Diving in Cap Cana (Punta Cana) DR

perfect match

Our upcoming cruise has been diverted from our originally planned port stop in San Juan due to the damage from Maria. We will now be stopping in Cap Cana, Dominican Republic. I had planned to spend our day in San Juan on land, with my non-diving husband. Now, I'm wondering if I should consider booking a dive in Cap Cana. I do not know much about the port area there, what the diving is like, or about any dive shops located near the port. I've already booked my dives in Bonaire and Curacao, so I won't be too disappointed if I do not dive in Cap Cana, but I would love to get in a couple more dives if you guys think it is worth diving there. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your replies. :D

Astron wreck looks interesting .....

never heard of a cruise stopping here ... don't see a pier so I guess you tender ...

a quick google comes up with 3 dive shops ....

https://www.dresseldivers.com/dive/dominican-republic/punta-cana-scuba-diving/

https://www.seaprodivers.com/scuba-diving-punta-cana/

http://www.diving-idc-bavaro-puntacana-bayahibe.com/

Edited by Capt_BJ

Astron wreck looks interesting .....

never heard of a cruise stopping here ... don't see a pier so I guess you tender ...

a quick google comes up with 3 dive shops ....

https://www.dresseldivers.com/dive/dominican-republic/punta-cana-scuba-diving/

https://www.seaprodivers.com/scuba-diving-punta-cana/

http://www.diving-idc-bavaro-puntacana-bayahibe.com/

You're right, Capt_BJ, not many cruise ships stop there. So far, I've seen a few cruise lines that run really small ships have been all I could find. However, with so many ports in the Caribbean closed due to hurricane damage that is where we will be going. Our ship, Koningsdam, may be the largest ship to port in Cap Cana, so getting into port and tendering in could be interesting. There does seem to be a number of upscale resorts, mostly all inclusives in the area.

One of my roll call members found this place

http://bluevisionadventures.net/about-us/

and has already booked with them. I'm still trying to find someone eho has actually been diving there before I make any decisions.

I will check out the links you posted. Thanks for sharing them.

I have been searching on a message board devoted strictly to scuba. The Punta Cana area does not have much info, and the info I did find talks about very choppy water, surge, trash in the water, and not many fish. Better diving seems to be available on the other side of the island, about an hour away. Not sure I want to go that far. :(

I'm still open to listening to what any of you who have dived Punta Cana may have to say. More cruises will be calling on Cap Cana, at least for now, so I'm sure I won't be the only one interested in diving there.

I patrolled this area on and off for over 10 years .... this is the Mona Passage with Punta Cana on the eastern tip of Dominican Republic

IME I never saw much in the way of dive activity in this area. A little at Desecheo Island, 13 miles off the coast of Puerto Rico up Rincon way and a bit coastally on the west side of PR. A little around Mona Island but this was a protected area with resident park rangers to chase folks away ..

I'm not sure what is meant by "on the other side of the island, about an hour away" as Punta Cana is not on an 'island' except that of Hispanola and the other side of the island in Haiti ... the island being approx 400 across at the widest point east to west.

perhaps reference is being made to Cap Cana area which is south of Punta Cana versus the locations of dive shops as most are north of Punta Cana. The wreck I mentioned is approx 15 miles north of Cap Cana area. Via Google Earth I do note more of a 'reef' on the north side ...

Most of the diving mentioned seems to bottom out at 40 to 50 feet.

When I patrolled the Carb', I visited most places that had some decent R&R and a pier big enuf to host us. Never was here but was to Romana, Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo many times each. An avid diver with my gear always with me on the ship I was not tempted to go diving in these ports ... but this area has seen signifiance development and D.R. has become aware that their beaches were all washing away and tourist dollars with it so there is new concern for conservation.

happy bubbles

Sorry I wasn't very clear with reference to where I heard the best diving would be found. I should have specified the area around La Romana and Bayahibe. I really don't want to go that far, so either I'll suck it up and see for myself what diving in Cap Cana has to offer, or forget about diving that day and plan an adventure on land with DH. I've seen ziplines there that look like fun.

Thank you very much for your insight, Capt_BJ. I appreciate you taking the time to share with me.

• 3 weeks later...
Our upcoming cruise has been diverted from our originally planned port stop in San Juan due to the damage from Maria. We will now be stopping in Cap Cana, Dominican Republic. I had planned to spend our day in San Juan on land, with my non-diving husband. Now, I'm wondering if I should consider booking a dive in Cap Cana. I do not know much about the port area there, what the diving is like, or about any dive shops located near the port. I've already booked my dives in Bonaire and Curacao, so I won't be too disappointed if I do not dive in Cap Cana, but I would love to get in a couple more dives if you guys think it is worth diving there. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your replies. :D

Perfect Match, I’m jus starting to plan cruise stops in Curaçao and Bonaire, can I ask what operations that you went with?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 weeks later...
Perfect Match, I’m jus starting to plan cruise stops in Curaçao and Bonaire, can I ask what operations that you went with?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. We got home from our trip & immediately got caught up in holiday prep and everything else that I fall behind in doing when I'm away for a while.

I dove with VIP in Bonaire, and with Atlantis Diving in Curacao. I was very happy with both.

In Curacao, Atlantis has a trip specifically designed for cruise divers that can a lso accomodate snorkelers. It was a good choice for us since my DM is not a diver, but does enjoy snorkeling. I enjoyed the fact that he was able to spend the day with me and have some fun snorkeling while I had 2 great beach dives. I tried to add some turtle pictures from the second dive, but my tablet isn't cooperating so I couldn't get it to work.

Both dives in Bonaire were shore dives as well, and both were pretty great as well!

I was also in the same situation with PR diverting to Cap Cana. Looked at a few dive excursions and they said anything decent would be by Catalina Island. Due to distance to dive ops, lack of pickup and late arrival, all for some lame diving, we decided to forgo diving there and focus on diving in the ABC islands.

• 2 months later...

I have stayed in Cap Cana. The boats tender in. Not much to do in Cap Cana. The closest dive shop is Blue Vision Adventures and they are great. They can pickup in Cap Cana. Only about 10 min to the shop. Their boats go appt 5-10min off shore. Lots to see...wrecks, turtles, sharks, 6foot barracuda, coral restoration gardens. Small very personal dive shop...super friendly and professional. They also will take to Bayahibe where it is calmer. Catalina Island is great also. http://Www.bluevisionadventures.net

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Forums mobile app