American Queen Cabin Comments

LDVinNC

We have taken six trips on the American Queen, and so far have sailed in 4 cabin categories.

The first time was a C cabin on Deck 3 – I think it was 317. The cabin was small, had a bath with shower only, but we loved the location in terms on proximity to the Front Porch (especially for our early morning tea in the cabin) and that deck 3 is the middle deck, so going up and down to other decks was not a long haul. Open verandah with people passing by but the verandah is quite wide on this deck.

The next time we got a free upgrade to an A cabin on Deck 5 – I think 525. Much larger cabin with a bathtub. Again open verandah but narrower than on Deck 3 – people passing by heading for the River Grill at the stern, but not a whole lot of traffic.

Twice we had B cabins – one was 417 which was probably our favorite in terms of all the cabins we have stayed in. One deck up from the Front Porch, towards the bow, good size (as AQ cabins go!) and bath with tub. The other B cabin we had – the first week of the last trip – was 402 which we HATED. Up at the bow with an observation deck in front, and right next to the Chart Room with constant traffic. Twice people tried to enter the cabin not realizing it was a private door. And, folks kept pulling rocking chairs right to our door to get out of the sun, and other times people “stole” our outside chairs. Also, people walking the deck came very close to our door. I would absolutely recommend not choosing this cabin, nor 401 which has the same situation on the other side of the boat.

The second week of the last trip we had an AAA cabin – 520. This was an accessible cabin – we did not request it, but it was assigned to us – but really the only difference was a big bathroom and wider doors. In fact, we wondered why an accessible cabin would have a tub instead of just a shower. We liked the extra space, doors both out to the deck and to the inner corridor, and the priority dinner seating but would not pay the extra again when we were just as happy with 417.

Next time we have booked 201 which is a C cabin with both a bay window and a deck off to the side. The deck is not private, but 2 chairs are reserved for 201 and there are only a couple of other chairs there. We got to take a look at it and like it a lot. We were told it is the most requested cabin on the boat. We’ll see how it goes.

we went onto that balcony by 202 a few times but it reeked of oil & fumes I hope you have better luck on the other side

plus the crew were out there a lot it was noisy

we were in the cabins 204 & 206

I liked the bay window in 204 better it was a slightly different layout

both had the tub/shower combo in the bathroom

enjoy

Thanks - I too hope the other side is better! We did go out on that balcony several times over the 2 weeks we were on the boat this month, and did not notice any fumes or noise.

Anyway, it cannot be worse than our time in 402 which we really did not like at all. We even asked to be moved, but the boat was full.