. Thank you.

I'd appreciate any information that can be shared about how difficult the 4x4 journey is for those with "sensitive" backs. Thank you.

notjaded, That's a tough question. I can tell you that my husband and I also have sensitive backs and had no problem. The ride over the bogs is bumpy, but quite slow. No one in our caravan mentioned any problems, but I imagine that people with serious back issues would not have considered the journey. I have a short video in my blog post which will give you a little insight to what the ride is like:

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/the-falkland-islands-a-bumpy-boggy-journey-to-volunteer-point/

Good luck with your decision! I can tell you for sure that Volunteer Point was a wonderful, memorable experience and one of the many highlights of our Antarctica cruise :)

~Mary

notjaded, That's a tough question. I can tell you that my husband and I also have sensitive backs and had no problem. The ride over the bogs is bumpy, but quite slow. No one in our caravan mentioned any problems, but I imagine that people with serious back issues would not have considered the journey. I have a short video in my blog post which will give you a little insight to what the ride is like:

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/the-falkland-islands-a-bumpy-boggy-journey-to-volunteer-point/

Good luck with your decision! I can tell you for sure that Volunteer Point was a wonderful, memorable experience and one of the many highlights of our Antarctica cruise :)

~Mary

Hi Mary,

Many thanks for your feedback and blog video. I'll show that to my wife, who is the one with the sensitive back.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you'd have a problem. As was already said, the trip is bumpy but it is rather slow. The seats in the Land Rover (at least ours) seemed to have decent cushions as well.