Question from sea sick prone family

cruising7

We are considering N.Y. or Boston to Bermuda in June 2019 on Gem or Escape.. How do the seas compare to carribean cruises? We have done east and west from various Florida ports in June and April. Smaller ships make us more likely to have issues and western is usually rougher than eastern. This is a totally different route and part of the sea so just wondering how it compares. Clearly I know there are tons of variables with weather and yes I know about meds for this. Just curious in general.

Thanks!

It’s really no different- we’ve done it several times on large ships and smaller ships and it’s been fairly calm. This isn’t like making a transatlantic crossing- you’re in open ocean but essentially sail along the coast until about Virginia where you turn off for Bermuda.

If you’re sailing from Boston I wouldn’t rule out HAL Veendam- I think it’s a better sea boat than Gem- have sailed both and Veendam was much smoother.

Never have sailed Escape but with something that huge and unwieldy I can’t imagine you even know you’re at sea let alone feel anything less than 20 ft swells. We’ve also taken Celebrity Summit from NY which we enjoyed and handled the trip down quite well.

Bottom line is this isn’t the Drake Passage- it’s not going to be any more or less rough than you would get in the Caribbean. Purely luck of the draw on weather of course but the time of year that they sail there the sea tends to be very tame.

western is usually rougher than eastern.

I have cruised Eastern and Western multiple times and I’ve found rough (as well as calm) seas on both. No route stands out as being worse. You just never know what Mother Nature is going to throw your way until it’s time to sail. Same applies to Bermuda sailings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are considering N.Y. or Boston to Bermuda in June 2019 on Gem or Escape.. How do the seas compare to carribean cruises? We have done east and west from various Florida ports in June and April. Smaller ships make us more likely to have issues and western is usually rougher than eastern. This is a totally different route and part of the sea so just wondering how it compares. Clearly I know there are tons of variables with weather and yes I know about meds for this. Just curious in general.

Thanks!

In general it is rougher seas to Bermuda and for cruises out of the northeast. The ship will be sailing in the open Atlantic Ocean and if there are rough seas the Captain can’t make the kind of alterations possible in the Caribbean to mitigate the impact.

It’s really no different- we’ve done it several times on large ships and smaller ships and it’s been fairly calm. This isn’t like making a transatlantic crossing- you’re in open ocean but essentially sail along the coast until about Virginia where you turn off for Bermuda.

If you’re sailing from Boston I wouldn’t rule out HAL Veendam- I think it’s a better sea boat than Gem- have sailed both and Veendam was much smoother.

Never have sailed Escape but with something that huge and unwieldy I can’t imagine you even know you’re at sea let alone feel anything less than 20 ft swells. We’ve also taken Celebrity Summit from NY which we enjoyed and handled the trip down quite well.

Bottom line is this isn’t the Drake Passage- it’s not going to be any more or less rough than you would get in the Caribbean. Purely luck of the draw on weather of course but the time of year that they sail there the sea tends to be very tame.

We haven't sailed Escape yet (going in June) either but have done Breakaway and to Bermuda the Dawn. There have been reports from people that the Escape was more prone to side-to-side sway then the BA. Not sure why and doesn't seem to make a lot of sense other than maybe due to it being a bit taller?

We haven't sailed Escape yet (going in June) either but have done Breakaway and to Bermuda the Dawn. There have been reports from people that the Escape was more prone to side-to-side sway then the BA. Not sure why and doesn't seem to make a lot of sense other than maybe due to it being a bit taller?

It was most likely coincidental based on weather and sea conditions- there’s no way that both ships handling characteristics are that different. Doesn’t surprised me they sway though- that’s what happens when you take an ugly apartment building, lay it on its side, and make it float.